7NJL6 no-post problem

kmansj

I bought the 7NJL6 + AXP2900 from TigerDirect; sat down last night to
build it, and got a no-post. Fans spin, CPU fan spins, hard drives
spin up, but no beep, and no graphics out. Also, the heatsink doesnít
seem to get warm.

So I popped the new CPU back into my old motherboard, and voila, it
works fine. Graphics card & memory all check out on the old board. I
tried my old memory stick, which works fine in the old board, and
still nothing. I tried it with bare minimum stuff (memory, cpu/hs,
graphics card), and still no beep. Hereís my deal:
AXP2900 Barton 400MHz FSB (also tried my old AXP2000)
512MB Kingmax DDR400 (also tried 512MB stick of known-good PC2100)
in Slot 1
GF5900XT
Enermax 350W PS

Any ideas? I was wondering about clearing CMOS. I notice that near
the JP1 jumper, JP(23?) right next to it has a green thingy on the 1-2
pins. But the manual makes no mention of this. What is the function,
and should it be connected like that? I tried clearing the CMOS
(didnít remove the battery -- should I?), but no effect.

Are there any known sensitivities to how the front panel connections
are made? The power switch seems to work, and the LEDs too. Does
this system require keyboard to get to POST? Any connections other
than main power & front panel that I would have to make?

Iíd be grateful for any pointers.
Kman

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chaint...pict57641.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=290554

fazzina

"kmansj" wrote:
> I bought the 7NJL6 + AXP2900 from TigerDirect; sat down last
> night to build it, and got a no-post. Fans spin, CPU fan
> spins, hard drives spin up, but no beep, and no graphics out.
> Also, the heatsink doesn't seem to get warm.
>
> So I popped the new CPU back into my old motherboard, and
> voila, it works fine. Graphics card & memory all check out on
> the old board. I tried my old memory stick, which works fine
> in the old board, and still nothing. I tried it with bare
> minimum stuff (memory, cpu/hs, graphics card), and still no
> beep. Here's my deal:
> AXP2900 Barton 400MHz FSB (also tried my old AXP2000)
> 512MB Kingmax DDR400 (also tried 512MB stick of known-good
> PC2100) in Slot 1
> GF5900XT
> Enermax 350W PS
>
> Any ideas? I was wondering about clearing CMOS. I notice
> that near the JP1 jumper, JP(23?) right next to it has a green
> thingy on the 1-2 pins. But the manual makes no mention of
> this. What is the function, and should it be connected like
> that? I tried clearing the CMOS (didn't remove the battery --
> should I?), but no effect.
>
> Are there any known sensitivities to how the front panel
> connections are made? The power switch seems to work, and the
> LEDs too. Does this system require keyboard to get to POST?
> Any connections other than main power & front panel that I
> would have to make?
>
> I'd be grateful for any pointers.
> Kman

Hi,

Iíve got a similar problem. Iíve got a 7NJL6 Motherboard (w/ AXP3000)
is. After carefully building my computer (also purchased from tiger
direct) I have the following behavior: after turning the computer on,
it runs for about 3 seconds then shuts off. Iíve double checked my
cabling and jumpers, reseated the heat sink. The good news is that the
PS fan and the processor fan come on, also the HD and CDR get power.
One interesting note is that if I remove the RAM, the computer makes 1
beep before turning off. Another interesting point is that if I set
the jumper to run with 100Mhz for the RAM, it runs for about 10
seconds before crapping out. I started disconnecting and removing all
of the peripherals (Video card, HD, CDR, keyboard and mouse and I
still get the exact same behavior. Hereís what I think is going on: (I
think that the CPU begins POST because it beeps when the the RAM is
not there... but it never gets far enough along to start looking on
the PCI bus for peripherials.)

I would greatly appreciate any advice on this subject.

Thanks in advance,
Paul Fazzina

uddarts

"kmansj" wrote:
>I bought the 7NJL6 + AXP2900 from TigerDirect; sat down last night

>build it, and got a no-post. Fans spin, CPU fan spins, hard drives
>spin up, but no beep, and no graphics out. Also, the heatsink
>doesnít seem to get warm.
>
>So I popped the new CPU back into my old motherboard, and voila, it
>works fine. Graphics card & memory all check out on the old board.

