Carbon

I got my wife a new Core Duo laptop to replace her 503+/k6-2 450 box. I
planned to replace my old p75 ipcop linux firewall that had been running
for years. I never got around to it because it just sat in the closet and
did its thing. But Tuesday there was a big lightning strike followed by a
popping sound over by the computers. Wireless router, onboard nic on my
desktop, and the old p75--all dead.

I did have one 503 related issue. At first I couldn't get ipcop to detect
the old ne2000 isa network card I had. I was pretty sure it worked, at
least it did in the computer I pulled it out of. Eventually I went into
the pnp/pci section of the bios, chose the bios defaults and enabled reset
configuration data. I rebooted and ipcop detected the card. I don't recall
running into this with other computers, but I've just been lucky.

I found a new nic for my desktop machine, found three total for the 503+,
one for the external red interface, one for the green network my main
computer is on, one for the blue wireless network my wife's laptop will be
on as soon as I round up another wireless router or access point. What's
great is the 503+ has enough power to run the squid transparent proxy and
also the snort intrusion detection scanner. Squid especially has really
sped things up. Anyway, try ipcop, it's cool as hell and a great way to
use an old but still working computer.

Kyle

I also recommend trying out Coyote Linux, tho its development has
ended, it is still a great floppy boot router/firewall setup.

--
Best regards,
Kyle
news(E-Mail Removed) .net...