BE-7 Won't boot with 800MHz. FSB

Colon Terminus

Based on info gleaned from this NG, I purchased a P4 3.0C Processor for my
BE-7 Raid. No go. It won't POST with the bus set to 200. It'll POST at 195,
but fails to detect the boot HD. It'll boot to Windows at 180, maybe higher,
I'll try later.

I'm not complaining or looking for advice, just sharing information that may
be of value to some.

Currently:
Ext. Clock 180/66/33
PCI Bus 33MHz. (Fixed)
Multiplier Factor 15
DRAM Ratio H/W Strap HIGH
DRAM Ratio (CPURAM) 1:1
Core Voltage Std. Vcore (I tried 'em all)
DRAM Voltage 2.6

Boot drive is 250GB Hitachi on IDE0
RAID 1 is 2 X 250GB Hitachi on HPT 372 Primary
RAID 2 is 2 X 250GB Hitachi on HPT 372 Secondary

BIOS is DP

Lewis

Colon Terminus wrote:

>Based on info gleaned from this NG, I purchased a P4 3.0C Processor for my
>BE-7 Raid. No go. It won't POST with the bus set to 200. It'll POST at 195,
>but fails to detect the boot HD. It'll boot to Windows at 180, maybe higher,
>I'll try later.
>
>I'm not complaining or looking for advice, just sharing information that may
>be of value to some.
>
>Currently:
>Ext. Clock 180/66/33
>PCI Bus 33MHz. (Fixed)
>Multiplier Factor 15
>DRAM Ratio H/W Strap HIGH
>DRAM Ratio (CPURAM) 1:1
>Core Voltage Std. Vcore (I tried 'em all)
>DRAM Voltage 2.6
>
>Boot drive is 250GB Hitachi on IDE0
>RAID 1 is 2 X 250GB Hitachi on HPT 372 Primary
>RAID 2 is 2 X 250GB Hitachi on HPT 372 Secondary
>
>BIOS is DP

Hmm Interesting but bad news ? I was preparing myself for same that
upgrade (200 FSB CPU in BE7-RAID) and Richard said he think it must work
normaly ? AFAIK another merber was preparing to this "jump" so now i'm
in dilema.

Are you sure you have Pc3200 RAM (400 Mhz) ? If you had old ram on 333
Mhz it's pretty sure it won't boot on 400 Mhz at CPURAM 1:1 ratio.

P.S. I'd upgrade BIOS to "e7" version which is most recent BIOs version
and it's more than year jounger than dp .
Please update this post if works after that update, thanks.

--
------------ Lewis ----------

http://www.lewis.tomsoft.hr

ICQ : 7128177
-----------------------------

Richard Hopkins

"Colon Terminus" wrote in message...
> Based on info gleaned from this NG, I purchased a P4 3.0C Processor
> for my BE-7 Raid. No go. It won't POST with the bus set to 200.
> It'll POST at 195, but fails to detect the boot HD. It'll boot to
> Windows at 180, maybe higher, I'll try later.

You haven't mentioned what memory you have, but as things stand this is by
far the likeliest cause. Assuming it is PC3200 or faster, try increasing the
DRAM voltage another tenth or two and see what that does. If it doesn't help
much, try dropping the ratio to 4/3. If it works with the memory bus speed
dropped, at least you know.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

R. J. Salvi

Don't have a HD installed yet (maybe this weekend), but with a 2.8C, DDR400
and a vid card, mine posts no problem. fwiw...

