1.8 Duron vs XP2000

Rob

I have just bought a XP2400 and was going to stick the XP2000 in our other
PC which has a 1.8 Duron in it. Silly question coming up...

Which is better, the duron or the athlon? I know the athlon is only running
at 1.67Ghz but is it worth swapping them over?

Regards

Rob

Wes Newell

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 06:59:03 +0000, Rob wrote:

> I have just bought a XP2400 and was going to stick the XP2000 in our other
> PC which has a 1.8 Duron in it. Silly question coming up...
>
> Which is better, the duron or the athlon? I know the athlon is only running
> at 1.67Ghz but is it worth swapping them over?

If you don't overclock either of them, they're probably pretty close to
the same perfomance levels with the Athlon wining if the extra cache is
used and the Duron wining if the extra cache is not used.

Useko Netsumi

Dear Wes,

I have KT7-RAID(non-A version) with, I thinks, 7/11/2002 BIOS update.
I'm running AMD Athlon 800MHz at this time, but need to upgrade for Adobe
Premiere 7 software requirement, namely, SSE('Streaming SIMD Extensions').

What AMD version should I get to upgrade my current CPU?
Athlon XP?, Duron?, what speed?

Thanks

"Wes Newell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsan.2004.08.31.09.03.09.130340@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 06:59:03 +0000, Rob wrote:
>
> > I have just bought a XP2400 and was going to stick the XP2000 in our

other
> > PC which has a 1.8 Duron in it. Silly question coming up...
> >
> > Which is better, the duron or the athlon? I know the athlon is only

running
> > at 1.67Ghz but is it worth swapping them over?
> >

> If you don't overclock either of them, they're probably pretty close to
> the same perfomance levels with the Athlon wining if the extra cache is
> used and the Duron wining if the extra cache is not used.
>
> --

Useko Netsumi

Will the following works for KT7-RAID(non-A version)?

AMD Athlon XP-M 2400+
2.00GHz, 512KB, 333MHz, Socket A

Thanks

"Useko Netsumi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear Wes,
>
> I have KT7-RAID(non-A version) with, I thinks, 7/11/2002 BIOS update.
> I'm running AMD Athlon 800MHz at this time, but need to upgrade for Adobe
> Premiere 7 software requirement, namely, SSE('Streaming SIMD Extensions').
>
> What AMD version should I get to upgrade my current CPU?
> Athlon XP?, Duron?, what speed?
>
> Thanks
>

> "Wes Newell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsan.2004.08.31.09.03.09.130340@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
> > On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 06:59:03 +0000, Rob wrote:
> >
> > > I have just bought a XP2400 and was going to stick the XP2000 in our

> other
> > > PC which has a 1.8 Duron in it. Silly question coming up...
> > >
> > > Which is better, the duron or the athlon? I know the athlon is only

> running
> > > at 1.67Ghz but is it worth swapping them over?
> > >

> > If you don't overclock either of them, they're probably pretty close to
> > the same perfomance levels with the Athlon wining if the extra cache is
> > used and the Duron wining if the extra cache is not used.
> >
> > --
> > Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
> > http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm

Wes Newell

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 02:14:06 -0400, Useko Netsumi wrote:

> Will the following works for KT7-RAID(non-A version)?
>
> AMD Athlon XP-M 2400+
> 2.00GHz, 512KB, 333MHz, Socket A

Any XP will work. The limitation will be if it's multiplier locked or not.
IOW's a new multiplier locked XP 2500+ has a locked multiplier of 11, so
it will only run at 11x100MHz FSB (1100MHz) in your board. The XP-M should
be unlocked and should let you set the multiplier higher. Your cheapest
route would be an older XP 2100+ Tbred B core, or 2400+. I've found used
ones on ebay for under $40. If you get a 2100+, you just need to make sure
that it's a B core. Don't worry about core of 2400+. They're all B cores.
Neither of these would need a modding, just drop it in and reboot at
2000MHz. But whichever you get, it needs to be an older unlocked model.
XP-M's and MP's are all unlocked I think, but they are expensive compared
to others.

Useko Netsumi

"Wes Newell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsan.2004.09.02.08.07.43.351141@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
> On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 02:14:06 -0400, Useko Netsumi wrote:
>
> > Will the following works for KT7-RAID(non-A version)?
> >
> > AMD Athlon XP-M 2400+
> > 2.00GHz, 512KB, 333MHz, Socket A
> >

> Any XP will work. The limitation will be if it's multiplier locked or not.
> IOW's a new multiplier locked XP 2500+ has a locked multiplier of 11, so
> it will only run at 11x100MHz FSB (1100MHz) in your board. The XP-M should
> be unlocked and should let you set the multiplier higher. Your cheapest
> route would be an older XP 2100+ Tbred B core, or 2400+. I've found used
> ones on ebay for under $40. If you get a 2100+, you just need to make sure
> that it's a B core. Don't worry about core of 2400+. They're all B cores.
> Neither of these would need a modding, just drop it in and reboot at
> 2000MHz. But whichever you get, it needs to be an older unlocked model.
> XP-M's and MP's are all unlocked I think, but they are expensive compared
> to others.
>
> --

Wes, I really appreciate your kind help(and lots of educational info as
well) and thank you for your insightful advise.

I will look around the model what you suggested.

Regards,

Useko

KT7A raid v1.0 - xp2000 ok? Flyfire Abit 2 09-06-2003 12:01 PM
PC 2100 RAM and XP2000 or Duron 1.2 GHz+ on NF7-S Bill L Abit 1 08-26-2003 06:45 AM
KT7A (Rev1.0) / XP2000+ / WinXP doesn't start Surfwienix Abit 9 08-21-2003 06:15 AM
KG7-Raid XP2000 CPU Mark Ryan Abit 0 08-15-2003 08:18 AM
KT7A and XP2000+ Trying to make it stable Paul Abit 8 08-04-2003 05:57 AM