3700+ can barely touch 2.5Ghz

Hopeful

Running a A64 3700+ San Diego and can barely run it at 2.5Ghz, in fact
I have to run it at the following.

275 HTT x 9 = 2475 @ 1.4v
RAM runs around 230

M/B is ASUS A8N32-SLI, RAM is 1Gb of Geil 3500 which will run up to
about 250Mhz with sloppy timings. Cooling is a Zalman 9500LED.

I've tried vcore up to 1.55v but it make no difference other than
temperature increase. Anything over 2500 cause prime failures and
stability issue in games, anything over 2560 wont even boot into windows.

All other voltages are running at default/automatic setting, PEG-Link is
disabled (my 7900GT didnt like FSB>230 with it enabled) HTTbus is set
4x275 (1100)

I see others reaching 2.6Ghz if not 2.7Ghz on air with 3700+, so am VERY
disappointed in what im getting. Have I just got a turkey of a CPU or
am I likely missing a setting or something? Any advice appreciated.

Ed Light

It's worth trying one notch lower on the HTT ratio. It's only supposed to go
to 1000. The difference shouldn't be detectable on benchmarks, I think.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
(E-Mail Removed)
Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Wes Newell

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 03:42:59 +0100, Hopeful wrote:

> All other voltages are running at default/automatic setting, PEG-Link is
> disabled (my 7900GT didnt like FSB>230 with it enabled) HTTbus is set
> 4x275 (1100)
>
> I see others reaching 2.6Ghz if not 2.7Ghz on air with 3700+, so am VERY
> disappointed in what im getting. Have I just got a turkey of a CPU or
> am I likely missing a setting or something? Any advice appreciated.

I agree with Ed. lower the HT bus to 3x, and while you're at it, lower the
base ram bus to 133MHz, 166MHz max. Raise vcore to 1.5v and you should be
able to go a lot higher on the FSB. I assume you want to get to 9x300.

Hopeful

Wes Newell wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 03:42:59 +0100, Hopeful wrote:
>
>> All other voltages are running at default/automatic setting, PEG-Link is
>> disabled (my 7900GT didnt like FSB>230 with it enabled) HTTbus is set
>> 4x275 (1100)
>>
>> I see others reaching 2.6Ghz if not 2.7Ghz on air with 3700+, so am VERY
>> disappointed in what im getting. Have I just got a turkey of a CPU or
>> am I likely missing a setting or something? Any advice appreciated.

> I agree with Ed. lower the HT bus to 3x, and while you're at it, lower the
> base ram bus to 133MHz, 166MHz max. Raise vcore to 1.5v and you should be
> able to go a lot higher on the FSB. I assume you want to get to 9x300.

Thanks for replying..

Tried dropping HTTBus to 3x but its not making any difference

300x9 (2700) wont even post
300x8.5 (2550) will boot into windows but fails prime in less than 60sec
300x8 (2400) is stable (so I know 300fsb is fine)

Tried upping vcore to 1.55 and it made no difference, upping it to 1.6v
and that allows it to boot into windows at a little over 2.6Ghz but very
flakey (prime fail and random BSOD).

Looks like this processor is a real lemon (compared to most).

p.s. What sort of temperatures should I be getting roughly? At the
stable setting of 275x9 Im currently getting around 60c underload and
around 51c at idle (this is with room temp atm is currently 28c but is
usually more like 23/24c).

p.p.s. Just noticed reports of some people getting warped versions of
the same heat sink im using, judging by my temps is there a chance I
might have such a heat sink?

Ed Light

My Winnie at 2.4 and 1.45v idles at 27C. I would say, yes, you have cooling
problems. I really wouldn't want to get over 50C, ever.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
(E-Mail Removed)
Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Dylan C

Hopeful wrote:

> Wes Newell wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 03:42:59 +0100, Hopeful wrote:
>>
>>> All other voltages are running at default/automatic setting, PEG-Link
>>> is disabled (my 7900GT didnt like FSB>230 with it enabled) HTTbus is
>>> set 4x275 (1100)
>>>
>>> I see others reaching 2.6Ghz if not 2.7Ghz on air with 3700+, so am
>>> VERY disappointed in what im getting. Have I just got a turkey of a
>>> CPU or am I likely missing a setting or something? Any advice
>>> appreciated.

