7VJL Apogee how too O/C XP2400?

It's not me!

I have run my pc at mem 166 cpu 150 and booted into linux ok. so I
think i am able to over clock this chip pretty good. I do not want to
have my pci spec so far out though. How do you unlock the multipliers?

I though all xp2400 were factory unlocked? I have tried all the cpu
ratio multipliers in bios, having read that some boards will allow
setting like 6x = 14x or so to get lower multipliers to allow me to
run cpu and memory both at 166 at a usable mhz that the cpu can
handle.
This board seems to reject any attempts at changing the multiplier.
What am I doing wrong?

Wes Newell

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 15:35:11 -0500, It's not me! wrote:

> I have run my pc at mem 166 cpu 150 and booted into linux ok. so I
> think i am able to over clock this chip pretty good. I do not want to
> have my pci spec so far out though. How do you unlock the multipliers?

AMD started internally locking all Athlon CPU's about the 39th week of
2003.

> I though all xp2400 were factory unlocked? I have tried all the cpu
> ratio multipliers in bios, having read that some boards will allow
> setting like 6x = 14x or so to get lower multipliers to allow me to run
> cpu and memory both at 166 at a usable mhz that the cpu can handle. This
> board seems to reject any attempts at changing the multiplier. What am I
> doing wrong?

Nothing, if it's a newer cpu. It won't change. You need to raise the FSB
to 166-180 in the bios. The KT333 chipset has a 5 divider for the PCI bus
so unless Chaintech screwed up, it should work at 166/33.

Wes Newell

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 15:35:11 -0500, It's not me! wrote:

> I have run my pc at mem 166 cpu 150 and booted into linux ok. so I
> think i am able to over clock this chip pretty good. I do not want to
> have my pci spec so far out though. How do you unlock the multipliers?
>
> I though all xp2400 were factory unlocked? I have tried all the cpu
> ratio multipliers in bios, having read that some boards will allow
> setting like 6x = 14x or so to get lower multipliers to allow me to
> run cpu and memory both at 166 at a usable mhz that the cpu can
> handle.
> This board seems to reject any attempts at changing the multiplier.
> What am I doing wrong?

Crap, I just realized you had a 2400+ which has a default FSB of 133Mhz.
Disregard last post. 15x166 will probably be too fast for the cpu. Also, I
doubt if your board properly supports all 5 multiplier bits, so even if
the cpu was unlocked, you'd need some help. See link below.

Doug Whitesell \(Verizon\)

AMD figured out that people were eeking too much power out of their
processors, and so has started to lock the multipliers of post-week
30-something-or-other-I-don't-remember processors. You're stuck on your
multiplier for now. Bump the FSB instead, in small increments.

Cheers and good luck and make sure you have plenty of cooling.

--
Doug Whitesell
all your base are belong to us

news:(E-Mail Removed)...