4 pin ATX power supply connector question

Lee MacMillan

In the process of swapping out my 8KHA+ for an 8RDA3+. The latter has the
extra 4 pin power supply connector. The manual says the 4 pins are 2
grounds and 2 12v but my new power supply connector has 1 each of black,
red, orange & yellow. Anyone know if the ATX spec has changed since this
mobo was made? Am I SOL unless I get a different power supply?

Thanks.

Graham W

Lee MacMillan wrote:
> In the process of swapping out my 8KHA+ for an 8RDA3+. The latter has
> the extra 4 pin power supply connector. The manual says the 4 pins are
> 2 grounds and 2 12v but my new power supply connector has 1 each of
> black, red, orange & yellow. Anyone know if the ATX spec has changed
> since this mobo was made? Am I SOL unless I get a different power
> supply?

That might be simplest thing to do, Lee. New boards come with a 24 pin
power socket but the PSU makers usually use a connector that has
20 + 4 so that a bit of it can be unclipped and used seperately.

HTH
WIMBORNE http://www.wessex-astro.org.uk/ Wessex Astro Society's Website
Dorset UK Info, Meeting Dates, Sites & Maps

Lee MacMillan

"Graham W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4687d896$0$8744$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Lee MacMillan wrote:
> > In the process of swapping out my 8KHA+ for an 8RDA3+. The latter has
> > the extra 4 pin power supply connector. The manual says the 4 pins are
> > 2 grounds and 2 12v but my new power supply connector has 1 each of
> > black, red, orange & yellow. Anyone know if the ATX spec has changed
> > since this mobo was made? Am I SOL unless I get a different power
> > supply?

> That might be simplest thing to do, Lee. New boards come with a 24 pin
> power socket but the PSU makers usually use a connector that has
> 20 + 4 so that a bit of it can be unclipped and used seperately.
>
> HTH
> --
> Graham W http://www.gcw.org.uk/ PGM-FI page updated, Graphics Tutorial
> WIMBORNE http://www.wessex-astro.org.uk/ Wessex Astro Society's Website
> Dorset UK Info, Meeting Dates, Sites & Maps

I checked the PSU in my other machine and it has the same 4 color 4 pin
connector so I'm thinking this mobo may be the odd man out so to speak. The
PSU has a 6 pin PCI-Express connector that is 3 grounds and 3 12v lines. I
wonder if I could use 4 pins of that connector to make it work. Or maybe
just see if it will fire up without the 4 pin connector. What do you think?

Lee MacMillan

"Graham W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4687d896$0$8744$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Lee MacMillan wrote:
> > In the process of swapping out my 8KHA+ for an 8RDA3+. The latter has
> > the extra 4 pin power supply connector. The manual says the 4 pins are
> > 2 grounds and 2 12v but my new power supply connector has 1 each of
> > black, red, orange & yellow. Anyone know if the ATX spec has changed
> > since this mobo was made? Am I SOL unless I get a different power
> > supply?

> That might be simplest thing to do, Lee. New boards come with a 24 pin
> power socket but the PSU makers usually use a connector that has
> 20 + 4 so that a bit of it can be unclipped and used seperately.
>
> HTH
> --
> Graham W http://www.gcw.org.uk/ PGM-FI page updated, Graphics Tutorial
> WIMBORNE http://www.wessex-astro.org.uk/ Wessex Astro Society's Website
> Dorset UK Info, Meeting Dates, Sites & Maps
> Change 'news' to 'sewn' in my Reply address to avoid my spam filter.

I found the right connector. There were so many unused connectors bundled
together I just missed it the first time around. Plus it was confusing
since the other 4 pin connector was bundled with the 20 pin ATX connector.

Graham W

Lee MacMillan wrote:
> "Graham W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4687d896$0$8744$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> Lee MacMillan wrote:
>>> In the process of swapping out my 8KHA+ for an 8RDA3+. The latter has
>>> the extra 4 pin power supply connector. The manual says the 4 pins
>>> are 2 grounds and 2 12v but my new power supply connector has 1 each
>>> of black, red, orange & yellow. Anyone know if the ATX spec has
>>> changed since this mobo was made? Am I SOL unless I get a different
>>> power supply?

>> That might be simplest thing to do, Lee. New boards come with a 24 pin
>> power socket but the PSU makers usually use a connector that has
>> 20 + 4 so that a bit of it can be unclipped and used seperately.
>>
>> HTH
>> --
>> Graham W http://www.gcw.org.uk/ PGM-FI page updated, Graphics
>> Tutorial WIMBORNE http://www.wessex-astro.org.uk/ Wessex Astro
>> Society's Website Dorset UK Info, Meeting Dates, Sites & Maps
>> Change 'news' to 'sewn' in my Reply address to avoid my spam filter.