>> I agree with Ed. lower the HT bus to 3x, and while you're at it, lower
>> the
>> base ram bus to 133MHz, 166MHz max. Raise vcore to 1.5v and you should be
>> able to go a lot higher on the FSB. I assume you want to get to 9x300.
>>

> Thanks for replying..
>
> Tried dropping HTTBus to 3x but its not making any difference
>
> 300x9 (2700) wont even post
> 300x8.5 (2550) will boot into windows but fails prime in less than 60sec
> 300x8 (2400) is stable (so I know 300fsb is fine)
>
> Tried upping vcore to 1.55 and it made no difference, upping it to 1.6v
> and that allows it to boot into windows at a little over 2.6Ghz but very
> flakey (prime fail and random BSOD).
>
> Looks like this processor is a real lemon (compared to most).
>
> p.s. What sort of temperatures should I be getting roughly? At the
> stable setting of 275x9 Im currently getting around 60c underload and
> around 51c at idle (this is with room temp atm is currently 28c but is
> usually more like 23/24c).
>
> p.p.s. Just noticed reports of some people getting warped versions of
> the same heat sink im using, judging by my temps is there a chance I
> might have such a heat sink?

I forget the actual limit of the CPU (I think it gets crispy at 70 C),
but your idle temps should never be over 50 (under 40 is pretty
realistic) and I get nervous at 60C under load. Keep in mind that as
your system and heasink collect dust, your temps will creep higher.
These values also assume a less than optimal stock heatsink. Good
aftermarket heatsinks should drop these numbers substantially.

-Dylan C

Hopeful

Ed Light wrote:
> My Winnie at 2.4 and 1.45v idles at 27C. I would say, yes, you have cooling
> problems. I really wouldn't want to get over 50C, ever.

Now that room temperature has dropped to a more "normal" 22C system is
idling at around 46c and under load its reaching about 54c.

If you can get those sort of temperatures (I presume your using air
cooling?) on a processor model which supposedly runs hotter than mine
then it indeed sounds like I have cooling issues .

Going to have to take off this 9500LED and check its not one of the
warped ones, because if this isnt touching at centre of the die it may
go some way to explaining my p**s poor results. All I'm looking for is
2.6Ghz, anything else is a bonus of course .

Ed Light

> Going to have to take off this 9500LED

My, that's a good unit.
Can't remember if you mentioned your case fan situation? Is the heat being
removed quickly?
What did you do for grease?

I'm using an Arctic Freezer 64 without the fan, ducted to the 1900 rpm 80mm
panaflo case fan with aluminum tape. Running 3D sims it can get to 45C. I
used Arctic Silver company's Alumina, following their instructions for
pre-cleaning and application.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
(E-Mail Removed)
Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Hopeful

Ed Light wrote:
>> Going to have to take off this 9500LED

> My, that's a good unit.
> Can't remember if you mentioned your case fan situation? Is the heat being
> removed quickly?
> What did you do for grease?
>
> I'm using an Arctic Freezer 64 without the fan, ducted to the 1900 rpm 80mm
> panaflo case fan with aluminum tape. Running 3D sims it can get to 45C. I
> used Arctic Silver company's Alumina, following their instructions for
> pre-cleaning and application.

Case cooling is :-

front intake - 1 x 120mm fan (running at 7v)
rear exhaust - 2 x 80mm Akasa (adjustable speed fans - lowest speed atm)
top exhaust - 1 x 80mm low noise/noname piece of cr*p (but its got the
brightest LEDs I've *ever* seen on a fan)

and almost forgot..

side panel intake - 1 x 80mm low(ish) speed

So I don't think case cooling is an issue ;-)

I don't trust the case temps from the motherboard readings as they seem
to be right in the power regulation area of the motherboard. The fact
the little sh***y optional fan which only cools this PR area (only
supposed to be used in H2O cooled systems) drops the reported
temperature by over 15c confirms that. I did measure it with an
external probe and while I cant remember the readings it wasn't
excessive, probably a little higher than average as this system does
have 4xhdd in it. :-O

Before anyone pipes up about 4xHDD causing excessive power load and
maybe my o/c problems it makes no difference, tried with just one HDD
powered up no difference. While 460W might be a little on the low side,
its a quality supply and I've seen no evidence its being stressed (12v
and 5v are rock solid stable and 3.3v line wobbles only a tiny amount
(much less than any other system I've seen).

Ed Light

Side fans can actually retard cpu cooling by interrupting the flow-through,
but not as much as you're experiencing, AFAIK.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
(E-Mail Removed)
Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

barely visible lines/text Steve Apple 5 01-02-2008 01:26 AM
Occasional Barely Audible Beeps on HP Pavilion zx5000 jr HP 0 02-11-2005 10:30 PM
6 Hard Drives - IDE Drives Too Hot To Touch - Drive on Promise Card Barely Warm Carol Hardware 1 08-02-2004 10:16 PM
And You thought selling a barely released high end FX5900 video card for over $1,000 on ebay was crazy? lyon_wonder Nvidia 4 09-19-2003 04:14 PM
Power LED barely glow on D865GBF Martin Laliberte Intel 1 09-15-2003 09:39 PM