1066 FSB vs. 1333 FSB?

Scotter

Hi -

I just purchased an Intel Quad Core QX6700 and some DDR2-800 RAM.
Wondering if there is any benefit to the motherboard I get supporting 1333
FSB vs. 1066?

--
Scotter

Peter B. P.

Scotter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I just purchased an Intel Quad Core QX6700 and some DDR2-800 RAM.
> Wondering if there is any benefit to the motherboard I get supporting 1333
> FSB vs. 1066?

1333/1066 = 1.25

ergo, a theoretical maximum performance boost of 25% for workloads with
large data sets and I/O heavy work.

--
regards , Peter B. P. - http://titancity.com/blog , http://macplanet.dk

If guns kill, do pencils cause spelling errors?

Scotter

Thanks! So are you saying the QX6700 combined with DDR2-800 RAM will easily
take advantage of an FSB of 1333?
--
Scotter
-
"Peter B. P." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1hukni1.1oan6ka1pkp0z5N%(E-Mail Removed) k...
> Scotter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Hi -
>>
>> I just purchased an Intel Quad Core QX6700 and some DDR2-800 RAM.
>> Wondering if there is any benefit to the motherboard I get supporting
>> 1333
>> FSB vs. 1066?

> 1333/1066 = 1.25
>
> ergo, a theoretical maximum performance boost of 25% for workloads with
> large data sets and I/O heavy work.
>
> --
> regards , Peter B. P. - http://titancity.com/blog , http://macplanet.dk
>
> If guns kill, do pencils cause spelling errors?

Peter B. P.

Scotter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Thanks! So are you saying the QX6700 combined with DDR2-800 RAM will easily
> take advantage of an FSB of 1333?
> --
> Scotter

No, I'm not. There will be *some* performance advantage, but probably
not much, especially if your CPU's cache is large (4 MB or better).

--
regards , Peter B. P. - http://titancity.com/blog , http://macplanet.dk

If guns kill, do pencils cause spelling errors?

General Schvantzkoph

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 09:46:20 -0600, Scotter wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I just purchased an Intel Quad Core QX6700 and some DDR2-800 RAM.
> Wondering if there is any benefit to the motherboard I get supporting
> 1333 FSB vs. 1066?

The FSB of the QX6700 is 1066 so 1333 on the bridge chips isn't going to
help you. I also doubt that you will be able to overclock the FSB on the
QX. The QX parts are two Dual Core chips bolted together in a single
package. Both chips are sharing the same FSB so the load is twice the
normal load which isn't going to give you a lot of headroom. The QX parts
also produce twice the heat as a Dual Core so it will probably be
difficult to do any overclocking. If you intend to try and do it you'll
probably want to get a monster cooler like a Thermaltake Big Typhoon or a
Zalman 9700.

Bill Davidsen

Scotter wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I just purchased an Intel Quad Core QX6700 and some DDR2-800 RAM.
> Wondering if there is any benefit to the motherboard I get supporting 1333
> FSB vs. 1066?

Many ASUS boards allow you to o/c the memory leaving the CPU at standard
speed. If you get a board with this feature you will see some
improvement on problems with very large data sets.

It should help more with quad, bandwidth to memory will be more
critical. But don't expect a big leap, I will guess 5-10% on just the
right data.

--
Bill Davidsen
He was a full-time professional cat, not some moonlighting

chrisv

Scotter wrote:

>Hi -
>
>I just purchased an Intel Quad Core QX6700 and some DDR2-800 RAM.
>Wondering if there is any benefit to the motherboard I get supporting 1333
>FSB vs. 1066?

Well, obviously faster is better, if it works.

Be careful, though, with your memory timings. On my Intel D975XBX, I
set my memory to 667 (no overclocking at all, and that's the way I
wanted it), but that "667" setting did not set the memory to 667. It
really set the memory clock to 5/4 the FSB clock, which, on a
non-overclocked machine would have been 266 * 5/4 = 333 DDR (or "667",
if you prefer).

So, when I overclocked the FSB to 333 QDR (or "1333 FSB"), the memory
came-along for the ride and was running 416 DDR (or "832").

The only way I noticed this was the report given by CPU-Z. To stop
overclocking my memory, I had to back into the BIOS to reduce the
memory:FSB ratio to 1:1 (it said 533, so it would really run at 667
with the overclocking).