8K3A Problems

99 GMC Z71 Owner

Hello all,

A buddies PC crapped out on him, he gave it to me to reformat etc, I can't
get Win XP to install, part way through the install, a blue screen with a
message comes up telling me that there is problems with the video slot, then
the next time I try to install, it comes up with a message the IRQ's are
conflicting, then another time it say the memory is a problem, it tells me
to try disabling Bios Shadowing and caching, I did that, took for freakin
ever to load anything

I disconnected everything that the mobo doesn't need, IE sound card, network
card, storage drive, same thing as above

Tried the video card in my PC, works fine, tested everything else that I
could on my PC, works fine

Took the power supply out of my PC, put it in his, no difference, same
message

I notice that some of the resisters have a brownish dried up stuff on the
top of them, some don't

I have come to the conclusion that the mobo is NFG

You guys agree?

If not, any other ideas?

Thanx in advance

Brian

DaveL

You could replace the bad caps (they are capacitors, not resistors) or pitch
the board if it's not worth the hassle. Another post on here talks about a
guy named Gary who replaces the caps for a fee.

DaveL

"99 GMC Z71 Owner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> A buddies PC crapped out on him, he gave it to me to reformat etc, I can't
> get Win XP to install, part way through the install, a blue screen with a
> message comes up telling me that there is problems with the video slot,
> then the next time I try to install, it comes up with a message the IRQ's
> are conflicting, then another time it say the memory is a problem, it
> tells me to try disabling Bios Shadowing and caching, I did that, took for
> freakin ever to load anything
>
> I disconnected everything that the mobo doesn't need, IE sound card,
> network card, storage drive, same thing as above
>
> Tried the video card in my PC, works fine, tested everything else that I
> could on my PC, works fine
>
> Took the power supply out of my PC, put it in his, no difference, same
> message
>
> I notice that some of the resisters have a brownish dried up stuff on the
> top of them, some don't
>
> I have come to the conclusion that the mobo is NFG
>
> You guys agree?
>
> If not, any other ideas?
>
> Thanx in advance
>
> Brian

Brian

Thanx Dave

I replaced the mobo, its all good now

I'm not sure if I have the talent to replace the capacitors, I'll do a
little research to see how its done, I'll probably give it a try, if it
don't work, then I'll chuck the old one

Brian

"DaveL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You could replace the bad caps (they are capacitors, not resistors) or
> pitch the board if it's not worth the hassle. Another post on here talks
> about a guy named Gary who replaces the caps for a fee.
>
> DaveL
>

> "99 GMC Z71 Owner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Hello all,
>>
>> A buddies PC crapped out on him, he gave it to me to reformat etc, I
>> can't get Win XP to install, part way through the install, a blue screen
>> with a message comes up telling me that there is problems with the video
>> slot, then the next time I try to install, it comes up with a message the
>> IRQ's are conflicting, then another time it say the memory is a problem,
>> it tells me to try disabling Bios Shadowing and caching, I did that, took
>> for freakin ever to load anything
>>
>> I disconnected everything that the mobo doesn't need, IE sound card,
>> network card, storage drive, same thing as above
>>
>> Tried the video card in my PC, works fine, tested everything else that I
>> could on my PC, works fine
>>
>> Took the power supply out of my PC, put it in his, no difference, same
>> message
>>
>> I notice that some of the resisters have a brownish dried up stuff on the
>> top of them, some don't
>>
>> I have come to the conclusion that the mobo is NFG
>>
>> You guys agree?
>>
>> If not, any other ideas?
>>
>> Thanx in advance
>>
>> Brian

tim

"Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:sqo2e.841836$Xk.495393@pd7tw3no:

> Thanx Dave
>
> I replaced the mobo, its all good now
>
> I'm not sure if I have the talent to replace the capacitors, I'll do a
> little research to see how its done, I'll probably give it a try, if it
> don't work, then I'll chuck the old one
>
> Brian

Why not make an RMA request to EPOX?

They gave me an RMA on an 8K3A that was a year out of warranty.
That surprised the heck out of me.

tim

Rainer Latka

Brian schrieb am Mittwoch, 30. März 2005 04:46:

> Thanx Dave
>
> I replaced the mobo, its all good now
>
> I'm not sure if I have the talent to replace the capacitors, I'll do a
> little research to see how its done, I'll probably give it a try, if

as you don't seem to have any electronics experience, you may have
difficulties replacing the capacitors. These mobos are multilayer
designs; replacing components on them is certainly not a task for
beginners. Also, finding suitable replacement capacitors may be
difficult (temperature range and other parameters - its not just the
capacitance that needs to fit).

Rainer

> it don't work, then I'll chuck the old one
>
> Brian

[...]

8k3a+ and 2800+ barton? MarkJ Epox 5 02-27-2004 04:17 PM
Re: 8k3a bios flash probs Victor Epox 2 07-25-2003 11:46 PM
Re: 8k3a bios flash probs CoCo Epox 0 07-22-2003 05:19 AM
Fastest CPU for 8K3A+ ? Colin Epox 2 07-06-2003 02:17 PM
Re: 8k3a help Science Officer Epox 0 07-06-2003 10:54 AM