755-A2 DVD Drive Connection

Jim

755-A2 motherboard
1 Sata drive
1 DVD RW drive

Should the DVD drive be installed in IDE2 or IDE1? Does it matter?

I presume the DVD should be set as "master".

Thanks,
Jim

mmiserus@xs4all.nl.invalid

Hello,

On 11 Aug 2005 04:30:03 -0700, "Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>755-A2 motherboard
>1 Sata drive
>1 DVD RW drive
>
>Should the DVD drive be installed in IDE2 or IDE1? Does it matter?

It does matter as far as I know. Put the harddisc on ide1 as 'single
master' and do the same with dvd-drive (secondary single master) but
then on ide2 just to be sure that they do not hinder each other,
although on a modern motherboard that will not be the case.

Only if you are short of irq's you should put them together on ide1,
hd as master and dvd-drive as slave.

Do not forget to jumper the drives in the right way and if your
dvd-drive can do '66' (udma) then it needs a 40-pin 80-conductor
cable.

>I presume the DVD should be set as "master".

Is it a writer or only a player?
If writer then it should preferably be jumpered as a master (so not be
with the hd on ide1)

>Thanks,
>Jim

Max M.

Jim

Thanks for the reply.

I just fired it up for the first time with Linux.

It seem to work with the DVD (writer) on IDE2 and the SATA in the SATA1
port.

Regards,
Jim