7 Questions To Ask A Laptop Salesman

BillW50

In news:gjh4jq$5dp$(E-Mail Removed),
Richard Bonner typed on Thu, 1 Jan 2009 01:00:42 +0000 (UTC):
> BillW50 ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
>> If there is a market for non-Microsoft machines,
>> there would be a market for them. But the truth is, most consumers
>> want Windows and that is the way it is. Those wanting something else
>> is interesting, but not profitable.
>>
>> Bill

> *** If that is the case, then why did people ever by WIndows when it
> was not the dominant operating system? The fact is that most stores
> sell *only* Windows machines now and the public knows little else.
> That appears to be less so in Europe, and I hope that attitude comes
> to Canada soon because I am tired of no choice at the retail end.
> Staples here tried it when they sold Linux distros for a while, but
> Microsoft soon quashed that. )-:

Oh nonsense! Windows came out in about 1985 and only a handful of people
were interested in Windows back then and no machines came with Windows
either. In 1990 IBM and Microsoft friendship broke up. At the time, IBM
refused to sell machines with Windows installed. As you got OS/2 instead!
Customers were outraged! They wanted Windows and not OS/2. As new
applications was mostly written for Windows and rarely for OS/2. IBM was not
pressured from Microsoft, but pressured from customers that they *had* to
offer Windows once again to get sales back.

And there are millions of Linux machines sold every year. Oddly enough many
of these customers quickly learn that while they were told it works like
Windows, it just isn't Windows. Thus many of them remove Linux and then have
to get their own version of Windows and install it on their EeePCs.

--
Bill
3 Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

BillW50

In news:gjh48p$5dp$(E-Mail Removed),
Richard Bonner typed on Thu, 1 Jan 2009 00:54:49 +0000 (UTC):
> John Doue ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
> (Re: WordPerfect)
>> - ...learning how to use WP up to version 5.1 (the best ever)
>> was challenging at the beginning because of those short cuts (which
>> did not change much up to version 5.1). I know, I was an instructor
>> for some time of 5.1. So the learning curve was a little
>> intimidating at first, but once the initial fears went away, people
>> loved the cleanliness of WP and it power. That was lost after 5.1,
>> no denying.

> *** I like it because I don't have to use (*&)@##% toolbars that
> make me keep having to remove my hands from what I am typing to reach
> for a desk rodent to click some little picture at the top of the
> screen.

Nonsense! WP forces you to take your hands off of the home row to use the
function keys. What a bunch of nonsense. WordStar doesn't force you to do
this. Neither does Word for Windows either. As you can use both WordStar and
Word with the use of ALT and CTRL key combinations.

>> I believe that companies which behave a minimum of honesty, respect
>> and dignity stand a better chance, if they are expertly managed, to
>> survive than predators.
>> --
>> John Doue

> *** Not unless the predators are taken down. The honest and ethical
> can never compete with the dishonest and unethical unless they have
> more money and resources.

Nonsense! You and others want to take our liberty and freedoms away. That is
totally dictatorship. If you harm millions of people, I feel you should be
sent to jail for life to pay for your crimes.

--
Bill
3 Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
2 Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 1GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
Windows XP SP2 ~ Xandros Linux

BillW50

In news:gjh371$5dp$(E-Mail Removed),
Richard Bonner typed on Thu, 1 Jan 2009 00:36:49 +0000 (UTC):
> BillW50 ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
>
>> Richard Bonner wrote on Wed, 10 Dec 2008 19:39:43 +0000 (UTC):
>>> *** Microsoft in
>>> the past has been guilty of bullying competitors out of the market,
>>> and guilty of putting things into their products to mess up other
>>> operating systems. I would prefer real and honest competition.

>> That is because the competitors has done it to Microsoft. So are you
>> the type who believes people and companies has no right to defend
>> themselves?

> *** Not at all, but when defense turns to outright offense at the
> expense of competition and the consumer, then I don't agree.

Bull! Apple bullied its way! IBM bullied its way! Even Beta recorders
bullied its way, and it doesn't work. What works is supply and demand!

>> Also zillions of companies owes their very existence to what
>> Microsoft has created. And if MS didn't battle it out with IBM, we
>> all would be using IBM made computers and running IBM made software.
>> And there would be nobody else around except perhaps Apple.

> *** You can't predict that. However, since IBM was not the only game
> before, I can't see it being the only game in your scenario.

Sure I can! I saw the internal IBM video of their plans. They wanted OS/2 to
take over as the main OS for PCs and then they were going to tweak it to
only work on true IBM machines only. It is in IBM's own internal video!

>> Well Apple would
>> be gone too since Microsoft gave Apple money to stay in business, but
>> you know IBM wouldn't do that for Apple.

> *** Microsoft *had* to do that. If they hadn't, they would have been
> broken up, as was ATT, because of anti-monopoly laws.

Nonsense! It was because MS liked Apple and disliked IBM.

