8k3a+ and 2800 barton...does temp monitor show accurate temp?

KCA

howdy all

pretty much as the subject says, have an 8k3a+ board with the correct
revision number to support the 2800 barton, which runs fine in the
board. only issue is that the temp is showing fairly high, between 60-70
degrees C, was wondering if this is an issue with the hardware monitor
not reading temp correctly or is it actually running that hot?

I'm not having any issues with the board, and can run intensive 3d games
for several hours without lockups or other problems...so am inclined to
ignore the readings from this...anyone using this combo and can shed
some light on this?

thanks in advance

Kris

DaveL

What does it say in bios? If it's the same then you better check the HSF
mounting and thermal compound.

DaveL

"KCA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> howdy all
>
> pretty much as the subject says, have an 8k3a+ board with the correct
> revision number to support the 2800 barton, which runs fine in the board.
> only issue is that the temp is showing fairly high, between 60-70 degrees
> C, was wondering if this is an issue with the hardware monitor not reading
> temp correctly or is it actually running that hot?
>
> I'm not having any issues with the board, and can run intensive 3d games
> for several hours without lockups or other problems...so am inclined to
> ignore the readings from this...anyone using this combo and can shed some
> light on this?
>

> thanks in advance
>

> Kris

KCA

aye, have done that, went home last night and removed the stock thermal
pad and replaced with thermal paste, no change in temp readings...cpu
and heatsink are making good contact, am using stock cooling from retail
box.

The thing is, when i went from an 8KTA3L+ to this board with my 2000+,
my temps went up by 10-14 degrees...on old board temps were between 40 -
50, on this one they were 50-60, makes me think the 8k3a+ hardware
monitor may be off?

DaveL wrote:
> What does it say in bios? If it's the same then you better check the
> HSF mounting and thermal compound.
>
> DaveL
>

> "KCA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>> howdy all
>>
>> pretty much as the subject says, have an 8k3a+ board with the correct
>> revision number to support the 2800 barton, which runs fine in the
>> board. only issue is that the temp is showing fairly high, between
>> 60-70 degrees C, was wondering if this is an issue with the hardware
>> monitor not reading temp correctly or is it actually running that hot?
>>
>> I'm not having any issues with the board, and can run intensive 3d
>> games for several hours without lockups or other problems...so am
>> inclined to ignore the readings from this...anyone using this combo
>> and can shed some light on this?
>>

>> thanks in advance
>>

>> Kris

DaveL

Yes sometimes the sensor can be off. Is this what it reads in bios? I
have two Epox 8RDA+ systems. One reads the cpu temp in the high 30s the
other in the mid 40s. They both have the same cpu and hsf. I chalked it up
to differences in the sensor calibration.

Since you have checked the installation of the HSF there is nothing more you
can do. You have to accept the temps you are getting as normal.

BTW, what is the case temp?

> aye, have done that, went home last night and removed the stock thermal
> pad and replaced with thermal paste, no change in temp readings...cpu and
> heatsink are making good contact, am using stock cooling from retail box.
>
> The thing is, when i went from an 8KTA3L+ to this board with my 2000+, my
> temps went up by 10-14 degrees...on old board temps were between 40 - 50,
> on this one they were 50-60, makes me think the 8k3a+ hardware monitor may
> be off?
>

> DaveL wrote:
>> What does it say in bios? If it's the same then you better check the HSF
>> mounting and thermal compound.
>>
>> DaveL
>>

>> "KCA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>>> howdy all
>>>
>>> pretty much as the subject says, have an 8k3a+ board with the correct
>>> revision number to support the 2800 barton, which runs fine in the
>>> board. only issue is that the temp is showing fairly high, between 60-70
>>> degrees C, was wondering if this is an issue with the hardware monitor
>>> not reading temp correctly or is it actually running that hot?
>>>
>>> I'm not having any issues with the board, and can run intensive 3d games
>>> for several hours without lockups or other problems...so am inclined to
>>> ignore the readings from this...anyone using this combo and can shed
>>> some light on this?
>>>

