510X slow boot etc.

JE

This machine takes about 5 minutes before the icons appear on the desktop.
I have cleaned the pre-fetch, done defrag and disk cleanup, in msconfig I
have loaded startup programs one at a time and nothing helped. I went
further and did the same with "Services" and found one service, "Shell
Hardware Detection", that if I did not load that, the machine booted very
fast. At the same time, the machine is on a network using wireless and the
usb adapter sees the router, but won't connect or see the internet. Just
what is that "shell" service and do you think it might affect the wireless
adapter? If this service is the problem, can that be changed so that it
will work with the adapter or make the machine boot faster?

Thanks!

--
Email no good, reply to group