503+ and detection of HD's and CD's

Den

I have noticed recently that the BIOS and sometimes W98SE
does not always identify the second 80GB HD and the second
CD drive in particular a newish Sony CD-ROM set as slave.

At the moment after a BIOS check the second HD is seen OK
even though Windows saw the second HD, but still no second
CD-ROM since swapping it for a slower one then swapping back.

Den

Kylesb

I presume you have all drive settings on "auto" in CMOS?

--
Best regards,
Kyle
| I have noticed recently that the BIOS and sometimes W98SE
| does not always identify the second 80GB HD and the second
| CD drive in particular a newish Sony CD-ROM set as slave.
|
| At the moment after a BIOS check the second HD is seen OK
| even though Windows saw the second HD, but still no second
| CD-ROM since swapping it for a slower one then swapping back.
|
| Den

Den

"Kylesb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:c5ah71$2q45ov$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> I presume you have all drive settings on "auto" in CMOS?

Yes all set to auto.

Den

Den

"Den" <(E-Mail Removed)-But-Was-Limited.RIP> wrote in message news:c5bjkj$r79$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Kylesb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:c5ah71$2q45ov$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > I presume you have all drive settings on "auto" in CMOS?
> >

> Yes all set to auto.

I can get the second slave CD seen if I disconnect Master CD
so I am wondering after trying various settings (including HD disconnections)
that it might be a power supply issue, an AT one but no marking of who made
it or power rating.

AT power supply (unknown make)
HD master Maxtor 92041U4 20GB
HD slave Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB
Sony CD CDU5211 (set as master)

Now disconnected
Philips CDRW 1600 (works fine if set as a single master)
but can switch this to the 2013-PA to try it.

Den

Kylesb

Most burners like being the "master" on their IDE channel, try setting
the cd drive to slave and the cdr/w to master.

--
Best regards,
Kyle
"Den" <(E-Mail Removed)-But-Was-Limited.RIP> wrote
in message news:c5dbnq$saq$(E-Mail Removed)...

| "Den" <(E-Mail Removed)-But-Was-Limited.RIP> wrote
in message news:c5bjkj$r79$(E-Mail Removed)...

| > "Kylesb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c5ah71$2q45ov$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
| > > I presume you have all drive settings on "auto" in CMOS?
| > >
| > Yes all set to auto.
| >
| I can get the second slave CD seen if I disconnect Master CD
| so I am wondering after trying various settings (including HD
disconnections)
| that it might be a power supply issue, an AT one but no marking of
who made
| it or power rating.
|
| AT power supply (unknown make)
| HD master Maxtor 92041U4 20GB
| HD slave Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB
| Sony CD CDU5211 (set as master)
|
| Now disconnected
| Philips CDRW 1600 (works fine if set as a single master)
| but can switch this to the 2013-PA to try it.
|
| Den

Den

"Kylesb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:c5e9lv$lp08$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Most burners like being the "master" on their IDE channel, try setting
> the cd drive to slave and the cdr/w to master.

This is the way I do set them up, I could perhaps try reversing this
so that the CD-RW becames the slave.

The two CD's were being seen by BIOS & W98 but this was before
adding the second HD, this why I am wondering whether the power
supply might be the problem. No HD controller card being used.

PS
I will repeat;
"This is the way I do set them up, I could perhaps try reversing this
so that the CD-RW becames the slave"
DOH!
All the time of swapping and testing, I now have the following
showing in both BIOS & W98SE.
HD master Maxtor 92041U4 20GB
HD slave Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB
Sony CD CDU5211 (set as master)
Philips CDRW 1610A (set as slave)

So thanks Kyle, it was reading and re-reading the posts in case
I had missed something then trying the reverse order way. :-))

Den