> I found the right connector. There were so many unused connectors
> bundled together I just missed it the first time around. Plus it was
> confusing since the other 4 pin connector was bundled with the 20 pin
> ATX connector.

Good!

Have you made it go yet?

WIMBORNE http://www.wessex-astro.org.uk/ Wessex Astro Society's Website
Dorset UK Info, Meeting Dates, Sites & Maps

Lee M.

"Graham W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46880291$0$8747$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Lee MacMillan wrote:
>> "Graham W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4687d896$0$8744$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> That might be simplest thing to do, Lee. New boards come with a 24 pin
>>> power socket but the PSU makers usually use a connector that has
>>> 20 + 4 so that a bit of it can be unclipped and used seperately.
>>>
>>> HTH
>>> --
>>> Graham W http://www.gcw.org.uk/ PGM-FI page updated, Graphics
>>> Tutorial WIMBORNE http://www.wessex-astro.org.uk/ Wessex Astro
>>> Society's Website Dorset UK Info, Meeting Dates, Sites & Maps
>>> Change 'news' to 'sewn' in my Reply address to avoid my spam filter.

>> I found the right connector. There were so many unused connectors
>> bundled together I just missed it the first time around. Plus it was
>> confusing since the other 4 pin connector was bundled with the 20 pin
>> ATX connector.

> Good!
>
> Have you made it go yet?

Yep, it's running right now with the Athlon 1800+ that was in the 8KHA+.
The 8RDA3+ with nForce 400 chipset is about 10% faster on the SuperPi
benchmark than the KT266A chipset. Tomorrow I will install an Athlon 2700+
with 333FSB and I expect it will really fly (relatively speaking.) I'm
trying to stay in the socket A world for as long as I can. I don't play
games or do any real CPU intensive work so this should be fine for quite a
while. With this latest upgrade, my system will be Vista capable should I
decide to go that way (running XP w/SP2 right now.)

Thanks for your help Graham. We may be the only ones still reading this
board ;-)

Lee

Graham W

Lee M. wrote:
> "Graham W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:46880291$0$8747$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> Lee MacMillan wrote:
>>> "Graham W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:4687d896$0$8744$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I found the right connector. There were so many unused connectors
>>> bundled together I just missed it the first time around. Plus it was
>>> confusing since the other 4 pin connector was bundled with the 20 pin
>>> ATX connector.

>> Good!
>>
>> Have you made it go yet?
>>

> Yep, it's running right now with the Athlon 1800+ that was in the 8KHA+.
> The 8RDA3+ with nForce 400 chipset is about 10% faster on the SuperPi
> benchmark than the KT266A chipset. Tomorrow I will install an Athlon
> 2700+ with 333FSB and I expect it will really fly (relatively
> speaking.) I'm trying to stay in the socket A world for as long as I
> can. I don't play games or do any real CPU intensive work so this
> should be fine for quite a while. With this latest upgrade, my system
> will be Vista capable should I decide to go that way (running XP w/SP2
> right now.)
>
> Thanks for your help Graham. We may be the only ones still reading this
> board ;-)

Well, I think Shep and DaveL look in on a fairly frequent basis but I look
for
new posts each day.

That 2700+ sounds quite good! This system is 2400+ at stock speed
on Win98SE which is now getting quite flaky having lost half of the
USB stuff and not being able to run other USB properly. BTW, it's an
8RDA+ board here with 512k memory.

I've recently joined the opposition and bought a Dell Dimension E520
which comes with a Core 2 duo CPU and Vista Business as standard
for about 240 (don't know what that is in N fl ) The E4300 is very
o/c-able
according to some of the forums who look at these things.

I'm still 'doing things' with it to make it safe for the 'net but its
already got
my old multi card reader in it and I was thinking about a PC-Tel modem
(being the one that the factory fit) since I have a new one in a box here
which I could use to serve as an analogue back-up to the ADSL
connection that the w98 m/c currently uses. The Dell will get plugged
into the D-Link DSL-G624T when it and I are ready for the wider world.

Hey, it's magic how USB pen-drives just get picked up automagically!
But the card reader took 15mins to install itself as it has 4 socket
channels which get assigned as drive letters. All I needed to do was
press 'OK' now and again - magic!

Anyway, glad you're sorted on the PSU front and it is actually working.

WIMBORNE http://www.wessex-astro.org.uk/ Wessex Astro Society's Website
Dorset UK Info, Meeting Dates, Sites & Maps

Lee M.

