24-pin Power Supplies: What's going on?

aether

Why aren't retailers specifying whether the power supply is 24-pin or
not? Check out newegg.com; there's no way to tell. I've gone to
multiple online stores, and they simply don't list it. I'd like to find
a list of which power supplies are ATX 2.0 (24-pin). As of now, I can
only guess, or attempt to count the pins in a small image.

Michael W. Ryder

aether wrote:

> Why aren't retailers specifying whether the power supply is 24-pin or
> not? Check out newegg.com; there's no way to tell. I've gone to
> multiple online stores, and they simply don't list it. I'd like to find
> a list of which power supplies are ATX 2.0 (24-pin). As of now, I can
> only guess, or attempt to count the pins in a small image.

What are you talking about? I just went to newegg.com and entered '24
pin power supply' for the search term and found numerous power supplies
with the 24 pin connector and a 24 to 20 pin adapter.

aether

> Michael W. Ryder wrote:
> aether wrote:
>
> > Why aren't retailers specifying whether the power supply is 24-pin

or
> > not? Check out newegg.com; there's no way to tell. I've gone to
> > multiple online stores, and they simply don't list it. I'd like to

find
> > a list of which power supplies are ATX 2.0 (24-pin). As of now, I

can
> > only guess, or attempt to count the pins in a small image.
> >

> What are you talking about? I just went to newegg.com and entered

'24
> pin power supply' for the search term and found numerous power

supplies
> with the 24 pin connector and a 24 to 20 pin adapter.

The vast majority don't distinguish. I searched '24 pin power supply'
and found six of them. Try it at zipzoomfly, and you get one.

In any event, does 24-pin automatically mean 'ATX 2.0 compliant'? As
mentioned here:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=240159

Would this power supply (
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...159-033&depa=0
) work with that motherboard?

Bob Day

"aether" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Why aren't retailers specifying whether the power supply is 24-pin or
> not? Check out newegg.com; there's no way to tell. I've gone to
> multiple online stores, and they simply don't list it. I'd like to find
> a list of which power supplies are ATX 2.0 (24-pin). As of now, I can
> only guess, or attempt to count the pins in a small image.

I've had very good luck with three Seasonic Super Tornado 400
power supplies. They come with a 24 to 20 pin adapter and
both 4 and 8 pin auxillary power plugs for the mainboard.
Available at NewEgg.

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com

Peter Strömberg

"aether" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:

> The vast majority don't distinguish. I searched '24 pin power supply'
> and found six of them. Try it at zipzoomfly, and you get one.
>
> In any event, does 24-pin automatically mean 'ATX 2.0 compliant'?

ATX12V Specification:
2.0 February, 2003
• Main Power Connector changes to 2x12.

1.2.3. Main Power Connector:
The 2 x 10 main power connector has been replaced by a 2 x 12 connector.
This was made to support 75 watt PCI Express*requirements. Pinout
assignments are based on the SSI recommendation.

With the added 12V, 5V, and 3.3V pins the need for an Aux Power
connector is no longer needed and the guidance for this connector has
been removed.

<http://www.formfactors.org/FFDetail.asp?FFID=1&CatID=2>

Please note that ATX is a specification for motherboards and ATX12V is
for power supplies.

--
Peter Strömberg (55.6N 13.0E)
C2K2 C2K3 ISCCIV02 ISCCIV03 ISCCIV04

No one

Bob Day wrote:
> "aether" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>
>>Why aren't retailers specifying whether the power supply is 24-pin or
>>not? Check out newegg.com; there's no way to tell. I've gone to
>>multiple online stores, and they simply don't list it. I'd like to find
>>a list of which power supplies are ATX 2.0 (24-pin). As of now, I can
>>only guess, or attempt to count the pins in a small image.
>>

> I've had very good luck with three Seasonic Super Tornado 400
> power supplies. They come with a 24 to 20 pin adapter and
> both 4 and 8 pin auxillary power plugs for the mainboard.
> Available at NewEgg.
>
> -- Bob Day
> http://bobday.vze.com

MY latest case had a 20 pin and a 4 pin. Even the directions for the
Intel mobo show putting both on the connector if there isn't a 24 pin
already.