1400(133) changing multiplier.

Apollo

Hi there,

I have replaced an 850 Duron with an Athlon 1400(133), mainly
because it was free. I did realise at the time that it would only
run at 10.5 x 100 on my Asus A7VI-VM.

As this mobo has no multiplier control and is not stable above
103MHz FSB, can I alter the multiplier to 12.5 by altering the
bridges to get 1288MHz, (or to 14 if possible).

Anyone got any links to show what bridges to alter to get a little
bit more out of this chip.

Cheers,

--
Ian

Chuck

"Apollo" <ian_dunbar6@hot[un-munge-me]mail.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi there,
>
> I have replaced an 850 Duron with an Athlon 1400(133), mainly because it
> was free. I did realise at the time that it would only run at 10.5 x 100
> on my Asus A7VI-VM.
>
> As this mobo has no multiplier control and is not stable above 103MHz FSB,
> can I alter the multiplier to 12.5 by altering the bridges to get 1288MHz,
> (or to 14 if possible).
>
> Anyone got any links to show what bridges to alter to get a little bit
> more out of this chip.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Ian

You might want to check and be sure your memory is PC133 , the thunderbird
1400 c, which is the chip you have, runs on a 10.5 X 133 bus normally, if
it's defaulting to 1050 (10.5 x 100) it could be the memory, or you need to
manually lock the FSB to 133.

Wes Newell

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 17:57:20 +0000, Apollo wrote:

> I have replaced an 850 Duron with an Athlon 1400(133), mainly
> because it was free. I did realise at the time that it would only
> run at 10.5 x 100 on my Asus A7VI-VM.
>
> As this mobo has no multiplier control and is not stable above
> 103MHz FSB, can I alter the multiplier to 12.5 by altering the
> bridges to get 1288MHz, (or to 14 if possible).
>
> Anyone got any links to show what bridges to alter to get a little
> bit more out of this chip.

Closing the four L1 bridges will unlock the multipliers so you can control
it externally with either MB jumerps, the bios, or using the pinmod. The
L3 and L4 bridges on the cpu control the default multiplier and you could
just set them to 12.5, but if you unlock the cpu and use the pinmod you
may be able to use the upper multipliers using the pinmod to get up to a
24x multiplier. This would depend on whether or not the 5th multiplier bit
is used with the tbird core. If it used, there's no bridges for it and it
would have to be set high via the pinmod. It's pin AJ27 on the cpu/socket.
Even if it isn't used, unlocking the cpu would at least let you set a 12.5
multiplier with the pinmod. It's also possible that the L1 bridges are
already closed on your cpu. Some 1400's were shipped that way. If not,
it's still a lot easier to close the l1 bridges than it is to both cut and
close bridges on the L3/L4 bridge set. And to go from 10.5 to 12.5 only
requires 2 pieces of wire, since only 2 bits change. You can also go to a
13.5 multiplier with only 2 pieces of wire (if the 8x mutiplier bit is in
the cpu).

http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/ht...md_pinmod.html

If you just have to do it on the cpu, this should help.

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20000711/index.html

Wes Newell

> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 17:57:20 +0000, Apollo wrote:
>
>> I have replaced an 850 Duron with an Athlon 1400(133), mainly
>> because it was free. I did realise at the time that it would only
>> run at 10.5 x 100 on my Asus A7VI-VM.
>>
>> As this mobo has no multiplier control and is not stable above
>> 103MHz FSB, can I alter the multiplier to 12.5 by altering the
>> bridges to get 1288MHz, (or to 14 if possible).

I also forgot to mention that there is a jumper mode setting for a 133Mhz
FSB. And, it may work if it sets the proper divider. Worth a try.

