48-bit LBA Support for P4SBA Mobo

SCIS420

Does anyone know if there is a BIOS update for the P4SBA motherboard that
will support 48-bit LBA addressing to accomodate hard drives larger than 137
GB? SuperMicro is less than helpful.

Brian K. White

To my knowledge, there is no BIOS update available. I use a Promise ultra
ATA card for all of my hard drives anyway. The embedded controller only
supports ATA-33 whereas the card I am using supports ATA-100. ATA-33 is
more than sufficient for CD-ROM, DVD , tape, etc. but is yesterday's
technology so far as hard drives go. ATA-100 (and above) cards can be had
relatively cheaply and provide a lot of band for the buck in terms of
increasing disk speed.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...