2.8GHz ver. 3.4GHz ??

sstubebender@yahoo.com

I have a P4C800 Deluxe
Would it be worth while moving up from a
P4-2.80C GHz (800 FSB, L2 cache:512KB, HT, D1) to a
P4-3.40E GHz (800 FSB, L2 cache:1MB, HT, 90nm)
or should I think about building a new system

RBM

If you do go for the higher CPU, you first have to be sure your bios is
upgraded recognize it
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have a P4C800 Deluxe
> Would it be worth while moving up from a
> P4-2.80C GHz (800 FSB, L2 cache:512KB, HT, D1) to a
> P4-3.40E GHz (800 FSB, L2 cache:1MB, HT, 90nm)
> or should I think about building a new system

Mark C.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I have a P4C800 Deluxe
> Would it be worth while moving up from a
> P4-2.80C GHz (800 FSB, L2 cache:512KB, HT, D1) to a
> P4-3.40E GHz (800 FSB, L2 cache:1MB, HT, 90nm)
> or should I think about building a new system

The 2.80C is a great overclocker. Assuming you have decent
memory, have you tried bumping up your FSB past 200?
You should be able to get to 3.4GHz without any problem.

BigJim

You probably won't see much of an improvement.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have a P4C800 Deluxe
> Would it be worth while moving up from a
> P4-2.80C GHz (800 FSB, L2 cache:512KB, HT, D1) to a
> P4-3.40E GHz (800 FSB, L2 cache:1MB, HT, 90nm)
> or should I think about building a new system

Bill

BigJim wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>I have a P4C800 Deluxe
>> Would it be worth while moving up from a
>> P4-2.80C GHz (800 FSB, L2 cache:512KB, HT, D1) to a
>> P4-3.40E GHz (800 FSB, L2 cache:1MB, HT, 90nm)
>> or should I think about building a new system

>You probably won't see much of an improvement.

That depends on the intended use.

For things like surfing the net, reading email, using Word, and even
gaming with a decent video card, it won't make much difference.

But if the user wants to run something that crunches data, like maybe a
Boinc project (SETI or protein folding?), then the faster CPU will make
a big difference with a very noticeable improvement in performance.

Another person mentioned overclocking the 2.8c which is also an option.
Adding a bigger CPU cooler to handle the heat will help keep the CPU
cool, and get a higher overclock. A good cooler like the Thermaltake Big
Typhoon or the Zalman 9500 will help to keep an overclocked CPU cool.

I have the Zalman 9500 on my AMD x2 3800+ overclocking it 25% faster,
and it runs cooler than the stock heatsink at stock speeds.

BigJim

good advice Bill but I am no mind reader so when people post more info
should be given/
but for general use he will see no improvement.
news:(E-Mail Removed).. .