>tried my old memory stick, which works fine in the old board, and
>still nothing. I tried it with bare minimum stuff (memory, cpu/hs,
>graphics card), and still no beep. Hereís my deal:
> AXP2900 Barton 400MHz FSB (also tried my old AXP2000)
> 512MB Kingmax DDR400 (also tried 512MB stick of known-good PC2100)
>in Slot 1
> GF5900XT
> Enermax 350W PS
>
>Any ideas? I was wondering about clearing CMOS. I notice that near
>the JP1 jumper, JP(23?) right next to it has a green thingy on the

1-2
>pins. But the manual makes no mention of this. What is the

function,
>and should it be connected like that? I tried clearing the CMOS
>(didnít remove the battery -- should I?), but no effect.
>
>Are there any known sensitivities to how the front panel connections
>are made? The power switch seems to work, and the LEDs too. Does
>this system require keyboard to get to POST? Any connections other
>than main power & front panel that I would have to make?
>
>Iíd be grateful for any pointers.
>Kman

youíve done everything i would normally suggest. do clear the cmos.
how old is the psu? iíd try another one then think rma back to
tigerdirect.

ud

uddarts

"fazzina" wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Iíve got a similar problem. Iíve got a 7NJL6 Motherboard
>(w/ AXP3000) is. After carefully building my computer (also purchased
>from tiger direct) I have the following behavior: after turning the
>computer on, it runs for about 3 seconds then shuts off. Iíve
>double checked my cabling and jumpers, reseated the heat sink. The
>good news is that the PS fan and the processor fan come on, also the
>HD and CDR get power. One interesting note is that if I remove the
>RAM, the computer makes 1 beep before turning off. Another

interesting
>point is that if I set the jumper to run with 100Mhz for the RAM, it
>runs for about 10 seconds before crapping out. I started

disconnecting
>and removing all of the peripherals (Video card, HD, CDR, keyboard

and
>mouse and I still get the exact same behavior. Hereís what I
>think is going on: (I think that the CPU begins POST because it beeps
>when the the RAM is not there... but it never gets far enough along
>to start looking on the PCI bus for peripherials.)
>
>I would greatly appreciate any advice on this subject.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Paul Fazzina

you donít mention what psu you have. i think thatís your problem. what
vid card are you trying to run with the new setup? try doing what
kmansj did. try booting with just the cpu, hs/fan, mem and vid card.

ud

kmansj

"uddarts" wrote:
> [quote:9abed54dd7="fazzina"]Hi,
>
> I've got a similar problem. I've got a 7NJL6 Motherboard (w/
> AXP3000) is. After carefully building my computer (also
> purchased from tiger direct) I have the following behavior:
> after turning the computer on, it runs for about 3 seconds
> then shuts off. I've double checked my cabling and jumpers,
> reseated the heat sink. The good news is that the PS fan and
> the processor fan come on, also the HD and CDR get power. One
> interesting note is that if I remove the RAM, the computer
> makes 1 beep before turning off. Another interesting point is
> that if I set the jumper to run with 100Mhz for the RAM, it
> runs for about 10 seconds before crapping out. I started
> disconnecting and removing all of the peripherals (Video card,
> HD, CDR, keyboard and mouse and I still get the exact same
> behavior. Here's what I think is going on: (I think that the
> CPU begins POST because it beeps when the the RAM is not
> there... but it never gets far enough along to start looking
> on the PCI bus for peripherials.)
>
> I would greatly appreciate any advice on this subject.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Paul Fazzina[/quote:9abed54dd7]
>
> you don't mention what psu you have. i think that's your
> problem. what vid card are you trying to run with the new
> setup? try doing what kmansj did. try booting with just the
> cpu, hs/fan, mem and vid card.
>

> ud

Yeah, I cleared the CMOS, but it looks like an RMA in in order. Only
problem is, TigerDirect requires me to get a special "manufacturer
defect code" or something from Chaintech, in order to give me an RMA
number. Chaintech hasnít responded to me yet. And in the meantime,
my rebate period is ticking down ....... grrrrrr.......

Thanks for the reply.

Regards,
Kman

uddarts

"kmansj" wrote:
> Yeah, I cleared the CMOS, but it looks like an RMA in in
> order. Only problem is, TigerDirect requires me to get a
> special "manufacturer defect code" or something from
> Chaintech, in order to give me an RMA number. Chaintech
> hasn't responded to me yet. And in the meantime, my rebate
> period is ticking down ....... grrrrrr.......
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Regards,
> Kman

give chaintech 2 business days to respond. let me know if you donít
hear back from them. there are actual people at the other end of the
internet connection.

i bought a 7nif4 over memorial day weekend with a similar rebate deal.
i noticed that stipulation. at least chaintech appears to doing it in
house. i would think they want to build a loyal customer base and not
be like a rebate clearing house trying to make an extra buck.

while your waiting, can you get hold of a digital volt meter. since
your board spins up you can check the 12v line to make sure itís ok.
you can also try removing the board from the case and try starting it
up outside on a nonconductive surface. it would be a lot easier to
cover all the bases now than to find the same problem a week or so
from now.