--
Robert J. Salvi, Ambiance Acoustics
http://www.ambianceacoustics.com

"Colon Terminus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:l5egd.4107487$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Based on info gleaned from this NG, I purchased a P4 3.0C Processor for my
> BE-7 Raid. No go. It won't POST with the bus set to 200. It'll POST at
> 195,
> but fails to detect the boot HD. It'll boot to Windows at 180, maybe
> higher,
> I'll try later.
>
> I'm not complaining or looking for advice, just sharing information that
> may
> be of value to some.
>
> Currently:
> Ext. Clock 180/66/33
> PCI Bus 33MHz. (Fixed)
> Multiplier Factor 15
> DRAM Ratio H/W Strap HIGH
> DRAM Ratio (CPURAM) 1:1
> Core Voltage Std. Vcore (I tried 'em all)
> DRAM Voltage 2.6
>
> Boot drive is 250GB Hitachi on IDE0
> RAID 1 is 2 X 250GB Hitachi on HPT 372 Primary
> RAID 2 is 2 X 250GB Hitachi on HPT 372 Secondary
>
> BIOS is DP

Colon Terminus

"Richard Hopkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4181830f$0$15430$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Colon Terminus" wrote in message...
> > Based on info gleaned from this NG, I purchased a P4 3.0C Processor
> > for my BE-7 Raid. No go. It won't POST with the bus set to 200.
> > It'll POST at 195, but fails to detect the boot HD. It'll boot to
> > Windows at 180, maybe higher, I'll try later.

> You haven't mentioned what memory you have, but as things stand this is by
> far the likeliest cause. Assuming it is PC3200 or faster, try increasing

the
> DRAM voltage another tenth or two and see what that does. If it doesn't

help
> much, try dropping the ratio to 4/3. If it works with the memory bus speed
> dropped, at least you know.
> --
>

> Richard Hopkins
> Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
> (replace .nospam with .com in reply address)
>
> The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com
> Get the most out of your digital photos www.dabsxpose.com

The RAM is Mushkin PC4000 (DDR500), so that shouldn't be a problem. I've
pushed the RAM voltage up to 2.7, the max for this board, to no avail. This
board previously had a 3.06GHz. processor in it running at 158MHz withthe
H/W strap low and the ratio at 5:4. That put the memory bus well over 200
and it had no problems then.

I will try your suggestion, though, and change the ratio and see if that
helps. I'll also update the BIOS as suggested by Lewis. I'll post back here
with the result.

I also discovered that the machine isn't stable at 180, nor at 175. Right
now it is running at 166 and appears to be stable. It ran memtest for six
hours without failure and right now it is running Prime 95 and seems to be
okay.

Colon Terminus

"Colon Terminus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsZvgd.2056574$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Richard Hopkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4181830f$0$15430$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Colon Terminus" wrote in message...
> > > Based on info gleaned from this NG, I purchased a P4 3.0C Processor
> > > for my BE-7 Raid. No go. It won't POST with the bus set to 200.
> > > It'll POST at 195, but fails to detect the boot HD. It'll boot to
> > > Windows at 180, maybe higher, I'll try later.

> > You haven't mentioned what memory you have, but as things stand this is

by
> > far the likeliest cause. Assuming it is PC3200 or faster, try increasing

> the
> > DRAM voltage another tenth or two and see what that does. If it doesn't

> help
> > much, try dropping the ratio to 4/3. If it works with the memory bus

speed
> > dropped, at least you know.
> > --
> >

> > Richard Hopkins
> > Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
> > (replace .nospam with .com in reply address)
> >
> > The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com
> > Get the most out of your digital photos www.dabsxpose.com
> >

> The RAM is Mushkin PC4000 (DDR500), so that shouldn't be a problem. I've
> pushed the RAM voltage up to 2.7, the max for this board, to no avail.

This
> board previously had a 3.06GHz. processor in it running at 158MHz withthe
> H/W strap low and the ratio at 5:4. That put the memory bus well over 200
> and it had no problems then.
>
> I will try your suggestion, though, and change the ratio and see if that
> helps. I'll also update the BIOS as suggested by Lewis. I'll post back

here
> with the result.
>
> I also discovered that the machine isn't stable at 180, nor at 175. Right
> now it is running at 166 and appears to be stable. It ran memtest for six
> hours without failure and right now it is running Prime 95 and seems to be
> okay.

BIOS upgrade didn't help.
Setting the DRAM ratio to 4:3 didn't help.
The highest stable bus speed attainable is 171.

The CPU and RAM when moved to an i875 chipset board run stable at 220MHz.

There's just something about this particular BE-7 RAID board that won't
allow it to run above 171MHz.
I guess that all BE-7's aren't created equal.

Lewis

R. J. Salvi wrote:

>Don't have a HD installed yet (maybe this weekend), but with a 2.8C, DDR400
>and a vid card, mine posts no problem. fwiw...

Interesting. I also planed to put 800FSB but not prescot so it might
work fine with northwood. What bios you use ?

--
------------ Lewis ----------

http://www.lewis.tomsoft.hr

ICQ : 7128177
-----------------------------

R. J. Salvi

"Colon Terminus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:49Agd.2066256$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Colon Terminus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsZvgd.2056574$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Richard Hopkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4181830f$0$15430$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >
>> > You haven't mentioned what memory you have, but as things stand this is

> by
>> > far the likeliest cause. Assuming it is PC3200 or faster, try
>> > increasing

>> the
>> > DRAM voltage another tenth or two and see what that does. If it doesn't

>> help
>> > much, try dropping the ratio to 4/3. If it works with the memory bus

> speed
>> > dropped, at least you know.
>> > --
>> >

>> > Richard Hopkins
>> > Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
>> > (replace .nospam with .com in reply address)
>> >
>> > The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com
>> > Get the most out of your digital photos www.dabsxpose.com
>> >

>> The RAM is Mushkin PC4000 (DDR500), so that shouldn't be a problem. I've
>> pushed the RAM voltage up to 2.7, the max for this board, to no avail.

> This
>> board previously had a 3.06GHz. processor in it running at 158MHz withthe
>> H/W strap low and the ratio at 5:4. That put the memory bus well over 200
>> and it had no problems then.
>>
>> I will try your suggestion, though, and change the ratio and see if that
>> helps. I'll also update the BIOS as suggested by Lewis. I'll post back

> here
>> with the result.
>>
>> I also discovered that the machine isn't stable at 180, nor at 175. Right
>> now it is running at 166 and appears to be stable. It ran memtest for six
>> hours without failure and right now it is running Prime 95 and seems to
>> be
>> okay.
>>

> BIOS upgrade didn't help.
> Setting the DRAM ratio to 4:3 didn't help.
> The highest stable bus speed attainable is 171.
>
> The CPU and RAM when moved to an i875 chipset board run stable at 220MHz.
>
> There's just something about this particular BE-7 RAID board that won't
> allow it to run above 171MHz.
> I guess that all BE-7's aren't created equal.

What's your PSU rated at? Although the 3.06B/533 and the 3.0C/800 have
virtually the same current draw, I suspect the 800MHz bus has significantly
increased the load on your PSU. IIRC, you have 5 drives (includes 2 RAID
arrays)?

--
Robert J. Salvi, Ambiance Acoustics
http://www.ambianceacoustics.com
San Diego, CA USA
(858) 485-7514

R. J. Salvi

"Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:clujuv$6it$(E-Mail Removed)...
> R. J. Salvi wrote:
>
>>Don't have a HD installed yet (maybe this weekend), but with a 2.8C,
>>DDR400 and a vid card, mine posts no problem. fwiw...
>>

> Interesting. I also planed to put 800FSB but not prescot so it might work
> fine with northwood. What bios you use ?

DP
--

> There's just something about this particular BE-7 RAID board
> that won't allow it to run above 171MHz.
> I guess that all BE-7's aren't created equal.

I believe there's only one rev of BE7, although it seems there are a couple
of board designs used across the different BE7-G, BE7-RAID, BE7-V and so-on.

Robert has stolen the words out of my mouth. When you tried the CPU and
memory in the 875 based motherboard, did you also transfer the PSU over?