2 identical mobos, one doesn't like capture card in same slot, why?

docsavage20@yahoo.com

I got 2 of the same Compaq Deskpro EN mobo to replace the original
that's apparently gone bad so I'd have a spare.

Took everything out and put it in replacement board "A", in the same
slots. Everything worked fine.

However, upon installing replacement board "B", again everything in the
same slot, it worked with everything except the Pinnacle DC10-Plus
capture card. While it recognized the card was there as a "Multimedia
Video Control Device" in Hardware Manager, it showed up with yellow
question marks and wouldn't do anything. No rainbow test bars, etc., no
input or output.

At first it even said "This Device Working Properly" though obviously
something wasn't right. I uninstalled it thinking I'd reinstall the
drivers, but then it wouldn't recognize or install the drivers. I was
actually concerned I'd fried the card somehow, though I'm always
careful about discharging static by touching bare metal on the case
every time I put something in.

After various farting around, I reinstalled board "A" and everything
was fine.

What might cause this?

Dave

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I got 2 of the same Compaq Deskpro EN mobo to replace the original
> that's apparently gone bad so I'd have a spare.
>
> Took everything out and put it in replacement board "A", in the same
> slots. Everything worked fine.
>
> However, upon installing replacement board "B", again everything in the
> same slot, it worked with everything except the Pinnacle DC10-Plus
> capture card. While it recognized the card was there as a "Multimedia
> Video Control Device" in Hardware Manager, it showed up with yellow
> question marks and wouldn't do anything. No rainbow test bars, etc., no
> input or output.
>
> At first it even said "This Device Working Properly" though obviously
> something wasn't right. I uninstalled it thinking I'd reinstall the
> drivers, but then it wouldn't recognize or install the drivers. I was
> actually concerned I'd fried the card somehow, though I'm always
> careful about discharging static by touching bare metal on the case
> every time I put something in.
>
> After various farting around, I reinstalled board "A" and everything
> was fine.
>
> What might cause this?

Different BIOS version, different CMOS settings for the same BIOS version.
Or, less likely, a defective mainboard. -Dave

Conor

In article <0V1mg.9020$(E-Mail Removed) et>, Dave
says...

> Different BIOS version, different CMOS settings for the same BIOS version.
> Or, less likely, a defective mainboard. -Dave

You are correct with the BIOS version. I have witnessed the same with
Netgear 802.11g PCI Wifi cards on those Deskpros.

--
Conor

Who the **** said I was trying to endear myself to anyone?