Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

1920x1200 on L2335 via Single Link DVI

 
 
Ray
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2004, 07:48 AM
Sorry for crossposting, I couldn't find a general videocard group...

I need to drive a HP LP2335 via a Single Link DVI cable on 1920x1200,
preferrably on 60Hz (I need the 1920x1200 more than the 60Hz).
This only seems to be possible when using the "reduced blanking"
feature.

There is no need for fancy video-card with quick 3D stuff. No
multimedia home theater stuff. Just need for a large screen area of
pixels to show a very big window.

Which low budget videocards are capable of doing 1920x1200@60Hz over
Single Link DVI where the video driver has the reduced blanking
feature?

Ray
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
RJT
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2004, 04:37 PM


Ray wrote:
> Sorry for crossposting, I couldn't find a general videocard group...
>
> I need to drive a HP LP2335 via a Single Link DVI cable on 1920x1200,
> preferrably on 60Hz (I need the 1920x1200 more than the 60Hz).
> This only seems to be possible when using the "reduced blanking"
> feature.
>
> There is no need for fancy video-card with quick 3D stuff. No
> multimedia home theater stuff. Just need for a large screen area of
> pixels to show a very big window.
>
> Which low budget videocards are capable of doing 1920x1200@60Hz over
> Single Link DVI where the video driver has the reduced blanking
> feature?


I've done some research into this myself in the past, and a bit of
googling will learn that at least the nVidia cards of the GeForce4 and
up series, as well as Radeon 7500 and 8500 and up have TDMS frequency
that supports 1920x1200 at 60hz. You may need to turn the feature on in
the drivers using the advanced display properties, such as alternate
frequency or refuced blanking interval, but it's there.

My GeForce4 Ti4200 worked just fine at 1920x1200x60hz through DVI-D.

As for older cards, it might work, try at your own risk. Matrox I don't
know. Matrox's site doesn't say, only that the Parhelia does support it,
but I'd hardly call that a low budget card. If I were you, I'd pick up a
GeForce4 Ti4200 or a Radeon 8500, should work without a hitch and not be
too expensive.

BTW, the only dual link capable DVI cards I know of are the top of the
range QUADRO cards. (For those that don't know -> dual link DVI is not
equal to dual DVI output, so don't respond saying you know of GeForce or
Radeon cards with two DVI ports. There are lots of dual dvi GeForce and
Radeon cards out there, but none with dual link DVI.)

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Zulu
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2004, 04:46 PM
"RJT" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i en meddelelse
news:cnqg99$8pa$(E-Mail Removed)...
> BTW, the only dual link capable DVI cards I know of are the top of the
> range QUADRO cards. (For those that don't know -> dual link DVI is not
> equal to dual DVI output, so don't respond saying you know of GeForce or
> Radeon cards with two DVI ports. There are lots of dual dvi GeForce and
> Radeon cards out there, but none with dual link DVI.)
>


Then what is "Dual Link DVI"? :-)

Zulu


 
Reply With Quote
 
Denis Freund
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2004, 05:29 PM
Zulu schrieb:
> Then what is "Dual Link DVI"? :-)


a DVI port with 370Mhz bandwith instead of 165MHz. For example needed to
drive the new Apple 30" TFT.

The Consumer 6800U *samples* had DualLink DVI:
http://pics.computerbase.de/artikel/342/33.jpg

but nVidia decided to remove the second TMDS transmitter :-(

PNY:
http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/...pics%20010.jpg

Leadtek:
http://www.firingsquad.com/media/art...1521&pic_id=09

MSI 6800U:
http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/fullimage.php?image=8598

Sparkle 6800U:
http://accelenation.com/graphics/con...kle6800.23.jpg

etc.

DualLink DVI cards:
- nVidia QuadroFX 2000/3000/4000 AGP and 3400/4400 PCI-E
- ATI FireGL X3 (AGP) and V7100 (PCI-E)

Denis


 
Reply With Quote
 
Denis Freund
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2004, 05:30 PM
Denis Freund schrieb:

> a DVI port with 370Mhz bandwith instead of 165MHz. For example needed to
> drive the new Apple 30" TFT.


ups, sorry, 2x165 = 330 of course :-)

Denis


 
Reply With Quote
 
Zulu
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-21-2004, 05:43 PM

"Denis Freund" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i en meddelelse
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Zulu schrieb:
>> Then what is "Dual Link DVI"? :-)

>
> a DVI port with 370Mhz bandwith instead of 165MHz. For example needed to
> drive the new Apple 30" TFT.


Thanks...

Zulu


 
Reply With Quote
 
RJT
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-22-2004, 08:55 AM


Zulu wrote:
>
> Then what is "Dual Link DVI"? :-)


The DVI specifications for a single DVI link mean that only 165Mhz is
available, enough for 1600x1200 at 60 Hz, 1920x1080 at 60 Hz or
1280x1024 at 85Hz, but not enough for 19200x1200 at 60 Hz. If you want
to display more pixels or the same at higher refresh rates, you need
more bandwidth. By combining two DVI channels (=dual link DVI), you can
double the bandwidth and create enough to display i.e. 2048x1536 at 60
Hz, 1920x1080 at 85 Hz - and more than enough to display 1920x1200 at 60
Hz. A DVI port has 24 pins. Single link DVI uses only 12 of those pins,
dual link uses all 24 pins, but only one DVI port.