>> So how many other competitors
>> do you know that will give you money to stay in business? Nowadays
>> Bill Gates is giving billions of dollars away to help people.
>> --
>> Bill

> *** You mean just like the crime boss gives candy to all the
> neighbourhood kids? Of course, the money to buy that candy was
> extorted from their parents.

Nonsense! If that were true, there would be no other OS around. There are
plenty of OS out there. The problem is the masses doesn't like them. Plain
and simple! Just because you like DOS doesn't mean the masses has to like it
too. DOS didn't appeal to consumers. I know, I was there when DOS was the
standard. Most people just didn't like it at all.

--

BillW50 wrote:
> In news:gjh371$5dp$(E-Mail Removed),
> Richard Bonner typed on Thu, 1 Jan 2009 00:36:49 +0000 (UTC):
>> BillW50 ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:

>>> That is because the competitors has done it to Microsoft. So are you
>>> the type who believes people and companies has no right to defend
>>> themselves?

>> *** Not at all, but when defense turns to outright offense at the
>> expense of competition and the consumer, then I don't agree.

> Bull! Apple bullied its way! IBM bullied its way! Even Beta recorders
> bullied its way, and it doesn't work. What works is supply and demand!
>
>>> Also zillions of companies owes their very existence to what
>>> Microsoft has created. And if MS didn't battle it out with IBM, we
>>> all would be using IBM made computers and running IBM made software.
>>> And there would be nobody else around except perhaps Apple.

>> *** You can't predict that. However, since IBM was not the only game
>> before, I can't see it being the only game in your scenario.

> Sure I can! I saw the internal IBM video of their plans. They wanted OS/2 to
> take over as the main OS for PCs and then they were going to tweak it to
> only work on true IBM machines only. It is in IBM's own internal video!
>
>>> Well Apple would
>>> be gone too since Microsoft gave Apple money to stay in business, but
>>> you know IBM wouldn't do that for Apple.

>> *** Microsoft *had* to do that. If they hadn't, they would have been
>> broken up, as was ATT, because of anti-monopoly laws.

> Nonsense! It was because MS liked Apple and disliked IBM.
>
>>> So how many other competitors
>>> do you know that will give you money to stay in business? Nowadays
>>> Bill Gates is giving billions of dollars away to help people.
>>> --
>>> Bill

>> *** You mean just like the crime boss gives candy to all the
>> neighbourhood kids? Of course, the money to buy that candy was
>> extorted from their parents.

> Nonsense! If that were true, there would be no other OS around. There are
> plenty of OS out there. The problem is the masses doesn't like them. Plain
> and simple! Just because you like DOS doesn't mean the masses has to like it
> too. DOS didn't appeal to consumers. I know, I was there when DOS was the
> standard. Most people just didn't like it at all.

Bill,

May be you have been asleep for some weeks and are just waking up, but
this thread seems exhausted to me now ...

We have started 2009 already here ... 8 hours or 9 ahead of you. Time to
catch up!

Best wishes

--
John Doue

BillW50

In news:aP97l.201$(E-Mail Removed),
John Doue typed on Thu, 01 Jan 2009 20:36:22 GMT:
> Bill,
>
> May be you have been asleep for some weeks and are just waking up, but
> this thread seems exhausted to me now ...
>
> We have started 2009 already here ... 8 hours or 9 ahead of you. Time
> to catch up!
>
> Best wishes

Hi John! Soory, but talk to Richard Bonner about his new eight posts for
the New Year.

Best wishes.

--

BillW50 wrote:
> In news:aP97l.201$(E-Mail Removed),
> John Doue typed on Thu, 01 Jan 2009 20:36:22 GMT:
>> Bill,
>>
>> May be you have been asleep for some weeks and are just waking up, but
>> this thread seems exhausted to me now ...
>>
>> We have started 2009 already here ... 8 hours or 9 ahead of you. Time
>> to catch up!
>>
>> Best wishes

> Hi John! Soory, but talk to Richard Bonner about his new eight posts for
> the New Year.
>
> Best wishes.

I just ignored them ...

--
John Doue

Jacques Clouseau

BillW50 wrote:
> Richard Bonner wrote on Wed, 10 Dec 2008 19:39:43 +0000 (UTC):
>> BillW50 ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:

>>> No, you need VirtualPC and not worry about drivers with older
>>> versions. All you need to do is to use your head. Simple eh?

>>> I just ran Ubuntu Eee 8.04.1 here last night and when I switched back
>>> to Windows XP, the registry was corrupt and the desktop was all
>>> screwed up. I thought that was strange and I restored it with ERUNT.

>>> Ran Ubuntu again and shut it down and ran Windows again. And guess
>>> what? Ubuntu corrupted the Windows registry once again. I did this a
>>> third time and the same thing.

>>> It is my belief that Microsoft is number one because their
>>> competitors are evil and stupid. I've seen this go on for decades.
>>> And Microsoft would have been taken out long ago except for this
>>> issue that befalls their competitors.
>>> --
>>> Bill

>> *** I won't argue against your opinion except to say that Microsoft in
>> the past has been guilty of bullying competitors out of the market, and
>> guilty of putting things into their products to mess up other operating
>> systems. I would prefer real and honest competition.

