32-bit RISC now cheaper than 8-bit

Anonymous Remailer (austria)

The NXP LPC1110 starts at less than $1 for a 4KB flash part. That's
cheaper than an AVR in my experience! I'm not really sure if it's all
that more powerful but it's good enough for me. The thing I like is
that it also has a single I/O line debugging, just like AVR's
DebugWire, which isn't available on all parts and for which you need to
purchase ATMEL's programmer since no one else has (AFAIK) implemented
it.

Anyone have any experience with Cortex-M0 yet?

Jim Stewart

Anonymous Remailer (austria) wrote:
> The NXP LPC1110 starts at less than $1 for a 4KB flash part. That's
> cheaper than an AVR in my experience! I'm not really sure if it's all
> that more powerful but it's good enough for me. The thing I like is
> that it also has a single I/O line debugging, just like AVR's
> DebugWire, which isn't available on all parts and for which you need to
> purchase ATMEL's programmer since no one else has (AFAIK) implemented
> it.
>
> Anyone have any experience with Cortex-M0 yet?

I've looked. I've thought.

Until someone comes up with a development
environment as user-friendly as AVR Studio,
I'll stick with AVR.

Rich Webb

On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 00:12:17 +0200 (CEST), "Anonymous Remailer
(austria)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The NXP LPC1110 starts at less than $1 for a 4KB flash part. That's
>cheaper than an AVR in my experience! I'm not really sure if it's all
>that more powerful but it's good enough for me. The thing I like is
>that it also has a single I/O line debugging, just like AVR's
>DebugWire, which isn't available on all parts and for which you need to
>purchase ATMEL's programmer since no one else has (AFAIK) implemented
>it.

Serial wire debug (SWD) is available on ST's STM32-series and TI's
Stellaris as well. It's supported on (later) Segger J-Links, Rowley's
CrossConnect and (using Rowley's adapter) the Amontec JTAGkey and the
Olimex ARM OCD adapters. Probably a bunch of others (chips and
programmers both) that I'm not aware of.

>Anyone have any experience with Cortex-M0 yet?

I've pretty much been driving ST's CM3 chips, lately.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

MK

On 14/04/2012 23:12, Anonymous Remailer (austria) wrote:
> The NXP LPC1110 starts at less than $1 for a 4KB flash part. That's
> cheaper than an AVR in my experience! I'm not really sure if it's all
> that more powerful but it's good enough for me. The thing I like is
> that it also has a single I/O line debugging, just like AVR's
> DebugWire, which isn't available on all parts and for which you need to
> purchase ATMEL's programmer since no one else has (AFAIK) implemented
> it.
>
> Anyone have any experience with Cortex-M0 yet?

I've used NXP M0s both on their own and as a supervisor processor with
an ST Cortex M4. (The supervisor runs all the time and wakes up the big
processor when any real work has to be done - it also controls remote
re-flashng of the main processor).

From a C code point of view the M0 looks just the same (almost) as the
M3 so they make a nice pair with the same tools being used on both.
NXP's peripherals are a bit different from ST so you need to get used to
that.

We used the M0 on it's own to replace a PIC and the contrast in terms of
speed of development was enormous. The PIC was cheaper but nothing like
enough to make up the increased cost of development for a job with a max
production run of 1000.

The M0+ parts coming soon from Freescale look nice too.

Michael Kellett

Dave Nadler

On Saturday, April 14, 2012 6:12:17 PM UTC-4, Anonymous Remailer (austria) wrote:
> The NXP LPC1110 starts at less than $1 for a 4KB flash part. That's
> cheaper than an AVR in my experience! I'm not really sure if it's all
> that more powerful but it's good enough for me. The thing I like is
> that it also has a single I/O line debugging, just like AVR's
> DebugWire, which isn't available on all parts and for which you need to
> purchase ATMEL's programmer since no one else has (AFAIK) implemented
> it.
>
> Anyone have any experience with Cortex-M0 yet?

One LPC11C14 product in production, another on the way.
Very Good Stuff. Super-inexpensive development tools
of really high quality (Expresso boards w/SWD, CodeRed).
Three thumbs up. Much less painful than AVR !

