3500+ on ASROCK 939 dual SATA2

News_Reader

My best OC seems to be 2.48 (stable)on this 2.2 cpu. This is my first
expierience with AMD, and so far I like the way the system is running, even
compared to my Intel 2.8 800mhzFSB that I used to run.

I thought I could get higher OC than the 2.48, but over that and the system
freezes, and I don't understand all the settings on the MB for the ram
timings.

Could the Kingston DDR 466 stuff Im using be holding the CPU back? Would
adjusting the timings help?? And what are timings to try?

Wes Newell

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 07:01:19 -0300, News_Reader wrote:

> ASROCK 939 dual SATA2

This should answer your questions.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2524

Frobinrobin

I've had my 939 3200 (Venice Core) up to 2.5Ghz on stock cooling with
my DFI MoBo - but that MoBo really is made for O/C'ing.

I have my HTT(FSB) set to 275 so I can run my PC4400 at its correct
speed 550Mhz.
The speed in which my memory runs really does depend on the rest of the
timings I set; I usually use Asus Motherboards and I know they dont
have many timings options. The main timings you should be doing are:
tCL, tRCD, tRAS, tRP, tRC and tRFC.
For example lets say that your memory has timing of 2.5-4-4-8 (like my
corsair 4400C2.5)
The CAS latency (tCL) is the first number = 2.5
the second is called tRCD = 4
the fourth is called tRAS = 8
and the third is tRP = 4
I've written the third number last as from what I understand the
formula should go something like this:
tCL + (tRCD+2) = tRAS (2.5 + (4+2) = 6.5)
tRAS + tRP = tRC (8 + 4 = 12)
tRC + 2 = tRFC (12 + 2 = 14)
Its very complicated and I learnt this from a post on dfi-street.com
where ALL the timings were explained in so much detail I read it four
times to understand it... I'm not saying my timings will work for you
because you have different RAM but you should be able to work out what
the BIOS settings should be just by knowing the basics timings of your
RAM.

In order to get your FSB/HTT above 200 you should be putting more
voltage into the RAM and CPU. I run my memory at 2.8v. I would suggest
running yours at 233Mhz @ either 2.7v or 2.8v.
Of course you may need to reduce your CPU multiplier and up the vCore
voltage to get those higher clocks.
You should easily be able to run (HTT)233@1.45v x 10(CPU Mutlipler)
giving your CPU 2330Mhz. but it really does depend on your CPU core -
remember to keep your LDT multiplier to x4 (1600Mhz effective FSB) as
x5 (2000Mhz effective FSB) is quite hard to configure and doesnt really
affect the overall performance on AMD chips.

if you have any questions email me at frobin robin at hot * mail dot
com as I dont google much.

Regards