ud

fazzina

"uddarts" wrote:
> give chaintech 2 business days to respond. let me know if you
> don't hear back from them. there are actual people at the
> other end of the internet connection.
>
> i bought a 7nif4 over memorial day weekend with a similar
> rebate deal. i noticed that stipulation. at least chaintech
> appears to doing it in house. i would think they want to build
> a loyal customer base and not be like a rebate clearing house
> trying to make an extra buck.
>
> while your waiting, can you get hold of a digital volt meter.
> since your board spins up you can check the 12v line to make
> sure it's ok. you can also try removing the board from the
> case and try starting it up outside on a nonconductive
> surface. it would be a lot easier to cover all the bases now
> than to find the same problem a week or so from now.
>

> ud

Follow up. It turns out that my problem was thermal. I didnít have a
good contact between the processor and the heat sink. I used "Heat
Sink Compound" from Radio Shack and it worked well. I still have a
couple of little things to get past:

1) I have to set J3 to the slow bus speed (100Mhz) or the processor
still overheats.

2) Iím getting a SESSION3_INITIALIZATION_FAILED error when I try to
install XP home edition. From what Iíve read on the web, this is most
likely a missing file problem (some essential file needed to do the
install could not be found).

Comments and advice always appreciated.

Paul

uddarts

"fazzina" wrote:
> Follow up. It turns out that my problem was thermal. I didn't
> have a good contact between the processor and the heat sink. I
> used "Heat Sink Compound" from Radio Shack and it worked well.
> I still have a couple of little things to get past:
>
> 1) I have to set J3 to the slow bus speed (100Mhz) or the
> processor still overheats.
>
> 2) I'm getting a SESSION3_INITIALIZATION_FAILED error when I
> try to install XP home edition. From what I've read on the
> web, this is most likely a missing file problem (some
> essential file needed to do the install could not be found).
>
> Comments and advice always appreciated.
>
> Paul

ok good to hear. no sitting around waiting for a rma and then the same
problem.

info needed: does your board have temp and voltage sensors? they would
be viewable in the bios under pc health. what are they? temp, 3.3, 5 &
12volt.

hardware: sata or ide harddrive? memory brand, speed, number of sticks
and amount of ram? what heatsink and fan?

back to you!

ud

fazzina

"uddarts" wrote:
> ok good to hear. no sitting around waiting for a rma and then
> the same problem.
>
> info needed: does your board have temp and voltage sensors?
> they would be viewable in the bios under pc health. what are
> they? temp, 3.3, 5 & 12volt.
>
> hardware: sata or ide harddrive? memory brand, speed, number
> of sticks and amount of ram? what heatsink and fan?
>

> back to you!
>
> ud

Hi,

Canít tell you about the sensor stuff now because Iím at home and the
computerís at work but I can give you a list of the whats in my box:

Ultra Copper basefan XP 3000+
Ultra 512MB pc3200 DDR 400Mhz
Maxtor 120GB EIDE HD 5400/2MB/ATA-133
ASUS CD-S520 CD ROM 52X
ChainTech GeForce MX4000 64MB AGP
cheap mouse & keyboard
Just4PC ATA 747 Black Mid Tower w/425W PS

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Paul

uddarts

"fazzina" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can't tell you about the sensor stuff now because I'm at home
> and the computer's at work but I can give you a list of the
> whats in my box:
>
> Ultra Copper basefan XP 3000+
> Ultra 512MB pc3200 DDR 400Mhz
> Maxtor 120GB EIDE HD 5400/2MB/ATA-133
> ASUS CD-S520 CD ROM 52X
> ChainTech GeForce MX4000 64MB AGP
> cheap mouse & keyboard
> Just4PC ATA 747 Black Mid Tower w/425W PS
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Best Regards,
> Paul

it helps a little. i was able to get a pic shot of the psu. it lists
the 12 volt line as 12amps. the not booting at 166 and the fact that
xp is struggling to load makes it suspect. do you have or have access
to a digital multimeter? digital multimeters can be had for $15 at
your local hardware, walmart, etc. i have a feeling that your board
doesnít have sensors for temps and voltages.

the 512m ram, 1 or 2 sticks?

ud

7NJL6 and SATA HD problem Bydesignprez Chaintech 1 12-28-2006 03:03 PM
Odd problem with 7NJL6 tdizzle Chaintech 1 03-28-2006 12:33 AM
Problem with Chaintech 7NJL6 - startsup and then dies parm Chaintech 12 07-09-2005 07:36 PM
Another 7NJL6 Problem Guts Chaintech 3 07-07-2005 12:36 AM
Re: 7NJL6 Problem James Bond Chaintech 0 06-13-2005 07:03 PM