"Graham W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46882984$0$8748$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Lee M. wrote:
>> "Graham W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:46880291$0$8747$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Good!
>>>
>>> Have you made it go yet?
>>>

>> Yep, it's running right now with the Athlon 1800+ that was in the 8KHA+.
>> The 8RDA3+ with nForce 400 chipset is about 10% faster on the SuperPi
>> benchmark than the KT266A chipset. Tomorrow I will install an Athlon
>> 2700+ with 333FSB and I expect it will really fly (relatively
>> speaking.) I'm trying to stay in the socket A world for as long as I
>> can. I don't play games or do any real CPU intensive work so this
>> should be fine for quite a while. With this latest upgrade, my system
>> will be Vista capable should I decide to go that way (running XP w/SP2
>> right now.)
>>
>> Thanks for your help Graham. We may be the only ones still reading this
>> board ;-)
>>

> Well, I think Shep and DaveL look in on a fairly frequent basis but I look
> for
> new posts each day.
>
> That 2700+ sounds quite good! This system is 2400+ at stock speed
> on Win98SE which is now getting quite flaky having lost half of the
> USB stuff and not being able to run other USB properly. BTW, it's an
> 8RDA+ board here with 512k memory.
>
> I've recently joined the opposition and bought a Dell Dimension E520
> which comes with a Core 2 duo CPU and Vista Business as standard
> for about 240 (don't know what that is in N fl ) The E4300 is very
> o/c-able
> according to some of the forums who look at these things.
>
> I'm still 'doing things' with it to make it safe for the 'net but its
> already got
> my old multi card reader in it and I was thinking about a PC-Tel modem
> (being the one that the factory fit) since I have a new one in a box here
> which I could use to serve as an analogue back-up to the ADSL
> connection that the w98 m/c currently uses. The Dell will get plugged
> into the D-Link DSL-G624T when it and I are ready for the wider world.
>
> Hey, it's magic how USB pen-drives just get picked up automagically!
> But the card reader took 15mins to install itself as it has 4 socket
> channels which get assigned as drive letters. All I needed to do was
> press 'OK' now and again - magic!
>
> Anyway, glad you're sorted on the PSU front and it is actually working.

I have an 8RDA+ as my 2nd desktop. Got it from my son and it runs ok but
many of the caps are bulging/leaking and the CPU voltage fluctates between
1.4 and 1.6 almost constantly. Tried a 2500+ CPU in it a few months ago and
it wouldn't even boot. I'll put the 1800+ in it and sell the 2200+ that is
in it now. It only gets turned on 2 or 3 times a week and then just for
surfing or newsgroups so the slower CPU will be just fine.

dave

"Graham W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46882984$0$8748$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, I think Shep and DaveL look in on a fairly frequent basis but I look
> for
> new posts each day.

Yeah. I'm still hanging around. I don't game either but I will attempt to
play Half Life ep3 and TF2 when they come out in the fall. I sure hope my
old 8RDA+ can keep up. For everything else I use it for it seems to be just
fine.

DaveL

R. C. White

Hi, Graham.

I'm still here! ;<)

I check for new posts every day, but there haven't been any lately. Maybe
everybody else's experience is like mine: I installed my new MF570sli (with
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ in the AM2 slot) back in December and it "just
works". ;<) It was my present to myself to celebrate the end of the Vista
beta. It has been running Vista Ultimate x64 (and dual-booting x86, with a
couple of WinXP's loaded but never used anymore) ever since I got the RTM
version.

It replaced the faithful KDA3+ that had been running for about 3 years.
Well, that one did have a short in one memory slot, but it ran fine using
the other two slots. So I handed it down to my grandson, who turned 4 in
April, and installed a full retail Vista Ultimate x64 on it. His parents
are both computer professionals, but he has the only 64-bit rig in the
family. ;<)

It's good for us lurkers to post now and then, just to let each other know
that we are still here. If we wait until our EPoX mobo has a problem, this
NG might seem to have faded away. And that's a Good Thing!

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Graham W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46882984$0$8748$(E-Mail Removed)...

<SNIP>

>> Lee MacMillan wrote:
>> Thanks for your help Graham. We may be the only ones still reading this
>> board ;-)
>>

> Well, I think Shep and DaveL look in on a fairly frequent basis but I look
> for
> new posts each day.

<SNIP>

24 pin ATX Power Supply with Compaq Motherboard news@redlamb.net Compaq 0 12-19-2005 03:07 AM
A7N8X-E and CoolerMaster (24 pin ATX Power connector) help hewitt10@gmail.com Asus 3 10-28-2005 12:50 PM
24 pin ATX power vs 20 pin Jim Asus 6 03-21-2005 12:29 PM
how do I adapt 3-pin molex to 4-pin power connector? Diana Hardware 1 01-19-2004 08:08 PM
Micro ATX board with 300 Watts ATX Power Supply PCboy Hardware 2 10-15-2003 02:09 PM