2100/2178ea Video, Processor Or Mainboard Upgrade

Eugene Mac Mahon

Ok, I Think I Know The Answer Is No To This Question Before I Ask It Bu
Here Goes. Is There Any Options To Upgrade A Compaq Presario 210
(model 2178ea) Apart From Memory? Ideally I'd Like To Upgrade The Am
Xp-m 2500+ Processor. If I Had To, Id Replace The Mainboard But
Think It Could Be A Bit Too Messy For My Liking. I Would Also Conside
Overclocking If Its An Option. Finally, (i Know Its Been A Big Ask S
Far) If I Could Get Mainboard Diagrams It Would Be Great

--
Eugene Mac Mahon

Ben Myers

First, no overclocking possible with Compaq motherboards.

Second, the mechanical part of the motherboard replacement is the EASY part of
the job. Unless it is a Compaq branded motherboard with the same chipset, you
will need to do a lot to get Windows working right. Not recommended.

Third, a memory upgrade usually provides the best bang for the buck these days.

I'll leave to others to comment on the upgrade possibilities with AMD
processors... Ben Myers

On Fri, 25 May 2007 19:17:13 +0100, Eugene Mac Mahon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ok, I Think I Know The Answer Is No To This Question Before I Ask It But
>Here Goes. Is There Any Options To Upgrade A Compaq Presario 2100
>(model 2178ea) Apart From Memory? Ideally I'd Like To Upgrade The Amd
>Xp-m 2500+ Processor. If I Had To, Id Replace The Mainboard But I
>Think It Could Be A Bit Too Messy For My Liking. I Would Also Consider
>Overclocking If Its An Option. Finally, (i Know Its Been A Big Ask So
>Far) If I Could Get Mainboard Diagrams It Would Be Great.

Eugene Mac Mahon

Right, I'll come clean! What I really want to do is to upgrade this ol
laptop with the hope of, wait for it, install OS X Tiger on it. Can d
it natively with the current processor (and ram but thats easy) and erg
the motherboard and processor upgrade question.

Ben Myers;720720 Wrote:
> First, no overclocking possible with Compaq motherboards.
>
> Second, the mechanical part of the motherboard replacement is the EAS
> part of
> the job. Unless it is a Compaq branded motherboard with the sam
> chipset, you
> will need to do a lot to get Windows working right. Not recommended.
>
> Third, a memory upgrade usually provides the best bang for the buc
> these days.
>
> I'll leave to others to comment on the upgrade possibilities with AMD
> processors... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 25 May 2007 19:17:13 +0100, Eugene Mac Mahon
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> -
>
> Ok, I Think I Know The Answer Is No To This Question Before I Ask I
> But
> Here Goes. Is There Any Options To Upgrade A Compaq Presario 2100
> (model 2178ea) Apart From Memory? Ideally I'd Like To Upgrade The Amd
> Xp-m 2500+ Processor. If I Had To, Id Replace The Mainboard But I
> Think It Could Be A Bit Too Messy For My Liking. I Would Als
> Consider
> Overclocking If Its An Option. Finally, (i Know Its Been A Big Ask So
> Far) If I Could Get Mainboard Diagrams It Would Be Great.

--
Eugene Mac Mahon

Ben Myers

I think that the best you could do would be to replace the Athlon Mobile CPU
with a slightly faster one, and this would have little effect on system
performance. A lot of labor involved, too.

