8KHA+, 9700 Pro, AIW 9800 Pro

ThosJ

I have an old 8KHA+ that's been fine for years, Rev 2.0, caps OK, Athlon
XP 1900+, latest BIOS upgrade. It has an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro. I have an
extra ATI Radeon AIW 9800 Pro I'd like to install, but when I do, the
power supply just kicks out instantly upon pressing the start button. PS
is Antec 430 True. I tried a different PS, Vantec 420, same thing. I put
the 9700 back in, have to unplug the ATX connector from the board, plug
back in, presto, starts right back up where it left off. Have tried many
times, nothing. Poof, shuts down before a fan even gets to make one
revolution!!

Oh, the 9800 came out of one of my other computers, known good.

Is there something about the AGP on a 9800 that won't let it run in this
board? Voltage different?

I have another 8KHA+ in another box, perhaps I'll try that one, but
expect the same result.

Any suggestions?

--

Tom
Greenville, WI, USA

thosj

Tried it in the other board, same board, rev. 2.0, caps look OK, Athlon
1600+, older BIOS rev. Did the same thing, bombed instantly.

What is this? Can't I use an ATI AIW 9800 in an Epox 8KHA+??

DaveL

Did you remember to plug a power supply connector into the card?

DaveL

"thosj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Tried it in the other board, same board, rev. 2.0, caps look OK, Athlon
> 1600+, older BIOS rev. Did the same thing, bombed instantly.
>
> What is this? Can't I use an ATI AIW 9800 in an Epox 8KHA+??

Graham W

thosj wrote:
> Tried it in the other board, same board, rev. 2.0, caps look OK,
> Athlon 1600+, older BIOS rev. Did the same thing, bombed instantly.
>
> What is this? Can't I use an ATI AIW 9800 in an Epox 8KHA+??

Have a look at the BIOS settings for the voltages/alarms and open
out the ranges a bit in order to allow the voltage rails to sag a little
in order to get the machine started.

HTH

ThosJ

Yup, plugged power connector to board, two different, known good, big,
high quality power supplies. I have to put this vid card back in a
system known to have worked with it and see if it's somehow the video
card itself. Don't know how it could be dead because I just took it out
of a system that was working fine, my main system actually.

Any more suggestions? Anyone with this combo working?

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:03:17 -0800, "DaveL" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Did you remember to plug a power supply connector into the card?
>
>DaveL
>

>"thosj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...
>> Tried it in the other board, same board, rev. 2.0, caps look OK, Athlon
>> 1600+, older BIOS rev. Did the same thing, bombed instantly.
>>
>> What is this? Can't I use an ATI AIW 9800 in an Epox 8KHA+??

--

Tom
Greenville, WI, USA

ThosJ

Yes I did, good supplies, two of 'em.

Any other suggestions?

wrote:

>Did you remember to plug a power supply connector into the card?
>
>DaveL
>

>"thosj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...
>> Tried it in the other board, same board, rev. 2.0, caps look OK, Athlon
>> 1600+, older BIOS rev. Did the same thing, bombed instantly.
>>
>> What is this? Can't I use an ATI AIW 9800 in an Epox 8KHA+??

--

Tom
Greenville, WI, USA

ThosJ

OK, tried card in computer where it lived before, the 9800 works
flawlessly, so it's NOT the video card, it's the motherboard,
apparently.

Now, where do I find these RANGES to set? I only see a VCORE and VDIMM
to set, and I can only set it up OR down, no RANGE, so to speak. Do I
set them DOWN to let the voltages SAG, as you suggest? Wouldn't setting
them down just regulate them to whatever I set them down TO? And these
are voltages of 1.75 (VCORE) and 2.5 (VDIMM) not 5v or 12v, which is
what's going to the video card with it's power connector, but I probably
don't understand all this.

I'm leaning toward just getting a new motherboard, more modern, and
starting from scratch on this box!! I'd like to figure it out just for
figuring out's sake!! I have two boxes with 8KHA+ boards, and this 9800
won't work in either. Neither has a plethora of STUFF in them that would
be loading a power supply, and both have good power supplies, I learned
that LONG AGO!! I could replace one, keep the 8KHA+ as a spare in case
the other one develops the dread leaking capacitor disease.

Thanks for the help.

--

Tom
Greenville, WI, USA

Graham W

ThosJ wrote:
> OK, tried card in computer where it lived before, the 9800 works
> flawlessly, so it's NOT the video card, it's the motherboard,
> apparently.
>
> Now, where do I find these RANGES to set? I only see a VCORE and VDIMM
> to set, and I can only set it up OR down, no RANGE, so to speak. Do I
> set them DOWN to let the voltages SAG, as you suggest? Wouldn't
> setting them down just regulate them to whatever I set them down TO?
> And these are voltages of 1.75 (VCORE) and 2.5 (VDIMM) not 5v or 12v,
> which is what's going to the video card with it's power connector,
> but I probably don't understand all this.
>
> I'm leaning toward just getting a new motherboard, more modern, and
> starting from scratch on this box!! I'd like to figure it out just for
> figuring out's sake!! I have two boxes with 8KHA+ boards, and this
> 9800 won't work in either. Neither has a plethora of STUFF in them
> that would be loading a power supply, and both have good power
> supplies, I learned that LONG AGO!! I could replace one, keep the
> 8KHA+ as a spare in case the other one develops the dread leaking
> capacitor disease.

Hmmm... I found my 8KHA+ manual and I find that my earlier advice was
off! There isn't any facility to set the shutdown sensitivity of the
'Health'
parameters. But I did see that the AGP catered for 1X, 2X and 4X but not
8X which requires a lower voltage, I believe. Is 8X a requirement of your
9800 ?

ThosJ

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 21:50:50 -0000, "Graham W"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hmmm... I found my 8KHA+ manual and I find that my earlier advice was
>off! There isn't any facility to set the shutdown sensitivity of the
>'Health'
>parameters. But I did see that the AGP catered for 1X, 2X and 4X but not
>8X which requires a lower voltage, I believe. Is 8X a requirement of your
>9800 ?

I'm not sure if it's a requirement. It is 8x capable for certain.
Perhaps that's the problem. Not sure why a lower required voltage would
trip the power supply out, but I guess!!

I suppose I'm down to leaving the 9700 in or swapping to a newer board
that'll support the 9800.

I can't imagine the 9800 not working in two 8KHA+ boards, working fine
in a couple non 8KHA+ boards, and the problem being anything other than
incompatibility, can you?

I just went to ati.com and it says 8x/4x/2x AGP, so still a mystery. I
surely don't get it.

Wonder where else I could go post to see if anyone has this combo
working or has a clue?

--

Tom
Greenville, WI, USA

Graham W

ThosJ wrote:
[...]
> Wonder where else I could go post to see if anyone has this combo
> working or has a clue?

news:alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati might help?