64-bit development

goblin

I'm wanting to get a 64-bit system for development and probably will go
with the FX. Everywhere I look all I see are comparisons to 32-bit CPUs
and software. Can someone point me to 64-bit samples?

Is there a version of .NET that runs at 64-bits?

Price is not too critical. Am I better off with the FX or a dual Opteron?

Any help where I can find real 64-bit info would be helpful.
Thanks

Student

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 13:33:52 -0600, goblin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm wanting to get a 64-bit system for development and probably will go
>with the FX. Everywhere I look all I see are comparisons to 32-bit CPUs
>and software. Can someone point me to 64-bit samples?
>
>Is there a version of .NET that runs at 64-bits?
>
>Price is not too critical. Am I better off with the FX or a dual Opteron?
>
>Any help where I can find real 64-bit info would be helpful.
>Thanks

This may answer some of your questions...
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Weblets/0,,...,00.html#19908

Wes Newell

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 13:33:52 -0600, goblin wrote:

> I'm wanting to get a 64-bit system for development and probably will go
> with the FX. Everywhere I look all I see are comparisons to 32-bit CPUs
> and software. Can someone point me to 64-bit samples?

You can download and run 64bit Linux and apps now.

> Is there a version of .NET that runs at 64-bits?

Not in the MS world.

> Price is not too critical. Am I better off with the FX or a dual
> Opteron?

I don't know where MS stands on smp, but linux supports it now.

> Any help where I can find real 64-bit info would be helpful. Thanks

http://www.x86-64.org/

search x86_64.

stacey

goblin wrote:

> I'm wanting to get a 64-bit system for development and probably will go
> with the FX. Everywhere I look all I see are comparisons to 32-bit CPUs
> and software. Can someone point me to 64-bit samples?
>
> Is there a version of .NET that runs at 64-bits?

Why would you want .NET in any form?
--

Stacey

goblin

stacey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:btnnar$9h7fk$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:

> goblin wrote:
>
>> I'm wanting to get a 64-bit system for development and probably will
>> go with the FX. Everywhere I look all I see are comparisons to 32-bit
>> CPUs and software. Can someone point me to 64-bit samples?
>>
>> Is there a version of .NET that runs at 64-bits?
>>

> Why would you want .NET in any form?

Have you messed with it? I've not seen a nicer programming environment
ever. It is being ported to linux.

Jared Richardson

"goblin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns948D2538C4D55goblinspooksnet@216.196.105.1 30...
> stacey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:btnnar$9h7fk$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:
>
> > goblin wrote:
> >
> >> I'm wanting to get a 64-bit system for development and probably will
> >> go with the FX. Everywhere I look all I see are comparisons to 32-bit
> >> CPUs and software. Can someone point me to 64-bit samples?
> >>
> >> Is there a version of .NET that runs at 64-bits?
> >>

> > Why would you want .NET in any form?

> Have you messed with it? I've not seen a nicer programming environment
> ever. It is being ported to linux.

I don't think there is a 64 bit version of .Net at this time... however, you
can get an AMD Opteron and run a 32 bit version of Windows on it now and
upgrade when the dev environment you want arrives.

goblin

"Jared Richardson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:VMXWb.6811$(E-Mail Removed) m:

> "goblin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns948D2538C4D55goblinspooksnet@216.196.105.1 30...
>> stacey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:btnnar$9h7fk$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:

>> > Why would you want .NET in any form?

>> Have you messed with it? I've not seen a nicer programming
>> environment ever. It is being ported to linux.
>>

> I don't think there is a 64 bit version of .Net at this time...
> however, you can get an AMD Opteron and run a 32 bit version of
> Windows on it now and upgrade when the dev environment you want
> arrives.

I know there's a 64bit commandline compiler in VS .NET 2003 but I don't
think it supports the clr runtime yet. Even when it does, M$ seems to
imply that all 64bit development should be done in the 32bit
environment. I'm sure that will change in the future after XP-64 is
finalized. I also plan to develop on linux64. I'm not someone that
chooses one over the other. Both are fun and .NET should bring them
closer together. It's also the most practical way to get C# onto linux.

I'm waiting for the FX-53 before I empty my bank account <G>

OT: Web Development Vince Dell 2 06-27-2006 12:23 AM
Channel Sales, Business Development Roles Sarah HP 0 03-08-2006 08:24 PM
Next big development in the PC world? Doug Jacobs Dell 9 02-21-2005 04:33 PM
An affordable USB development tool Chris Stephens IBM 0 07-30-2004 10:43 AM
Take Professional Development Survey. Win IPAQ! Deloy Cole HP 0 07-07-2004 05:11 PM