16-bit PC Card (PCMCIA)

Edward L. Hepler

I have a prototype board that I am trying to interface to a laptop
(running Windows XP) via a 16-bit PCMCIA interface. The maximum
data rate that I can get on simple read/writes is about 500 Kbytes/sec
through the generic PCMCIA driver. The prototype circuit looks like
memory through the PCMCIA interface.

pcmcia.org says that a 16-bit PCMCIA card interface has a maximum
throughput of almost 8 Mbytes/sec... I know that I can't achieve
the theoretical maximum, but I was expecting to get more than 6 or 7%
of the maximum...

Does anyone have a simple example of how to set up the driver on
the Windows side to maximize the throughput (reads/writes) in 16-bit
mode?

Code examples would be great... You help is apprecitated...

Ed

Please respond to: (E-Mail Removed)

Some Guy

"Edward L. Hepler" wrote:

> 16-bit PCMCIA interface.

You'll have to use DMA to get really high speeds. Something like a
bus-mastering DMA controller chip.

For ISA and PCI slots, DMA data transfer is possible, but I don't know
if DMA functionality is extended to the PCMCIA slot.