6800 GT Screen blanking problem please help!

JTWadsworth

Running a 6800GT at normal specs in an Alienware ALX machine
(Alienware is no help, please don't buy from them like I did)

Resolution is 1600x1200 (native monitor resolution). Whenever I am in
32bit color mode, and in internet explorer (or firefox) and I am
browsing differeint website, the screen will often blank to black then
come back 1 second later. It is extraordinarily annoying. Sometimes
it blanks faster and is unusuable. Note that the power is not
shutting down the monitor..this is a graphics card issue. When I set
to 16bit color mode, it happens only very rarely.

Please help! Is this just a bum card? I have used the latest Nvidia
drivers and a rollback to the previous latest drivers.

Someone help please? I'm at the end of my rope after dealing with
this problem for over 4 months with Alienware ( feel free to flame me,
I deserve it from buying from them..lesson learned)

JTWadsworth
(E-Mail Removed)

rms

I would look at monitor refresh rate, check that your monitor is properly
detected in device manager.

rms

Nikonja

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:22:02 GMT, rms wrote:

> I would look at monitor refresh rate, check that your monitor is properly
> detected in device manager.
>
> rms

I had similar problem with my 6600gt extreme and i solved by dowclocking it
from 550/1120 ti 500/1000, and since then no problems for me !

Kill Bill

"rms" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eM7ae.1362$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>I would look at monitor refresh rate, check that your monitor is properly
>detected in device manager.
>
> rms

http://www.techimo.com/forum/showthr...=117062&page=1

JTWadsworth

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 17:13:37 +0200, Nikonja <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:22:02 GMT, rms wrote:
>
>> I would look at monitor refresh rate, check that your monitor is properly
>> detected in device manager.
>>
>> rms

>I had similar problem with my 6600gt extreme and i solved by dowclocking it
>from 550/1120 ti 500/1000, and since then no problems for me !

Thanks for the response. I am not currently overclocking the card
though. It does it whether or not it is overclocked.

JTWadsworth
(E-Mail Removed)

JTWadsworth

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 01:25:31 GMT, "Kill Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"rms" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:eM7ae.1362$(E-Mail Removed) m...
>>I would look at monitor refresh rate, check that your monitor is properly
>>detected in device manager.
>>
>> rms
>>

>http://www.techimo.com/forum/showthr...=117062&page=1

Thanks for the link! I will try the registry edits to see if it
works. I hope you know, that if this works it will have fixed about 5
months of agony I've had trying to deal with the vendor (even shipping
the machine back to them) to get it fixed.

jtw
JTWadsworth
(E-Mail Removed)

Kill Bill

"JTWadsworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 01:25:31 GMT, "Kill Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>"rms" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:eM7ae.1362$(E-Mail Removed) om...
>>>I would look at monitor refresh rate, check that your monitor is properly
>>>detected in device manager.
>>>
>>> rms
>>>

>>http://www.techimo.com/forum/showthr...=117062&page=1
>>

> Thanks for the link! I will try the registry edits to see if it
> works. I hope you know, that if this works it will have fixed about 5
> months of agony I've had trying to deal with the vendor (even shipping
> the machine back to them) to get it fixed.
>
> jtw
> JTWadsworth
> (E-Mail Removed)

Well I can tell you from my experience, what it should do is cut down on the
instances that it does the blanking greatly. Not completely but a lot
better. I didn't see the OP but I was getting it deleting any video files,
something about the drivers looking for a TV-output, the screen would blank
out as if I was enabling or disabling the TV-out. Just from deleting a big
mpeg.

Mine used to also do it evertime I right-clicked the Nvidia CP icon in the
system tray. Or selecting it from the desktop. Annoying as hell. Anyway,
good luck.

JTWadsworth

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 21:41:46 GMT, "Kill Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"JTWadsworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 01:25:31 GMT, "Kill Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>"rms" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:eM7ae.1362$(E-Mail Removed). com...