Maxing out the memory would give the most bang for the buck... Ben Myers

On Sat, 26 May 2007 13:03:33 +0100, Eugene Mac Mahon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Right, I'll come clean! What I really want to do is to upgrade this old
>laptop with the hope of, wait for it, install OS X Tiger on it. Can do
>it natively with the current processor (and ram but thats easy) and ergo
>the motherboard and processor upgrade question.
>
>Ben Myers;720720 Wrote:
>> First, no overclocking possible with Compaq motherboards.
>>
>> Second, the mechanical part of the motherboard replacement is the EASY
>> part of
>> the job. Unless it is a Compaq branded motherboard with the same
>> chipset, you
>> will need to do a lot to get Windows working right. Not recommended.
>>
>> Third, a memory upgrade usually provides the best bang for the buck
>> these days.
>>
>> I'll leave to others to comment on the upgrade possibilities with AMD
>> processors... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Fri, 25 May 2007 19:17:13 +0100, Eugene Mac Mahon
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> -
>>
>> Ok, I Think I Know The Answer Is No To This Question Before I Ask It
>> But
>> Here Goes. Is There Any Options To Upgrade A Compaq Presario 2100
>> (model 2178ea) Apart From Memory? Ideally I'd Like To Upgrade The Amd
>> Xp-m 2500+ Processor. If I Had To, Id Replace The Mainboard But I
>> Think It Could Be A Bit Too Messy For My Liking. I Would Also
>> Consider
>> Overclocking If Its An Option. Finally, (i Know Its Been A Big Ask So
>> Far) If I Could Get Mainboard Diagrams It Would Be Great.-

paulmd@efn.org

On May 26, 5:03 am, Eugene Mac Mahon <Eugene.Mac.Mahon.
(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Right, I'll come clean! What I really want to do is to upgrade this old
> laptop with the hope of, wait for it, install OS X Tiger on it. Can do
> it natively with the current processor (and ram but thats easy) and ergo
> the motherboard and processor upgrade question.
>
> Ben Myers;720720 Wrote:
>

> > First, no overclocking possible with Compaq motherboards.

> > Second, the mechanical part of the motherboard replacement is the EASY
> > part of
> > the job. Unless it is a Compaq branded motherboard with the same
> > chipset, you
> > will need to do a lot to get Windows working right. Not recommended.

> > Third, a memory upgrade usually provides the best bang for the buck
> > these days.

> > I'll leave to others to comment on the upgrade possibilities with AMD
> > processors... Ben Myers

> > On Fri, 25 May 2007 19:17:13 +0100, Eugene Mac Mahon
> > (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > -

> > Ok, I Think I Know The Answer Is No To This Question Before I Ask It
> > But
> > Here Goes. Is There Any Options To Upgrade A Compaq Presario 2100
> > (model 2178ea) Apart From Memory? Ideally I'd Like To Upgrade The Amd
> > Xp-m 2500+ Processor. If I Had To, Id Replace The Mainboard But I
> > Think It Could Be A Bit Too Messy For My Liking. I Would Also
> > Consider
> > Overclocking If Its An Option. Finally, (i Know Its Been A Big Ask So
> > Far) If I Could Get Mainboard Diagrams It Would Be Great.-

> --
> Eugene Mac Mahon

Whoa. There's not a lot of help for that, in either mac or PC land.
There are more people running Irix, than who are successfully running
OSX on a pc.

Anyway, here's the best help you are likely to get.

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Eugene Mac Mahon

The installation of os x of the pc isnt a problem believe it or not,
have that sorted, but, it requires sse2 or sse3 features on th
processor which i am aware my processor does not. SO, I said I'd as
the question half knowing the answer was no. However, 1 last questio
on upgrading. Im now happy enough to replace the mainboard an
processor having found the service manual with great detail o
dis-assembly on the compaq 2178ea model. Anybody know of a mainboard
processor and ram combination (allowing for at least an sse2 processor
that will fit into my compaq case? Or am I just talkin' crazy?

(E-Mail Removed);721320 Wrote:
> On May 26, 5:03 am, Eugene Mac Mahon Eugene.Mac.Mahon.
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:-
> Right, I'll come clean! What I really want to do is to upgrade thi
> old
> laptop with the hope of, wait for it, install OS X Tiger on it. Ca
> do
> it natively with the current processor (and ram but thats easy) an
> ergo
> the motherboard and processor upgrade question.
>
> Ben Myers;720720 Wrote:
>

