5EH5 not working... most times

anpap@my-deja.com

I had a PC with a Soyo 5EH5 v1.3 motherboard. At some point the OS
started hanging
all the time. Re-installation also hanged at some point, so I thought
it was a hardware problem.
I replaced everything on that PC (including the AMD K6-2 processor),
but the problem wasn't solved. I even got another (used) 5EH5
motherboard from ebay, but that didn't solve the problem either. I took
everything out of the computer case and tried them on the bench.
Sometimes, I get 5-6 beeps, sometimes 3, sometimes 2, sometimes none.
There are times that the BIOS loads and starts detecting the hard
drives. Basically, the motherboard behaves differently every time
I turn it on.

Any idea of what could be wrong? I've heard about problems with
motherboards that are
caused by leaking capacitors. The electrolytic capacitors near the
processor don't seem to be leaking, although their tops are not
completely... flat as they should be...

Any help will be appreciated!

cheers,
Andreas

uddarts

"" wrote
> I had a PC with a Soyo 5EH5 v1.3 motherboard. At some point
> the OS
> started hanging
> all the time. Re-installation also hanged at some point, so I
> thought
> it was a hardware problem.
> I replaced everything on that PC (including the AMD K6-2
> processor),
> but the problem wasn't solved. I even got another (used) 5EH5
> motherboard from ebay, but that didn't solve the problem
> either. I took
> everything out of the computer case and tried them on the
> bench.
> Sometimes, I get 5-6 beeps, sometimes 3, sometimes 2,
> sometimes none.
> There are times that the BIOS loads and starts detecting the
> hard
> drives. Basically, the motherboard behaves differently every
> time
> I turn it on.
>
> Any idea of what could be wrong? I've heard about problems
> with
> motherboards that are
> caused by leaking capacitors. The electrolytic capacitors near
> the
> processor don't seem to be leaking, although their tops are
> not
> completely... flat as they should be...
>
> Any help will be appreciated!
>
> cheers,
> Andrea

have you tried a different psu?

ud

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/5EH5-w...pict67426.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=337492

anpap@my-deja.com

Yes, the problem persists even with a different power supply.

I desoldered the capacitors near the processor. Almost all of them
were leaking from the bottom! It seems that this was the cause of the
problem.
Now I'll have to find a suitable replacement. Anyone knows where I can
get
electrolytic caps 1500uf, 6.3V, up to 105 degrees C and with diameter
no larger
than 8mm? I checked a couple of online vendors but the ones they have
in stock
are larger than 8mm and won't fit the motherboard...

Andreas

AndyC

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Yes, the problem persists even with a different power supply.
>
> I desoldered the capacitors near the processor. Almost all of them
> were leaking from the bottom! It seems that this was the cause of the
> problem.
> Now I'll have to find a suitable replacement. Anyone knows where I can
> get
> electrolytic caps 1500uf, 6.3V, up to 105 degrees C and with diameter
> no larger
> than 8mm? I checked a couple of online vendors but the ones they have
> in stock
> are larger than 8mm and won't fit the motherboard...
>
> Andreas

Try Digi-Key Electronics: 1-800-344-4539. The Panasonic FC or NHG
series should have what you need in terms of cap size/values.

Andy

uddarts

"" wrote
> Yes, the problem persists even with a different power supply.
>
> I desoldered the capacitors near the processor. Almost all of
> them
> were leaking from the bottom! It seems that this was the cause
> of the
> problem.
> Now I'll have to find a suitable replacement. Anyone knows
> where I can
> get
> electrolytic caps 1500uf, 6.3V, up to 105 degrees C and with
> diameter
> no larger
> than 8mm? I checked a couple of online vendors but the ones
> they have
> in stock
> are larger than 8mm and won't fit the motherboard...
>
> Andrea

go here, register and post a thread to davidgl. he does a lot of that
on the ecs k7s5as and im almost sure he can tell you what will work.

http://www.ocworkbench.com/ocwb/ulti.../forum/35.html

ud

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/5EH5-w...pict67426.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=337800

anpap@my-deja.com

Thanks for your help guys!
Suprisingly enough, I found the 8mm capacitors I needed in a local
store!
I have replaced them and the motherboard is working fine ... so far :-)

cheers,

Andreas