865pe-Neo2 Fis2R: Maxtor SATA config? & XP install

XP User

I have been struggling to successfully install XP pro (w/out file & stop
errors) with this MB. I'm not sure if its an issue with a) bio &/or Raid
configuration b) Memory incompatibility c) Incompatibility with Maxtor
diamond plus SATA HD d) combination of factors. My attempted set is:

P4 3.0ghz 800mhz FSB
Radeon 9600 PRO AGP8X
Antec True 550w
1 GB (512*2) Kingston PC3200 dual Channel 2-2-2-6-1
Diamonmax plus 9 160GB SATA

My goal is to use a single SATA drive & do a clean XP pro install. I have
tried to use the Promise controller first and got as far as setting up
Region & time zone setting, but the install gets to a page fault or stop
error (BSOD). I have tries the ICH5R as well with similar results. At some
points windows errors on coping certain files to HD. Something is definitely
unstable somewhere. The Maxblast tests show (& I believe) the drive is not
defective. (am using F6 & use diskette drivers for controller)

I believe (per tech support) I need and have configured a RAID as a striping
array.

Bios setting I have tried include:
Onchip ATA Mode: Legacy & Native
ATA config: diff combinations until CD ROM works
S-ATA enabled
P-ATA enabled
P-ATA channel sel: diff combinations
Combined Mode: S-ata 1st Channel
S-ata port def: P0 3rd-P1 4th (Promise)
Config S-ATA as raid: Yes & No
Onboard Promise IDE (yes when trying that controller)

I have tried a lot of different combinations (most with the raid set-up w/
fast track, some without) without success. I had no idea that setting up a
SATA install would be so confusing (raid options & bios settings) and
troublesome. Is it the Board? Is the Maxtor MSI combo twitchy? Is it that
SATA is still too new?

I think I read something (MSI web forum) that the Maxtor SATA driver were
not compatible with the ICH5R controller, though tech support didn't think
so.

I saw & ordered the "approved" Kinston PC3200 Ram for this board was the
KVR400x64C3AK2, I was sent the better HyperX DDR KHX3200K2 (1G kit). I'm not
sure if this mem would present a compat issue.

Has any one got a single Maxtor SATA drive to work with this board? Any
single SATA HD? If so what are your settings (profile)? Should I try a WD
Raptor?

I have not tried to install XP using the regular IDE (perhaps rule out
memory issue).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanx in advance.

oej

check the MSI bios version updates .. i think i recall seeing something in
reference to Maxtor in one of the fix updates

news:(E-Mail Removed)...