Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

7 Questions To Ask A Laptop Salesman

 
 
Richard Bonner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-01-2009, 12:36 AM
BillW50 ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:

> Richard Bonner wrote on Wed, 10 Dec 2008 19:39:43 +0000 (UTC):
> > *** Microsoft in
> > the past has been guilty of bullying competitors out of the market, and
> > guilty of putting things into their products to mess up other operating
> > systems. I would prefer real and honest competition.


> That is because the competitors has done it to Microsoft. So are you the
> type who believes people and companies has no right to defend
> themselves?


*** Not at all, but when defense turns to outright offense at the
expense of competition and the consumer, then I don't agree.


> Also zillions of companies owes their very existence to what
> Microsoft has created. And if MS didn't battle it out with IBM, we all
> would be using IBM made computers and running IBM made software. And
> there would be nobody else around except perhaps Apple.


*** You can't predict that. However, since IBM was not the only game
before, I can't see it being the only game in your scenario.


> Well Apple would
> be gone too since Microsoft gave Apple money to stay in business, but
> you know IBM wouldn't do that for Apple.


*** Microsoft *had* to do that. If they hadn't, they would have been
broken up, as was ATT, because of anti-monopoly laws.


> So how many other competitors
> do you know that will give you money to stay in business? Nowadays Bill
> Gates is giving billions of dollars away to help people.
> --
> Bill


*** You mean just like the crime boss gives candy to all the
neighbourhood kids? Of course, the money to buy that candy was extorted
from their parents.

Richard Bonner
http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Richard Bonner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-01-2009, 12:49 AM
BillW50 ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
(Re: WordPerfect "Reveal Codes")
> You needed this feature in WP because WP automatically
> put in hidden codes while you were typing. Hard to figure out when you
> delete something that all of the sudden the formatting also went to hell as
> well. That is until you reveal WP hidden mess of things and then learned
> why.


*** ??? If you have "Reveal Codes" off and try to delete a hidden code,
a warning comes up and asks if you wish to do so.

I have never had formatting problems in WordPerfect save once when I
did not know about headers or footers (or some similar thing) and could
not understand what had happened.


> I'm sorry, but WYSIWYG is far more user friendly and why WP making life
> very difficult had to go.
> --
> Bill


*** You must be thinking of versions previous to WP 6.0. Even so, I
still often use WP 5.1 when I want fast and dirty documents typed up.

Richard Bonner
http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Richard Bonner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-01-2009, 12:54 AM
John Doue ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
(Re: WordPerfect)
> - ...learning how to use WP up to version 5.1 (the best ever)
> was challenging at the beginning because of those short cuts (which did
> not change much up to version 5.1). I know, I was an instructor for some
> time of 5.1. So the learning curve was a little intimidating at first,
> but once the initial fears went away, people loved the cleanliness of WP
> and it power. That was lost after 5.1, no denying.


*** I like it because I don't have to use (*&)@##% toolbars that make me
keep having to remove my hands from what I am typing to reach for a desk
rodent to click some little picture at the top of the screen.


> I believe that companies which behave a minimum of honesty, respect and
> dignity stand a better chance, if they are expertly managed, to survive
> than predators.
> --
> John Doue


*** Not unless the predators are taken down. The honest and ethical can
never compete with the dishonest and unethical unless they have more money
and resources.

Richard Bonner
http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard Bonner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-01-2009, 01:00 AM
BillW50 ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
> If there is a market for non-Microsoft machines,
> there would be a market for them. But the truth is, most consumers want
> Windows and that is the way it is. Those wanting something else is
> interesting, but not profitable.
>
> Bill


*** If that is the case, then why did people ever by WIndows when it
was not the dominant operating system? The fact is that most stores sell
*only* Windows machines now and the public knows little else. That
appears to be less so in Europe, and I hope that attitude comes to Canada
soon because I am tired of no choice at the retail end. Staples here tried
it when they sold Linux distros for a while, but Microsoft soon quashed
that. )-:

Richard
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard Bonner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-01-2009, 01:09 AM
AJL ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
> For the average user like me who keeps the same laptop/desktop for
> several years I think the OEM version is the better choice. Not only
> is it much cheaper but by the time the laptop needs updating with a
> newer version so does the OS.


*** But neither the laptop nor the operating system would even need
updating if the idea of add-ons was employed as it is with browsers.

I use DOS for that very reason. My systems are 8 - 10 years old yet run
the latest software because they can. One can run 1980s software on 2008
DOS, and 2008 software on 1991 (and sometime earlier) DOS versions. I
got off the never-ending upgrade treadmill in 1999 and dumped Windoze for
good.


> If the OEM version could be transferred it would no longer be cheap.


*** It would if there was competition. Windows is expensive because
consumers have no choice when they go into the store. On a level playing
field, if all computers were priced separately with no subsidies, and the
operating systems priced separately, the sticker price on Windows would
have to drop.


> You can avoid Windows altogether. There are several alternative OS's
> that will do almost anything Windows will do. I have one such Linux
> laptop. It is definitely more difficult in many respects but still is
> quite useable. Being a small netbook it is a great traveler...