Apollo

"Wes Newell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsan.2005.03.18.23.18.05.212967@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
>> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 17:57:20 +0000, Apollo wrote:
>>
>>> I have replaced an 850 Duron with an Athlon 1400(133), mainly
>>> because it was free. I did realise at the time that it would
>>> only
>>> run at 10.5 x 100 on my Asus A7VI-VM.
>>>
>>> As this mobo has no multiplier control and is not stable above
>>> 103MHz FSB, can I alter the multiplier to 12.5 by altering the
>>> bridges to get 1288MHz, (or to 14 if possible).
>>>

> I also forgot to mention that there is a jumper mode setting for
> a 133Mhz
> FSB. And, it may work if it sets the proper divider. Worth a
> try.
>
> --
> My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
> Verizon server http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm

Hi Wes,

Thanks for the replies, I'll have a look at links later. I've
already tried it jumpered to 133, it wouldn't boot, tested at
various speeds and anything over 103MHz fails on prime95. The
memory runs fine at 133MHz (memtest86 done), it just seems like a
restriction of the chipset.

The chip is locked, the bios and mobo have no multiplier controls,
that I could find that is. So I should close the L1 bridges and
use the pinmod?

Thanks again Wes

--
Ian

Chuck

"Apollo" <ian_dunbar6@hot[un-munge-me]mail.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Wes Newell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsan.2005.03.18.23.18.05.212967@TAKEOUTverizon .net...

>> I also forgot to mention that there is a jumper mode setting for a 133Mhz
>> FSB. And, it may work if it sets the proper divider. Worth a try.
>>
>> --
>> Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
>> My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
>> Verizon server http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm

> Hi Wes,
>
> Thanks for the replies, I'll have a look at links later. I've already
> tried it jumpered to 133, it wouldn't boot, tested at various speeds and
> anything over 103MHz fails on prime95. The memory runs fine at 133MHz
> (memtest86 done), it just seems like a restriction of the chipset.
>
> The chip is locked, the bios and mobo have no multiplier controls, that I
> could find that is. So I should close the L1 bridges and use the pinmod?
>
> Thanks again Wes
>
> --
> Ian

It's not the processor or your motherboard that's the problem, it's the
memory. it isn't capable of running at 133 mhz so it's forcing the
motherboard to default to 100.

Gordon Abbot

Chuck wrote:
> "Apollo" <ian_dunbar6@hot[un-munge-me]mail.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>"Wes Newell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>newsan.2005.03.18.23.18.05.212967@TAKEOUTveriz on.net...

>>>I also forgot to mention that there is a jumper mode setting for a 133Mhz
>>>FSB. And, it may work if it sets the proper divider. Worth a try.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
>>>My server http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.php
>>>Verizon server http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm

>>Hi Wes,
>>
>>Thanks for the replies, I'll have a look at links later. I've already
>>tried it jumpered to 133, it wouldn't boot, tested at various speeds and
>>anything over 103MHz fails on prime95. The memory runs fine at 133MHz
>>(memtest86 done), it just seems like a restriction of the chipset.
>>
>>The chip is locked, the bios and mobo have no multiplier controls, that I
>>could find that is. So I should close the L1 bridges and use the pinmod?
>>
>>Thanks again Wes
>>
>>--
>>Ian

> It's not the processor or your motherboard that's the problem, it's the
> memory. it isn't capable of running at 133 mhz so it's forcing the
> motherboard to default to 100.

Not on my MB. I checked Tom's Hardware and it cannot be jumpered from
100 to 133 even though there is a jumper there. It was the way the board
was made. Wes is right.

GA

--
My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

Wes Newell

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 11:46:31 +0000, Apollo wrote:

> Thanks for the replies, I'll have a look at links later. I've
> already tried it jumpered to 133, it wouldn't boot, tested at
> various speeds and anything over 103MHz fails on prime95. The
> memory runs fine at 133MHz (memtest86 done), it just seems like a
> restriction of the chipset.

Well it was worth a try. I saw one review of the board that said it used
a KM133A instead of KM133, so i wasn't sure if 133Mhz would work or not.

> The chip is locked, the bios and mobo have no multiplier controls, that
> I could find that is. So I should close the L1 bridges and use the
> pinmod?