And yes, DVI has a possible 24 pins, though most cables are single link
and thus don't have all the pins. Click the link for a photo of the
different plugs.
http://www.datapro.net/images/dvi-config.jpg

The trick to display 1920x1200 at 60 Hz using a single DVI link is to
reduce the blanking interval used in the specs.

Do a bit of googling if you want to know more, it's all out there.

RJT


 
Reply With Quote
 
Steven Whatley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-22-2004, 10:51 PM
In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox Ray <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I need to drive a HP LP2335 via a Single Link DVI cable on 1920x1200,
> preferrably on 60Hz (I need the 1920x1200 more than the 60Hz).
> This only seems to be possible when using the "reduced blanking"
> feature.
>
> There is no need for fancy video-card with quick 3D stuff. No
> multimedia home theater stuff. Just need for a large screen area of
> pixels to show a very big window.


check out the Matrox P650. It can do what yo want with, as you mentioned,
reduced blanking. The P650 costs US$169:

http://shopmatrox.com/usa/products/datasheet.asp?ID=385

Later,
Steven
 
Reply With Quote
 
Roy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-27-2004, 08:58 PM
I'm using a BFG Nvidia GeForce FX 5900XT OC
Core Clock 430Mhz (vs 390Mhz standard)
Mem Clock 735Mhz Effective
Drivers 66.93
to drive my HP L2335 23" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor

It is a good card. Plenty of power for the games I play. I play MS Flight
Sim 2004 COF mostly but I also play Uru: Complete Chronicles as well. I use
1920x1200 for my default desktop resolution, but for MSFS I use 1200x960 and
I get framerates in the 30s with all the goodies turned on. Quiet too.
Overall the best value card I could find when I bought it. Though I kind of
wish I'd waited for the agp version of the 6600 to come out. I saw one the
other day at new egg but I'd wait until the price came down and bfg offered
an agp version. I must say I absolutely love this monitor. My computer
uses the digital dvi connector. I use the s-vid input for my bedroom dvd
player and the composite input for my wife's GameCube. It rocks.

the rest of my system:
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 939 90nm Winchester 1.8Ghz oc'd to 2.6Ghz
ThermalTake Silent Tower CL-P0025
MSI K8N Neo 2 Plat Model 7025 Bios 1.41 (beta)
OCZ Perf Series PC3500 DDR 433 512MB at 237Mhz 3-4-4-10 x 2 (dual channel)
Lian Li Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Case PC-V1000
MGE Vigor 500 PSVG-500 500w Power Supply
Maxtor 160GB 7200RPM 8MG IDE ATA133 6Y160P0 x 2 (Raid - 0)
LG Electronics GCC-4521BB 52x32x52x16 Combo Drive
WinXP Pro
DX 9.0c

Roy


"Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Sorry for crossposting, I couldn't find a general videocard group...
>
> I need to drive a HP LP2335 via a Single Link DVI cable on 1920x1200,
> preferrably on 60Hz (I need the 1920x1200 more than the 60Hz).
> This only seems to be possible when using the "reduced blanking"
> feature.
>
> There is no need for fancy video-card with quick 3D stuff. No
> multimedia home theater stuff. Just need for a large screen area of
> pixels to show a very big window.
>
> Which low budget videocards are capable of doing 1920x1200@60Hz over
> Single Link DVI where the video driver has the reduced blanking
> feature?
>
> Ray



 
Reply With Quote
 
Caesar Valenti
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-14-2004, 02:18 AM
So, my boss just announce that he is getting me an HP L2335 monitor
(Yes!!!! I have a great boss!) Unfortunately, I only have a G550.
Does it stand any hope of driving this display at full resolution at
60Hz. I guess I am asking if one can reduce blanking on it.....or has
anyone ever done this with a G550?
CV



Steven Whatley wrote:

>In alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox Ray <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>I need to drive a HP LP2335 via a Single Link DVI cable on 1920x1200,
>>preferrably on 60Hz (I need the 1920x1200 more than the 60Hz).
>>This only seems to be possible when using the "reduced blanking"
>>feature.
>>
>>There is no need for fancy video-card with quick 3D stuff. No
>>multimedia home theater stuff. Just need for a large screen area of
>>pixels to show a very big window.
>>
>>

>
>check out the Matrox P650. It can do what yo want with, as you mentioned,
>reduced blanking. The P650 costs US$169:
>
>http://shopmatrox.com/usa/products/datasheet.asp?ID=385
>
>Later,
>Steven
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1920x1200 on L2335 via Single Link DVI Ray Nvidia 8 11-27-2004 08:58 PM
1920x1200 on L2335 via Single Link DVI Ray ATI 8 11-27-2004 08:58 PM
DVI-to-VGA Adaptors: DVI-I, DVI-A, DVI-D, DVI-WTF! Martin Crozier ATI 2 01-13-2004 04:23 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:18 PM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment