40 wire vs 80 wire IDE cable for optical drives question

William

My optical drives are slow to respond, are flaky, and sometimes do not auto
start. I've been reading up on the subject and one person mentioned that
changing the cable from the 40 wire type to the 80 wire type will improve
the performance. Especially on mobo's that use the ICH7R chipset.

Has anyone run into this on the MSI 975X boards? I think I'll just give it
a try. I have a 80 wire unit laying around, and for the trouble of putting
it on , I can find out if their is anything to this.

I'm trying to run down some problems I am having with this mobo.

William

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Andr=E9,_PE1PQX?=

William gebruikte zijn klavier om te schrijven :
> My optical drives are slow to respond, are flaky, and sometimes do not auto
> start. I've been reading up on the subject and one person mentioned that
> changing the cable from the 40 wire type to the 80 wire type will improve the
> performance. Especially on mobo's that use the ICH7R chipset.
>
> Has anyone run into this on the MSI 975X boards? I think I'll just give it
> a try. I have a 80 wire unit laying around, and for the trouble of putting
> it on , I can find out if their is anything to this.
>
> I'm trying to run down some problems I am having with this mobo.
>
> William

Hi Wiliam,

By swapping to 80 wire cable, surely will improve the datarate to and
from your optical drive.
Also you should enable DMA mode on your IDE channels. I have the idea
your optical drives run in PIO mode now (and do not forget to check
your opticals if they have the possibility to switch to DMA by setting
a jumper).
And I also suggest to update the IDE drivers for your mobo, this also
can solve some issues.

Good luck.

André

milsabords

William wrote:
> My optical drives are slow to respond, are flaky, and sometimes do
> not auto start. I've been reading up on the subject and one person
> mentioned that changing the cable from the 40 wire type to the 80
> wire type will improve the performance. Especially on mobo's that use
> the ICH7R chipset.
> Has anyone run into this on the MSI 975X boards? I think I'll just
> give it a try. I have a 80 wire unit laying around, and for the
> trouble of putting it on , I can find out if their is anything to
> this.
> I'm trying to run down some problems I am having with this mobo.
>
> William

40 wire cables will limit your IDE drives and CD/DVD to UDMA2 at best.

William

"milsabords" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:455394df$0$11170$(E-Mail Removed)...
> William wrote:
>> My optical drives are slow to respond, are flaky, and sometimes do
>> not auto start. I've been reading up on the subject and one person
>> mentioned that changing the cable from the 40 wire type to the 80
>> wire type will improve the performance. Especially on mobo's that use
>> the ICH7R chipset.
>> Has anyone run into this on the MSI 975X boards? I think I'll just
>> give it a try. I have a 80 wire unit laying around, and for the
>> trouble of putting it on , I can find out if their is anything to
>> this.
>> I'm trying to run down some problems I am having with this mobo.
>>
>> William

> 40 wire cables will limit your IDE drives and CD/DVD to UDMA2 at best.

My old mobo an ASUS K8V Deluxe, it used 40 wire on the optical drives, and
80 wire on the hd's. All ran fine.

This MSI 975X mobo, only came with one 40 wire cable setup, wrapped in a red
sleeve making the runs round, but 40 count only. No choice, just one set.
(4 SATA cables though, my hd is SATA by the way.)

William