I'd start with that. It's the easiest way and you can just use a pencil to
close the bridges to test it. And at a minimum you'll be able to get a
12.5 multiplier. If you decide to permanately close the L1 bridges, use
conductive paint or something. While the pencil will work it's not very
reliable. I did a duron with one and it lost connection on 1 or 2 bridges
after some time.

Chuck

"Gordon Abbot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Chuck wrote:
>> "Apollo" <ian_dunbar6@hot[un-munge-me]mail.com> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>"Wes Newell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>newsan.2005.03.18.23.18.05.212967@TAKEOUTveri zon.net...

>>>Hi Wes,
>>>
>>>Thanks for the replies, I'll have a look at links later. I've already
>>>tried it jumpered to 133, it wouldn't boot, tested at various speeds and
>>>anything over 103MHz fails on prime95. The memory runs fine at 133MHz
>>>(memtest86 done), it just seems like a restriction of the chipset.
>>>
>>>The chip is locked, the bios and mobo have no multiplier controls, that I
>>>could find that is. So I should close the L1 bridges and use the pinmod?
>>>
>>>Thanks again Wes
>>>
>>>--
>>>Ian

>> It's not the processor or your motherboard that's the problem, it's the
>> memory. it isn't capable of running at 133 mhz so it's forcing the
>> motherboard to default to 100.

> Not on my MB. I checked Tom's Hardware and it cannot be jumpered from 100
> to 133 even though there is a jumper there. It was the way the board was
> made. Wes is right.

Never said he was wrong, I didn't know the motherboard in question is
limited to a 100 mhz bus. I just checked it out on the Asus website, and
that particular board isn't compatible with Thunderbird 1400 C (10.5*133)
processors, it only works with the 1400 B (14*100), which is quite weird
since it allows to manually raise the FSB to 133 in the BIOS. He may have to
set all his memory timings to the absolute minimums to do so though, no
Optimal, or turbo mode etc.

Wes Newell

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 23:08:24 +0000, Chuck wrote:

> Never said he was wrong, I didn't know the motherboard in question is
> limited to a 100 mhz bus. I just checked it out on the Asus website, and
> that particular board isn't compatible with Thunderbird 1400 C (10.5*133)
> processors, it only works with the 1400 B (14*100), which is quite weird
> since it allows to manually raise the FSB to 133 in the BIOS. He may have to
> set all his memory timings to the absolute minimums to do so though, no
> Optimal, or turbo mode etc.

The problem is the KT133, or in this case the KM133 chipset. Even though
the bios of my old KT133 chipset board list FSB speeds all the way up to
147MHz, they didn't work. The KT133A chipset fixed that. I wasn't sure if
it was fixed in the KM133 or not. That's why I asked him to try it.
Apparently it isn't. Not having tested the upper multipliers of the
Thunderbird core cpu, I'm not sure if it has the 5th multiplier bit to
allow multipliers up to 24x. It doesn't have an external bridge for the
5th bit like the XP's do but it still may be a valid bit inside the cpu.
If it is, then unlocking the cpu and using the pin mod would give him
access to all the multipliers up to 24x. Of course 14x is probably as high
as he'd want to set it, although uping vcore to 1.85v and 15x might work
too, but I think they were pushing the core at 1400MHz even though some
have claimed to get over 1500Mhz from an Athlon 1000 tbird. I know I got
over 1300 or 1400Mhz easily out of mine, but don't recall which it was and
that was on the old Kt133 chipset board limited to about 116MHz FSB. That
was over 2 years ago so don't recall specifics.

changing battery on BD7II wanadoo Abit 3 05-23-2005 06:55 PM
Changing from 8x to 4x AGP on Abit PT880 Si Abit 0 12-13-2004 07:21 PM
Changing capacitors on Abit BE6-ll, which component value ? JK Abit 10 05-04-2004 05:57 PM
KV7 - can't boot after changing anything in BIOS Dan Abit 14 02-27-2004 07:53 AM
P4C800-E Deluxe Changing FSB:DDR ratio. Can't do it. Jack Markham Asus 5 12-08-2003 08:13 PM