7900GT dying?

Inkspot

Recently got a 7900GT, its a basic generic version running at stock
speeds with bog standard heat sink.

Its been running fine the last 3 weeks or so until this weekend where I
can't get the damn thing to run any 3D game for more than 5-20 minutes.

Usually it just crashes to desktop with a GPF but occasionally it BSOD
with looping sound. I'm not getting any artifacting like many others
with dodgy 7900GT seem to report but its starting to get extremely annoying.

The card does run hot idling at around 56-60C and underload upto about
75, these temperatures havent changed since when I was having no problem
so I cant understand why the sudden instability.

PSU is a 460W Akasa and system is 100% rock solid in 2D apps.

As this is the only PCI-E card I have I'm a a bit loathe to RMA it, but
equally I cant put up with this much longer.

Any ideas or should I RMA it?

Clint

I had the same sort of issues with a 7600GT, and ended up taking it back to
the place I got it from to exchange it for an ATI card. It too didn't have
abnormally high temps, but my understanding is that it's not just the GPU
that can overheat. Other components on the PCB are also affected, and
there's no way to monitor their temperature.

15 minutes after getting my new card home, I was back in Oblivion, with nary
a lockup or BSOD in site. Well, besides the known blowing up as you exit
the game and stuff...

I'd send it back.

Clint

"Inkspot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44890fe3$0$15931$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Recently got a 7900GT, its a basic generic version running at stock speeds
> with bog standard heat sink.
>
> Its been running fine the last 3 weeks or so until this weekend where I
> can't get the damn thing to run any 3D game for more than 5-20 minutes.
>
> Usually it just crashes to desktop with a GPF but occasionally it BSOD
> with looping sound. I'm not getting any artifacting like many others with
> dodgy 7900GT seem to report but its starting to get extremely annoying.
>
> The card does run hot idling at around 56-60C and underload upto about 75,
> these temperatures havent changed since when I was having no problem so I
> cant understand why the sudden instability.
>
> PSU is a 460W Akasa and system is 100% rock solid in 2D apps.
>
> As this is the only PCI-E card I have I'm a a bit loathe to RMA it, but
> equally I cant put up with this much longer.
>

> Any ideas or should I RMA it?

Mangyrat

RMA it

"Inkspot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44890fe3$0$15931$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Recently got a 7900GT, its a basic generic version running at stock speeds
> with bog standard heat sink.
>
> Its been running fine the last 3 weeks or so until this weekend where I
> can't get the damn thing to run any 3D game for more than 5-20 minutes.
>
> Usually it just crashes to desktop with a GPF but occasionally it BSOD
> with looping sound. I'm not getting any artifacting like many others with
> dodgy 7900GT seem to report but its starting to get extremely annoying.
>
> The card does run hot idling at around 56-60C and underload upto about 75,
> these temperatures havent changed since when I was having no problem so I
> cant understand why the sudden instability.
>
> PSU is a 460W Akasa and system is 100% rock solid in 2D apps.
>
> As this is the only PCI-E card I have I'm a a bit loathe to RMA it, but
> equally I cant put up with this much longer.
>

> Any ideas or should I RMA it?

First of One

I believe that bug was fixed in the 1.1 beta patch. :-)

"Clint" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> 15 minutes after getting my new card home, I was back in Oblivion, with
> nary a lockup or BSOD in site. Well, besides the known blowing up as you
> exit the game and stuff...

Clint

I'm running the beta patch now, and it's not fixed. One of these days, I'll
try to full patch (non-beta); see if they've fixed it there.

Clint

"First of One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>I believe that bug was fixed in the 1.1 beta patch. :-)
>
> --
>
> "Clint" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> 15 minutes after getting my new card home, I was back in Oblivion, with
>> nary a lockup or BSOD in site. Well, besides the known blowing up as you
>> exit the game and stuff...

First of One

I'm also running the 1.1 beta patch, and it DID fix the error on exit. I'm
running an X1900, though, that may be the difference.

eVGA 7900GT Advice jw@urban-exposure.com ATI 7 04-26-2006 03:56 AM
Windows XP home not working with A8N-E/7900GT stephen@theboulets.net Asus 10 03-26-2006 01:07 AM
When is the 7900GT out? johns Nvidia 8 03-09-2006 09:41 PM
GeForce 7900GT (G71) Specs, Picture NV55 Nvidia 3 02-28-2006 04:12 AM
GeForce 7900GT (G71) Specs, Picture NV55 ATI 3 02-28-2006 04:12 AM