10G CX4 ethernet for X4500

Peter Eriksson

I've so far found only one suitable 10G CX4 adapter
for use with the Sun Fire X4500, the:

Neterion Xframe II Sun Fire CX4 PCI-X

Are there other alternatives that I've missed?

(I want the CX4 interface, not fiber. Solaris driver
support required)

- Peter
Peter Eriksson <(E-Mail Removed)> Phone: +46 13 28 2786
Computer Systems Manager/BOFH Cell/GSM: +46 705 18 2786
Physics Department, Linköping University Room: Building F, F203

Cydrome Leader

Peter Eriksson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've so far found only one suitable 10G CX4 adapter
> for use with the Sun Fire X4500, the:
>
> Neterion Xframe II Sun Fire CX4 PCI-X
>
> Are there other alternatives that I've missed?
>
> (I want the CX4 interface, not fiber. Solaris driver
> support required)
>
> - Peter

I'm not sure on the drivers, but you may want to look at:

http://www.intel.com/Products/Server...4-overview.htm

The chipset is similar to the sun offered 10GBe card with optical ports
based off a similar chipset:

http://www.sun.com/products/networki...el/support.xml

Intel had/has a good developer/evaluation program that might be worth
checking out if you want to try out a costly card, and just send it back
if it doesn't cut it for you.

Peter Eriksson

Cydrome Leader <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>I'm not sure on the drivers, but you may want to look at:

>http://www.intel.com/Products/Server...4-overview.htm

>The chipset is similar to the sun offered 10GBe card with optical ports
>based off a similar chipset:

I've seen that one (and almost bought one), but as far as I can tell
it isn't a low-profile variant, and thus won't fit in the X4500...

- Peter
Peter Eriksson <(E-Mail Removed)> Phone: +46 13 28 2786
Computer Systems Manager/BOFH Cell/GSM: +46 705 18 2786
Physics Department, Linköping University Room: Building F, F203

Cydrome Leader

Peter Eriksson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Cydrome Leader <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>>I'm not sure on the drivers, but you may want to look at:

>>http://www.intel.com/Products/Server...4-overview.htm

>>The chipset is similar to the sun offered 10GBe card with optical ports
>>based off a similar chipset:

> I've seen that one (and almost bought one), but as far as I can tell
> it isn't a low-profile variant, and thus won't fit in the X4500...
>
> - Peter

Good point- that's card is a monster in size.

It's really too bad nobody has tiny xenpak modules that take copper. I've
read about super short distance 10GBe over cat6+, but never seen the
modules, if they exist.

The full sized xenpak transcievers, copper or fiber are huge monsters.
That CX4 cable is like working with a serial cable from IBM from the
1980s.

Cydrome Leader

Rick Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In no particular order and with no idea of whether they have Solaris
> drivers or CX4 cards which are low-profile, here are a few of the
> company names I've come across (in alphabetical order, nothing more):
>
> *) ChelsIO
> *) Myricom

http://www.myri.com/Myri-10G/NIC/10G-PCIE-8A-C.html

I didn't know they made ethernet stuff- though it was all that infiniband
clusting stuff.

Peter Eriksson

Cydrome Leader <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>Rick Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> In no particular order and with no idea of whether they have Solaris
>> drivers or CX4 cards which are low-profile, here are a few of the
>> company names I've come across (in alphabetical order, nothing more):
>>
>> *) ChelsIO
>> *) Myricom

>http://www.myri.com/Myri-10G/NIC/10G-PCIE-8A-C.html

Wrong bus though (needs to be PCI-X, not PCI-e :-)...

Only Neterion seems to make a suitable adapter of the makers in that list.

Ah well..