Enjoy
Best Regards, Dave

Anonymous

"MK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 14/04/2012 23:12, Anonymous Remailer (austria) wrote:
>> The NXP LPC1110 starts at less than $1 for a 4KB flash part. That's
>> cheaper than an AVR in my experience! I'm not really sure if it's all
>> that more powerful but it's good enough for me. The thing I like is
>> that it also has a single I/O line debugging, just like AVR's
>> DebugWire, which isn't available on all parts and for which you need

>> purchase ATMEL's programmer since no one else has (AFAIK) implemented
>> it.
>>
>> Anyone have any experience with Cortex-M0 yet?
>>

> We used the M0 on it's own to replace a PIC and the contrast in terms of
> speed of development was enormous. The PIC was cheaper but nothing like
> enough to make up the increased cost of development for a job with a max
> production run of 1000.

Why was the development so much more speedy / cheaper with Cortex M0?
You didn't need to optimize the code so much because the thing has so
much more speed?

David Brown

On 15/04/12 17:29, Anonymous wrote:
> "MK"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 14/04/2012 23:12, Anonymous Remailer (austria) wrote:
>>> The NXP LPC1110 starts at less than $1 for a 4KB flash part. That's
>>> cheaper than an AVR in my experience! I'm not really sure if it's all
>>> that more powerful but it's good enough for me. The thing I like is
>>> that it also has a single I/O line debugging, just like AVR's
>>> DebugWire, which isn't available on all parts and for which you need

>>> purchase ATMEL's programmer since no one else has (AFAIK) implemented
>>> it.
>>>
>>> Anyone have any experience with Cortex-M0 yet?
>>>

>> We used the M0 on it's own to replace a PIC and the contrast in terms of
>> speed of development was enormous. The PIC was cheaper but nothing like
>> enough to make up the increased cost of development for a job with a max
>> production run of 1000.
>>

> Why was the development so much more speedy / cheaper with Cortex M0?
> You didn't need to optimize the code so much because the thing has so
> much more speed?

When you use a small micro, you have to limit your coding style
somewhat. Code that uses multiple pointers or indirect functions will
compile on a decent C compiler even for brain-dead processors like the
PIC (assuming 8-bit PICs here), but it will run like a lame sloth. When
you have a processor with a single linear address space and solid
pointer support, such as ARM, MIPS, PPC, m68K or msp430 (even though it
is only 16-bit), you are much freer in the structures you can use in the
program. If an array of structs is appropriate, use it. If callbacks
are the best way to organise the code, use them. But on a PIC they
would be hideously slow, so you find other ways to code your program.

MK

On 15/04/2012 16:29, Anonymous wrote:
> "MK"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 14/04/2012 23:12, Anonymous Remailer (austria) wrote:
>>> The NXP LPC1110 starts at less than $1 for a 4KB flash part. That's
>>> cheaper than an AVR in my experience! I'm not really sure if it's all
>>> that more powerful but it's good enough for me. The thing I like is
>>> that it also has a single I/O line debugging, just like AVR's
>>> DebugWire, which isn't available on all parts and for which you need

>>> purchase ATMEL's programmer since no one else has (AFAIK) implemented
>>> it.
>>>
>>> Anyone have any experience with Cortex-M0 yet?
>>>

>> We used the M0 on it's own to replace a PIC and the contrast in terms of
>> speed of development was enormous. The PIC was cheaper but nothing like
>> enough to make up the increased cost of development for a job with a max
>> production run of 1000.
>>

> Why was the development so much more speedy / cheaper with Cortex M0?
> You didn't need to optimize the code so much because the thing has so
> much more speed?

We replaced a very tiny PIC with an LPC1111 and one of the real time
savers was getting real general purpose timers with 32 bit registers.
The other big advantage was being able to code entirely in C, and as
others have mentioned, being able to use the full power of standard C
rather than a small subset.

Michael Kellett

Jukka Marin

On 2012-04-14, Anonymous Remailer (austria) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Anyone have any experience with Cortex-M0 yet?

Did one project using LPC1114 over a year ago, had no problems with it. AVR
is a big pain because of the separate memory spaces, M0 is just as good as
the "big" ARM chips with 32-bit addresses etc. No more 8-bit mcu's!

-jm

scrts

"Anonymous Remailer (austria)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed) vacy.at...

> The NXP LPC1110 starts at less than $1 for a 4KB flash part. That's
> cheaper than an AVR in my experience! I'm not really sure if it's all
> that more powerful but it's good enough for me. The thing I like is
> that it also has a single I/O line debugging, just like AVR's
> DebugWire, which isn't available on all parts and for which you need to
> purchase ATMEL's programmer since no one else has (AFAIK) implemented
> it.
>
> Anyone have any experience with Cortex-M0 yet?

We've moved to LPC11xx and LPC12xx too, however the 8KB SRAM is too small
sometimes...