3D problems with GeForce4 MX 440/AGP8x - Help me please!!!

Davide Mancusi

Hi all,

I recently bought a new computer with a GF4 MX440/AGP8x/64MB card;
unfortunately, after 3-5 minutes of playing 3D games (like Hitman2 or F1GP4)
my system hangs and shows a blue screen. Most frequently (but not always),
it says that the problem was caused by the "nv4_disp.dll" driver file, which
is a part of the NVIDIA drivers for the video card. Moreover, sometimes the
problem happens even when using plain Windows applications.

My configuration is the following:
Windows XP pro
Motherboard Asus A7V8X-X (northbridge VIA KT400, southbridge VIA VT8235)
RAM DDR 512MB 400MHz
NVIDIA drivers V53.03

I searched the newsgroups for similar problems and I found several but
contradictory information; the possible cause appears to be one of the
following:
- Poor GPU cooling (I don't have a GPU fan, I just have a heatsink)
- Video card drivers
- VIA AGP controller drivers
- who knows?!?

Can anyone give me any help?!? How can I decide which is the real cause?

Thank you!!!

Davide

Lopaka

"Davide Mancusi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bBVJb.229660$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I recently bought a new computer with a GF4 MX440/AGP8x/64MB card;
> unfortunately, after 3-5 minutes of playing 3D games (like Hitman2 or

F1GP4)
> my system hangs and shows a blue screen. Most frequently (but not always),
> it says that the problem was caused by the "nv4_disp.dll" driver file,

which
> is a part of the NVIDIA drivers for the video card. Moreover, sometimes

the
> problem happens even when using plain Windows applications.
>
> My configuration is the following:
> Windows XP pro
> Motherboard Asus A7V8X-X (northbridge VIA KT400, southbridge VIA VT8235)
> RAM DDR 512MB 400MHz
> NVIDIA drivers V53.03
>
> I searched the newsgroups for similar problems and I found several but
> contradictory information; the possible cause appears to be one of the
> following:
> - Poor GPU cooling (I don't have a GPU fan, I just have a heatsink)
> - Video card drivers
> - VIA AGP controller drivers

How about removal of the side cover? Maybe have a small AC fan blowing
at the AGP card? As to why they have the heatsink UNDER the card, I'll
never know.
<Lo

Davide Mancusi

No fans blowing on the AGP card. Should I get one? Do I need to get rid of
the old heatsink? It has a strange lumped shape!

Davide

"Lopaka" <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:uZEKb.45753$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Davide Mancusi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bBVJb.229660$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I recently bought a new computer with a GF4 MX440/AGP8x/64MB card;
> > unfortunately, after 3-5 minutes of playing 3D games (like Hitman2 or

> F1GP4)
> > my system hangs and shows a blue screen. Most frequently (but not

always),
> > it says that the problem was caused by the "nv4_disp.dll" driver file,

> which
> > is a part of the NVIDIA drivers for the video card. Moreover, sometimes

> the
> > problem happens even when using plain Windows applications.
> >
> > My configuration is the following:
> > Windows XP pro
> > Motherboard Asus A7V8X-X (northbridge VIA KT400, southbridge VIA VT8235)
> > RAM DDR 512MB 400MHz
> > NVIDIA drivers V53.03
> >
> > I searched the newsgroups for similar problems and I found several but
> > contradictory information; the possible cause appears to be one of the
> > following:
> > - Poor GPU cooling (I don't have a GPU fan, I just have a heatsink)
> > - Video card drivers
> > - VIA AGP controller drivers

> How about removal of the side cover? Maybe have a small AC fan blowing
> at the AGP card? As to why they have the heatsink UNDER the card, I'll
> never know.
> <Lo

Dark Avenger

"Davide Mancusi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bBVJb.229660$(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> Hi all,
>
> I recently bought a new computer with a GF4 MX440/AGP8x/64MB card;
> unfortunately, after 3-5 minutes of playing 3D games (like Hitman2 or F1GP4)
> my system hangs and shows a blue screen. Most frequently (but not always),
> it says that the problem was caused by the "nv4_disp.dll" driver file, which
> is a part of the NVIDIA drivers for the video card. Moreover, sometimes the
> problem happens even when using plain Windows applications.
>
> My configuration is the following:
> Windows XP pro
> Motherboard Asus A7V8X-X (northbridge VIA KT400, southbridge VIA VT8235)
> RAM DDR 512MB 400MHz
> NVIDIA drivers V53.03
>
> I searched the newsgroups for similar problems and I found several but
> contradictory information; the possible cause appears to be one of the
> following:
> - Poor GPU cooling (I don't have a GPU fan, I just have a heatsink)
> - Video card drivers
> - VIA AGP controller drivers
> - who knows?!?
>
> Can anyone give me any help?!? How can I decide which is the real cause?
>
> Thank you!!!
>
> Davide

Re Install the nvidia driver, that DLL file is just damage, re-install
it and it works fine!