>>> thanks in advance
>>>

>>> Kris

KCA

case temp shows 25 degrees C, have been hunting and apparently the 8k3a+
has issues reading cores correctly other than the tbirds and
palominos...prolly pushing my expectations to get it to give accurate
readings for barton core cpu's...:-)

just hard for a tech to look at that and not want to *fix* it...lol

Kris

DaveL wrote:
> Yes sometimes the sensor can be off. Is this what it reads in bios? I
> have two Epox 8RDA+ systems. One reads the cpu temp in the high 30s
> the other in the mid 40s. They both have the same cpu and hsf. I
> chalked it up to differences in the sensor calibration.
>
> Since you have checked the installation of the HSF there is nothing more
> you can do. You have to accept the temps you are getting as normal.
>
> BTW, what is the case temp?
>
> DaveL
>

> "KCA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>> aye, have done that, went home last night and removed the stock
>> thermal pad and replaced with thermal paste, no change in temp
>> readings...cpu and heatsink are making good contact, am using stock
>> cooling from retail box.
>>
>> The thing is, when i went from an 8KTA3L+ to this board with my 2000+,
>> my temps went up by 10-14 degrees...on old board temps were between 40
>> - 50, on this one they were 50-60, makes me think the 8k3a+ hardware
>> monitor may be off?
>>

>> DaveL wrote:
>>
>>> What does it say in bios? If it's the same then you better check the
>>> HSF mounting and thermal compound.
>>>
>>> DaveL
>>>

>>> "KCA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

DaveL

I just did a quick search on your board and it is all clear now. The 8K3A+
reads the CPU's internal diode. That is why the temp seems so high in
comparison to other boards that merely have a sensor in the socket under the
chip.

> case temp shows 25 degrees C, have been hunting and apparently the 8k3a+
> has issues reading cores correctly other than the tbirds and
> palominos...prolly pushing my expectations to get it to give accurate
> readings for barton core cpu's...:-)
>
> just hard for a tech to look at that and not want to *fix* it...lol
>

> Kris
>

> DaveL wrote:
>> Yes sometimes the sensor can be off. Is this what it reads in bios? I
>> have two Epox 8RDA+ systems. One reads the cpu temp in the high 30s the
>> other in the mid 40s. They both have the same cpu and hsf. I chalked it
>> up to differences in the sensor calibration.
>>
>> Since you have checked the installation of the HSF there is nothing more
>> you can do. You have to accept the temps you are getting as normal.
>>
>> BTW, what is the case temp?
>>
>> DaveL
>>

>> "KCA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>>> aye, have done that, went home last night and removed the stock thermal
>>> pad and replaced with thermal paste, no change in temp readings...cpu
>>> and heatsink are making good contact, am using stock cooling from retail
>>> box.
>>>
>>> The thing is, when i went from an 8KTA3L+ to this board with my 2000+,
>>> my temps went up by 10-14 degrees...on old board temps were between 40 -
>>> 50, on this one they were 50-60, makes me think the 8k3a+ hardware
>>> monitor may be off?

KCA

it also is apparently reading 10 degrees too high, according to article
i found here
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=276
reading under the Test System section...so is all good...

thanks for your response!

Kris

DaveL wrote:
> I just did a quick search on your board and it is all clear now. The
> 8K3A+ reads the CPU's internal diode. That is why the temp seems so
> high in comparison to other boards that merely have a sensor in the
> socket under the chip.
>
> DaveL
>

> "KCA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>> case temp shows 25 degrees C, have been hunting and apparently the
>> 8k3a+ has issues reading cores correctly other than the tbirds and
>> palominos...prolly pushing my expectations to get it to give accurate
>> readings for barton core cpu's...:-)
>>
>> just hard for a tech to look at that and not want to *fix* it...lol
>>

>> Kris
>>

>> DaveL wrote:
>>
>>> Yes sometimes the sensor can be off. Is this what it reads in
>>> bios? I have two Epox 8RDA+ systems. One reads the cpu temp in the
>>> high 30s the other in the mid 40s. They both have the same cpu and
>>> hsf. I chalked it up to differences in the sensor calibration.
>>>
>>> Since you have checked the installation of the HSF there is nothing
>>> more you can do. You have to accept the temps you are getting as
>>> normal.
>>>
>>> BTW, what is the case temp?
>>>
>>> DaveL
>>>

>>> "KCA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

KCA

one other sideline to this if anyone else happens to read it is that the
latest bios drops the displayed temp by 10 degrees C, putting it into a
reasonable range of 50-60...so there is a bug in the original bios..