2GB problem with Intel motherboard

Adams

We have the Intel DP965LT motherboards with Celeron D CPU at 3GHz.
These motherboard has 4 empty memory slots:
Channel A, DIMM 0
Channel A, DIMM 1
Channel B, DIMM 0
Channel B, DIMM 1

If I have 1GB at Channel A, DIMM 0, I can run both XP and Vista (32 bits
Ultimate and Business) fine.

I am unable to run XP at 2GB stable.
When I run the defragmenter, I will get blue screen crashed promptly.

I can run Vista (32 bits ultimate) at 2GB stable only when I have:
Channel A, DIMM 0 has 1GB
Channel B, DIMM 0 has 1GB.
but, it does has blue screen crash about once every other weeks.

I am unable to run Vista (32 bits) at 2GB when I have:
Channel A, DIMM 0 has 1GB
Channel A, DIMM 1 has 1GB.
I run the defragmenter and Vista will crash in blue screen.

So, what is the correct slot for 2GB?
Is 2GB works on XP and Vista?

Fergus

"Adams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:E6t2j.20671$(E-Mail Removed) et...
> We have the Intel DP965LT motherboards with Celeron D CPU at 3GHz.
> These motherboard has 4 empty memory slots:
> Channel A, DIMM 0
> Channel A, DIMM 1
> Channel B, DIMM 0
> Channel B, DIMM 1
>
> If I have 1GB at Channel A, DIMM 0, I can run both XP and Vista (32 bits
> Ultimate and Business) fine.
>
> I am unable to run XP at 2GB stable.
> When I run the defragmenter, I will get blue screen crashed promptly.
>
> I can run Vista (32 bits ultimate) at 2GB stable only when I have:
> Channel A, DIMM 0 has 1GB
> Channel B, DIMM 0 has 1GB.
> but, it does has blue screen crash about once every other weeks.
>
> I am unable to run Vista (32 bits) at 2GB when I have:
> Channel A, DIMM 0 has 1GB
> Channel A, DIMM 1 has 1GB.
> I run the defragmenter and Vista will crash in blue screen.
>
> So, what is the correct slot for 2GB?
> Is 2GB works on XP and Vista?

they should fit in the DIMM 0 slots or the same coloured slots if your board
it newish.

are they a matched pair or just 2 x 1gbs you have purchased at different
times.

Adams

"Fergus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Adams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:E6t2j.20671$(E-Mail Removed) et...
>> We have the Intel DP965LT motherboards with Celeron D CPU at 3GHz.
>> These motherboard has 4 empty memory slots:
>> Channel A, DIMM 0
>> Channel A, DIMM 1
>> Channel B, DIMM 0
>> Channel B, DIMM 1

> they should fit in the DIMM 0 slots or the same coloured slots if your
> board it newish.
>
> are they a matched pair or just 2 x 1gbs you have purchased at different
> times.

Fergus, all 4 slots connectors are the same exact color.

The 2 x 1GB DIMM memory are purchased from different companies at different
time.

Fergus

"Adams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:n4E2j.20704$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> "Fergus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Adams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:E6t2j.20671$(E-Mail Removed) et...
>>> We have the Intel DP965LT motherboards with Celeron D CPU at 3GHz.
>>> These motherboard has 4 empty memory slots:
>>> Channel A, DIMM 0
>>> Channel A, DIMM 1
>>> Channel B, DIMM 0
>>> Channel B, DIMM 1

>> they should fit in the DIMM 0 slots or the same coloured slots if your
>> board it newish.
>>
>> are they a matched pair or just 2 x 1gbs you have purchased at different
>> times.
>>

> Fergus, all 4 slots connectors are the same exact color.
>
> The 2 x 1GB DIMM memory are purchased from different companies at
> different time.

OK then I think you have mismatched RAM.............

Charged Up

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 05:48:20 GMT, "Adams" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>So, what is the correct slot for 2GB?
>Is 2GB works on XP and Vista?

Intel motherboards are very particular on the kind of memory that can be
used. Not only do you have to have memory of the right voltage, but the
latency is critical. The manual will say something like 1.8volts 5-5-5 or
6-6-6.

Various sellers of memory have online tools to match the proper memory to
your motherboard. The intel manual also has figures on how to populate the
DIMM sockets, based on the kind of memory available and performance
desired. But if your memory is not of the right timing for your
motherboard, no matter how many combinations you try, you'll get
malfunctions as you've described.

You should have no trouble with 2GB on XP or Vista 32-bit.

Michael Hawes

"Fergus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Adams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:n4E2j.20704$(E-Mail Removed). net...
>> "Fergus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "Adams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:E6t2j.20671$(E-Mail Removed) et...
>>>
>>> they should fit in the DIMM 0 slots or the same coloured slots if your
>>> board it newish.
>>>
>>> are they a matched pair or just 2 x 1gbs you have purchased at different
>>> times.
>>>

>> Fergus, all 4 slots connectors are the same exact color.
>>
>> The 2 x 1GB DIMM memory are purchased from different companies at
>> different time.
>>

> OK then I think you have mismatched RAM.............

Check you are running RAM at rated voltage. Dowmload and run Memtest86+,
you should have NO errors, even when run overnight.

Mike.

Adams

"Michael Hawes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:474b51d3$>>>> news:E6t2j.20671$(E-Mail Removed) et...

> Check you are running RAM at rated voltage. Dowmload and run
> Memtest86+, you should have NO errors, even when run overnight.
>
> Mike.

Reply from Intel support, this shows:
http://support.intel.com/support/mot.../CS-011965.htm
I have 1GB at Channel A DIMM 0, Channel B DIMM 0:
Dual Channel (Interleaved) Mode Configuration with Two DIMMs
The following conditions do not need to be met:
a.. Same brand
b.. Same timing specifications
c.. Same DDR speed