> That is because the competitors has done it to Microsoft. So are you the
> type who believes people and companies has no right to defend
> themselves? Also zillions of companies owes their very existence to what
> Microsoft has created. And if MS didn't battle it out with IBM, we all
> would be using IBM made computers and running IBM made software. And
> there would be nobody else around except perhaps Apple. Well Apple would
> be gone too since Microsoft gave Apple money to stay in business, but
> you know IBM wouldn't do that for Apple. So how many other competitors
> do you know that will give you money to stay in business? Nowadays Bill
> Gates is giving billions of dollars away to help people.

Sorry to have to tell you, but you're an idiot.

Jacques Clouseau

BillW50 wrote:
> [...]

> somebody else, be my guest. And they will never be there when you need them
> in the future. As they used the high price you paid to buy yachts, etc. and
> then retire. And they never cared about you before or after the sale. Gates
> has been the least greedy company I have ever dealt with. And unlike other
> companies, they haven't taken my money and closed up shop either like so
> many others have.
>
>> The ball stopped rolling first with Millenium and then, for good, after
>> XP; and it looks like 7 will be very short on actual innovations,
>> innovations that will make our life easier. Vista has been a major major
>> failure. MS did not see coming Google, nor Yahoo. MS just has full coffers
>> and is now trying to buy what it was not smart enough to create and could
>> not put its hands on.

> This is how things work when you are not a monopoly. Why people claim they
> are just baffles me. MS doesn't have a gun to my head (nor anybody's else
> either) and says I must buy Windows ME or Vista. That isn't so at all and I
> don't own those products either. If I don't like them, I don't buy them. End
> of story.
>
>> I am glad B. Gates now gives lots of money for other people's benefit
>> but nobody can tell where we would be without this guy. Cemeteries are
>> full of indispensible people. This guy has unfairly stiffled
>> competition for at least a decade, put in place a monopoly only the
>> EU has really dared fight (with a relatively limited success) - and
>> his vision has become shortsighted.

> Not so! MS was attacked and fought back. If somebody attacked you, I
> wouldn't blame you if you defended yourself as well. As I believe this is
> your right.
>
> As for the EU, what I bunch of bozos. I sure like to sue and hang their
> necks. You know what those clowns did? They claimed that Microsoft was a
> monopoly and made MS to sell Windows without the Media Player and charged MS
> like 1/2 billion dollars. And you know what? This special version was
> available and only about 1800 ever wanted a copy of it. So it cost us
> consumers about 500 million dollars for this nonsense. The EU are nothing
> more than corrupt bloody thieves, no question about it. They saw an easy way
> to steal our money and they had taken it. Remember MS passes their cost
> (just like any other company) on to us consumers.
>
>> I for one am very disappointed nobody has managed to make a user
>> friendly OS out of Linux. Linux would have needed someone with some
>> (and only some) of the qualities of Bill Gates. Then, our lives today
>> really might be different.

> There have been many OS! The problem is making a user friendly OS isn't easy
> and the only ones who has made it work on the PC at least has been MS. The
> door is open for anybody else to do so. Problem is, nobody can as of yet.
>
>> No offense meant, of course!

> None taken and hopefully neither have you.

Earlier I said that you were an idiot. I take that back. You're a huge
freaking idiot.

BillW50

In news:gjrhb1$ju2$(E-Mail Removed),
Jacques Clouseau typed on Sun, 04 Jan 2009 18:39:13 -0500:
> BillW50 wrote:
>> Richard Bonner wrote on Wed, 10 Dec 2008 19:39:43 +0000 (UTC):

>>> *** I won't argue against your opinion except to say that
>>> Microsoft in the past has been guilty of bullying competitors out
>>> of the market, and guilty of putting things into their products to
>>> mess up other operating systems. I would prefer real and honest
>>> competition.

>> That is because the competitors has done it to Microsoft. So are you
>> the type who believes people and companies has no right to defend
>> themselves? Also zillions of companies owes their very existence to
>> what Microsoft has created. And if MS didn't battle it out with IBM,
>> we all would be using IBM made computers and running IBM made
>> software. And there would be nobody else around except perhaps
>> Apple. Well Apple would be gone too since Microsoft gave Apple money
>> to stay in business, but you know IBM wouldn't do that for Apple. So
>> how many other competitors do you know that will give you money to
>> stay in business? Nowadays Bill Gates is giving billions of dollars
>> away to help people.

> Sorry to have to tell you, but you're an idiot.

I can call you names too. But that is no sign of intelligence, now is it? I
suggest you say something solid to refute my claim or continue to look
unintelligent. The choice is up to you.

--
Bill
2 Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2
3 Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
2 Asus EEE PC 702G8 ~ 1GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC
Windows XP SP2 ~ Xandros Linux - Puppy - Ubuntu

BillW50

In news:gjrhhc$ju2$(E-Mail Removed),
Jacques Clouseau typed on Sun, 04 Jan 2009 18:42:36 -0500:

Name calling is the best of have? lol