2GB problem with Intel motherboard

Adams

I have the Intel DP965LT motherboard with Celeron D CPU at 3GHz.
This motherboard has 4 empty memory slots:
Channel A, DIMM 0
Channel A, DIMM 1
Channel B, DIMM 0
Channel B, DIMM 1

If I have 1GB at Channel A, DIMM 0, I can run both XP and Vista fine.

I am unable to run XP at 2GB stable.
Best test is to run the defragmenter.
I will get the blue screen and operating system crashed.

I can run Vista at 2GB stable only when I have:
Channel A, DIMM 0 has 1GB
Channel B, DIMM 0 has 1GB.

I am unable to run Vista at 2GB when I have:
Channel A, DIMM 0 has 1GB
Channel A, DIMM 1 has 1GB.
I run the defragmenter and Vista will crash.

Is this what you folks found too?

Adams

"Adams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsC41j.63028$(E-Mail Removed) et...
> I can run Vista at 2GB stable only when I have:
> Channel A, DIMM 0 has 1GB
> Channel B, DIMM 0 has 1GB.

correction, when I run Vista at 2GB, it does blue screen crash about once
every other weeks.

Bob Bailin

"Adams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9lp1j.1173$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> "Adams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsC41j.63028$(E-Mail Removed) et...
>> I can run Vista at 2GB stable only when I have:
>> Channel A, DIMM 0 has 1GB
>> Channel B, DIMM 0 has 1GB.
>>

> correction, when I run Vista at 2GB, it does blue screen crash about once every other
> weeks.

I'd suspect that the 2nd 1GB is faulty. Run the Vista memory diagnostic
on each module separately, and then install them together and run them
again.

Unless the two 1GB modules are identical, it's possible that the SPD
timing info on one of them is not correct. The motherboard will try to
use the slower timing of the two when they are differrent.

If they are identical, you get the best performance by having one
in Channel A, DIMM 0 and the other in Channel B, DIMM 0
(Dual channel, interleaved mode).

Also, make sure you have the most recent BIOS installed.

Bob

Adams

"Bob Bailin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0wD2j.27073$(E-Mail Removed) et...

> I'd suspect that the 2nd 1GB is faulty. Run the Vista memory diagnostic
> on each module separately, and then install them together and run them
> again.
>
> Unless the two 1GB modules are identical, it's possible that the SPD
> timing info on one of them is not correct. The motherboard will try to
> use the slower timing of the two when they are differrent.
>
> If they are identical, you get the best performance by having one
> in Channel A, DIMM 0 and the other in Channel B, DIMM 0
> (Dual channel, interleaved mode).
>
> Also, make sure you have the most recent BIOS installed.
>
> Bob

Bob,
Actually, I swap the two 1GB memory modules and results are the same.
Also, another problem running Vista with 2GB, I often get this error:

"Superfetch has stopped working" - "A problem caused the program to stop
working correctly. Please close the program."

What mode is Channel A, DIMM 0 with 1GB and Channel A, DIMM 1 has 1GB.

Bob Bailin

"Adams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:n4E2j.20705$(E-Mail Removed) et...
> "Bob Bailin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:0wD2j.27073$(E-Mail Removed) et...
>>

>> I'd suspect that the 2nd 1GB is faulty. Run the Vista memory diagnostic
>> on each module separately, and then install them together and run them
>> again.
>>
>> Unless the two 1GB modules are identical, it's possible that the SPD
>> timing info on one of them is not correct. The motherboard will try to
>> use the slower timing of the two when they are differrent.
>>
>> If they are identical, you get the best performance by having one
>> in Channel A, DIMM 0 and the other in Channel B, DIMM 0
>> (Dual channel, interleaved mode).
>>
>> Also, make sure you have the most recent BIOS installed.
>>
>> Bob

> Bob,
> Actually, I swap the two 1GB memory modules and results are the same.
> Also, another problem running Vista with 2GB, I often get this error:
>
> "Superfetch has stopped working" - "A problem caused the program to stop
> working correctly. Please close the program."
>
> What mode is Channel A, DIMM 0 with 1GB and Channel A, DIMM 1 has 1GB.

That would be single channel, asymmetric mode. Slightly less efficient than dual channel.

I would seriously recommend that you run the Vista Memory Diagnostic before
you try anything else. From the search box on the start menu, type in: memory
and it should be the first program in the results.

Bob