>>>http://www.techimo.com/forum/showthr...=117062&page=1
>>>

>> Thanks for the link! I will try the registry edits to see if it
>> works. I hope you know, that if this works it will have fixed about 5
>> months of agony I've had trying to deal with the vendor (even shipping
>> the machine back to them) to get it fixed.
>>
>> jtw
>> JTWadsworth
>> (E-Mail Removed)

>Well I can tell you from my experience, what it should do is cut down on the
>instances that it does the blanking greatly. Not completely but a lot
>better. I didn't see the OP but I was getting it deleting any video files,
>something about the drivers looking for a TV-output, the screen would blank
>out as if I was enabling or disabling the TV-out. Just from deleting a big
>mpeg.
>
>Mine used to also do it evertime I right-clicked the Nvidia CP icon in the
>system tray. Or selecting it from the desktop. Annoying as hell. Anyway,
>good luck.

Well I tried the registry deletions and I still get the screen
blanking on some websites at 32bit mode. It is amazingly annoying.
It does not do it on those websites at 16 bit mode. My monitor is
correctly detected and has the correct drivers installed (Dell 2001FP)

I hate that I have a higher end videocard but have to run in 16bit
color mode to stay sane. Anyone have another idea?

jtw
JTWadsworth
(E-Mail Removed)

Elclaudio

JTWadsworth <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 21:41:46 GMT, "Kill Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>"JTWadsworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> Thanks for the link! I will try the registry edits to see if it
>>> works. I hope you know, that if this works it will have fixed about
>>> 5 months of agony I've had trying to deal with the vendor (even
>>> shipping the machine back to them) to get it fixed.
>>>
>>> jtw
>>> JTWadsworth
>>> (E-Mail Removed)

>>Well I can tell you from my experience, what it should do is cut down
>>on the instances that it does the blanking greatly. Not completely
>>but a lot better. I didn't see the OP but I was getting it deleting
>>any video files, something about the drivers looking for a TV-output,
>>the screen would blank out as if I was enabling or disabling the
>>TV-out. Just from deleting a big mpeg.
>>
>>Mine used to also do it evertime I right-clicked the Nvidia CP icon in
>>the system tray. Or selecting it from the desktop. Annoying as hell.
>> Anyway, good luck.
>>

> Well I tried the registry deletions and I still get the screen
> blanking on some websites at 32bit mode. It is amazingly annoying.
> It does not do it on those websites at 16 bit mode. My monitor is
> correctly detected and has the correct drivers installed (Dell 2001FP)
>
> I hate that I have a higher end videocard but have to run in 16bit
> color mode to stay sane. Anyone have another idea?
>
> jtw
> JTWadsworth
> (E-Mail Removed)

Hi

Are you connected through a DVI connector ?
If so, I wonder if you can reduce the DVI frequency of you're graphic
board, or you may try a new DVI cable (a dual link one, reserved to the
high resolution display like you)

regards,
Elclaudio.

JTWadsworth

On 25 Apr 2005 17:14:58 GMT, Elclaudio <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>JTWadsworth <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 21:41:46 GMT, "Kill Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>"JTWadsworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>>Well I can tell you from my experience, what it should do is cut down
>>>on the instances that it does the blanking greatly. Not completely
>>>but a lot better. I didn't see the OP but I was getting it deleting
>>>any video files, something about the drivers looking for a TV-output,
>>>the screen would blank out as if I was enabling or disabling the
>>>TV-out. Just from deleting a big mpeg.
>>>
>>>Mine used to also do it evertime I right-clicked the Nvidia CP icon in
>>>the system tray. Or selecting it from the desktop. Annoying as hell.
>>> Anyway, good luck.
>>>

>> Well I tried the registry deletions and I still get the screen
>> blanking on some websites at 32bit mode. It is amazingly annoying.
>> It does not do it on those websites at 16 bit mode. My monitor is
>> correctly detected and has the correct drivers installed (Dell 2001FP)
>>
>> I hate that I have a higher end videocard but have to run in 16bit
>> color mode to stay sane. Anyone have another idea?
>>
>> jtw
>> JTWadsworth
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>

>Hi
>
>Are you connected through a DVI connector ?
>If so, I wonder if you can reduce the DVI frequency of you're graphic
>board, or you may try a new DVI cable (a dual link one, reserved to the
>high resolution display like you)
>
>regards,
>Elclaudio.

I am using the DVI connector. Please explain what you mean ? The DVI
frequency? Same as refresh rate? its fixed at 60hz which is the
monitor's default at 1600x1200.

Dual link?

jtw
JTWadsworth