*** The problem is that not all software is available for all
operating systems and neither are stand-alone laptops - at least not here.
I go into stores and PCs *only* come with Windows.

Richard Bonner
http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard Bonner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-01-2009, 01:11 AM
BillW50 ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
> AJL typed on Sun, 14 Dec 2008 15:18:35 -0700:
> > John Doue <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > The OEM Windows (that is locked to the machine it comes in) is much
> > cheaper than the stand alone Windows version.


> About 4 to 5 times cheaper. So you would have to buy 4 to 5 machines just to
> pay for one retail copy of Windows.
> --
> Bill


*** It only appears that way because some of the cost is built into the
machines.

Richard Bonner
http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard Bonner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-01-2009, 01:14 AM
John Doue ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
> ...you seem to be comfortable with the situation as it is,
> I am not. MS does not come anymore with good and innovative products
> (look at the failure of Vista which sells only because MS says it will
> discontinue support for XP, and not for its own merits, and Word 2007)
> and when it tries to venture out of its usual turf, it gets dismal
> results (communications, security, search, Internet). Buying others
> ideas does not seem to work anymore.


> But of course, there is little I can do about this situation except
> refuse to jump in the band wagon!
> --
> John Doue


*** I guess, John, you and I will be some of the band wagon viewers as
it rolls by. (-:

Richard Bonner
http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard Bonner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-01-2009, 01:15 AM
John Doue ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
> This NG seems to be dying slowly ...
> --
> John Doue


*** Might it be because too many users bought Vista? (-:

Richard Bonner
http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/
 
Reply With Quote
 
BillW50
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-01-2009, 05:07 PM
In news:gjh58o$5dp$(E-Mail Removed),
Richard Bonner typed on Thu, 1 Jan 2009 01:11:52 +0000 (UTC):
> BillW50 ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
>> AJL typed on Sun, 14 Dec 2008 15:18:35 -0700:
>>> John Doue <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> The OEM Windows (that is locked to the machine it comes in) is much
>>> cheaper than the stand alone Windows version.

>
>> About 4 to 5 times cheaper. So you would have to buy 4 to 5 machines
>> just to pay for one retail copy of Windows.
>> --
>> Bill

>
> *** It only appears that way because some of the cost is built into
> the machines.


The price of OEM Windows is well known. It is 40 bucks per unit for high
volume purchases.

--
Bill
3 Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
2 Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 1GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
Windows XP SP2 ~ Xandros Linux


 
Reply With Quote
 
BillW50
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-01-2009, 05:20 PM
In news:gjh54o$5dp$(E-Mail Removed),
Richard Bonner typed on Thu, 1 Jan 2009 01:09:44 +0000 (UTC):
> AJL ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
>> For the average user like me who keeps the same laptop/desktop for
>> several years I think the OEM version is the better choice. Not only
>> is it much cheaper but by the time the laptop needs updating with a
>> newer version so does the OS.

>
> *** But neither the laptop nor the operating system would even need
> updating if the idea of add-ons was employed as it is with browsers.


Only true if you use OS like CP/M, GEOS or DOS. As these OS doesn't sport
any security features.

> I use DOS for that very reason. My systems are 8 - 10 years old yet
> run the latest software because they can. One can run 1980s software
> on 2008 DOS, and 2008 software on 1991 (and sometime earlier) DOS
> versions. I got off the never-ending upgrade treadmill in 1999 and dumped
> Windoze for good.


As much as I *love* DOS, it just can't handle the tasks I need to do.

>> If the OEM version could be transferred it would no longer be cheap.

>
> *** It would if there was competition. Windows is expensive because
> consumers have no choice when they go into the store. On a level
> playing field, if all computers were priced separately with no
> subsidies, and the operating systems priced separately, the sticker
> price on Windows would have to drop.


Nonsense! CP/M price was $250 while MS-DOS costs 30 bucks. Nowadays OEM
Windows of Windows costs 40 bucks and you get both Windows and DOS. Which is
a hell of a deal if you ask me.

>> You can avoid Windows altogether. There are several alternative OS's
>> that will do almost anything Windows will do. I have one such Linux
>> laptop. It is definitely more difficult in many respects but still is
>> quite useable. Being a small netbook it is a great traveler...

>
> *** The problem is that not all software is available for all
> operating systems and neither are stand-alone laptops - at least not
> here. I go into stores and PCs *only* come with Windows.


I have just the opposite problem. I want Windows and virtually all I can
find for my models is just Linux installed. Yuck! Finding OEM version of
Windows installed on EeePC 700 series are much harder to find.

--
Bill
3 Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
2 Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 1GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
Windows XP SP2 ~ Xandros Linux


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best place to ask dumbish C questions? Martin Griffith Embedded 13 02-26-2008 09:19 PM
purchased xps410 so I won't ask so many questions :) RnR Dell 0 01-15-2007 12:48 AM
Dont ask these Dell india idiots anything, You might as well go ask your dog John Dell 8 03-25-2006 06:24 AM
I kindly ask for your help! Laptop problems. dejavue82@yahoo.com Laptops 0 01-20-2005 07:25 AM
Steve Ballmer, Windows 1.0 salesman Yousuf Khan Intel 5 10-06-2004 09:29 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:53 PM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment