5100 Motherboard removal

Junior Member

I have an Aspire 5100 that has been neglected by my wife. She basically let the problems go until the poor laptop finally died. :-( Apparently the power jack is broken so it won't charge and that's just the first problem. After that it won't boot up, then it doesn't recognize the ethernet card, and then it runs incredibly slow. After I get all of that fixed, I'm sure I'll find something else wrong with it.

Sorry about all of that. Anyway, my question is with taking apart the laptop itself. I have everything off (the LCD, battery, CD, keyboard, etc.) and I am about to remove the heat sink as the final part. However, the top part of the case is attached to the mother board pretty snuggly. How does this come apart? If so, how? I didn't want to break it, so I have left it alone. I need to get the motherboard out to replace the powerjack. Has anyone removed this motherboard before? Anyhelp would be great. Thanks!!

Junior Member

The point that the board it attached is just "under" the where the power button would be. By that, I mean that it is about 1-2 away from the display, towards the keyboard. I have all the screws out and it looks like the top cover is about to come off all except for this one spot.