> -
> First, no overclocking possible with Compaq motherboards.-
> -
> Second, the mechanical part of the motherboard replacement is th
> EASY
> part of
> the job. Unless it is a Compaq branded motherboard with the same
> chipset, you
> will need to do a lot to get Windows working right. No
> recommended.-
> -
> Third, a memory upgrade usually provides the best bang for the buck
> these days.-
> -
> I'll leave to others to comment on the upgrade possibilities wit
> AMD
> processors... Ben Myers-
> -
> On Fri, 25 May 2007 19:17:13 +0100, Eugene Mac Mahon
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> --
> -
> Ok, I Think I Know The Answer Is No To This Question Before I Ask It
> But
> Here Goes. Is There Any Options To Upgrade A Compaq Presario 2100
> (model 2178ea) Apart From Memory? Ideally I'd Like To Upgrade Th
> Amd
> Xp-m 2500+ Processor. If I Had To, Id Replace The Mainboard But I
> Think It Could Be A Bit Too Messy For My Liking. I Would Also
> Consider
> Overclocking If Its An Option. Finally, (i Know Its Been A Big As
> So
> Far) If I Could Get Mainboard Diagrams It Would Be Great.--
>
> --
> Eugene Mac Mahon-
>
> Whoa. There's not a lot of help for that, in either mac or PC land.
> There are more people running Irix, than who are successfully running
> OSX on a pc.
>
> Anyway, here's the best help you are likely to get.
>
> http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Pag

--
Eugene Mac Mahon

paulmd@efn.org

On May 28, 2:08 am, Eugene Mac Mahon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]

> > But
> > Here Goes. Is There Any Options To Upgrade A Compaq Presario 2100
> > (model 2178ea) Apart From Memory? Ideally I'd Like To Upgrade The
> > Amd
> > Xp-m 2500+ Processor. If I Had To, Id Replace The Mainboard But I
> > Think It Could Be A Bit Too Messy For My Liking. I Would Also
> > Consider
> > Overclocking If Its An Option. Finally, (i Know Its Been A Big Ask
> > So
> > Far) If I Could Get Mainboard Diagrams It Would Be Great.--

> > --
> > Eugene Mac Mahon-

> > Whoa. There's not a lot of help for that, in either mac or PC land.
> > There are more people running Irix, than who are successfully running
> > OSX on a pc.

> > Anyway, here's the best help you are likely to get.

Crazy talking, I think.... hardly anybody does replacement
motherboards on laptops, and when they do, it's to replace a dead
mainboard with a live one of the same model. On a desktop, i wouldn't
be so apprehensive, but at a minimum you'll go through a major ordeal,
even IF you find a compatable replacement motherboard, which isn't all
that likely.

Too many variables in a laptop, not only does it have to mount in the
case, but the connectors for the screen, keyboard, hard drive, cd,
floppy, etc, have to be the same, and the heatsink has to mount
properly. And even if it does all fit, then there are potential
thermal issues to deal with. This is a nightmare project.

Ben Myers

From my experience servicing successive generations of Dell notebooks, I concur.
A motherboard upgrade would be a nightmare. None of the name brand notebook
manufacturers ever thinks about upward compatibility of motherboards, only
continued use of the same common hardware parts, and, once in a while, some of
the same plastic. But interior connectors and cables are different.

If the OP does not have a fast enough computer, he should sell it and buy
another... Ben Myers

On 28 May 2007 22:58:18 -0700, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [...]

>> > Anyway, here's the best help you are likely to get.

>> >http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

>> --
>> Eugene Mac Mahon

>Crazy talking, I think.... hardly anybody does replacement
>motherboards on laptops, and when they do, it's to replace a dead
>mainboard with a live one of the same model. On a desktop, i wouldn't
>be so apprehensive, but at a minimum you'll go through a major ordeal,
>even IF you find a compatable replacement motherboard, which isn't all
>that likely.
>
>Too many variables in a laptop, not only does it have to mount in the
>case, but the connectors for the screen, keyboard, hard drive, cd,
>floppy, etc, have to be the same, and the heatsink has to mount
>properly. And even if it does all fit, then there are potential
>thermal issues to deal with. This is a nightmare project.

HH

I agree with Ben. If you want to run a Mac OS, get a Mac notebook or
desktop.

HH

news:(E-Mail Removed)...