8kha+ Intermittent Boot Problem

BRH

I'm not sure whether this is a specific Epox question, but here goes --
When starting up my 8kha+ system, after the memory check, I get a
listing of my PCI devices and a message at the bottom of the screen
saying "Verifying DMI Pool Data...." The system just hangs there and
never boots until I hit the reset button.

This usually happens on the first system start-up of the day and
sometimes requires that I go thru the process 3 - 4 times before the
system finally boots up.

Does anyone know what this error message indicates? Is it a memory
issue, a hard drive issue, or something else?

The motherboard is a refurbished 8kha+ that I've used for about 10
months. I recently added a 3rd stick of 512M RAM, which I initially had
problems getting the system to recognize, but it turned out to be that I
didn't have it seated completely in the slot. However this "DMI"
problem started only after adding that RAM.

Graham W

BRH wrote:
> I'm not sure whether this is a specific Epox question, but here goes
> -- When starting up my 8kha+ system, after the memory check, I get a
> listing of my PCI devices and a message at the bottom of the screen
> saying "Verifying DMI Pool Data...." The system just hangs there and
> never boots until I hit the reset button.
>
> This usually happens on the first system start-up of the day and
> sometimes requires that I go thru the process 3 - 4 times before the
> system finally boots up.
>
> Does anyone know what this error message indicates? Is it a memory
> issue, a hard drive issue, or something else?
>
> The motherboard is a refurbished 8kha+ that I've used for about 10
> months. I recently added a 3rd stick of 512M RAM, which I initially
> had problems getting the system to recognize, but it turned out to be
> that I didn't have it seated completely in the slot. However this
> "DMI" problem started only after adding that RAM.
>
> Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

It isn't an error message. It is simply saying what it is going to do
next.
The fact that you get a hang up there is somewhat a coincidence,
however, if you say that you never saw the problem before before you
added the last stick of RAM, try taking it out again.

It actually sounds like typical 'bad caps' behaviour as you say it can
get past the hang up after a few tries. I've had that too.

It may be an idea to 'waggle' the last stick of RAM in its socket to
ensure it is still making good contact.

HTH

Graham W http://www.gcw.org.uk/ XP1800+ Page added, Graphics Tutorial
WIMBORNE http://www.wessex-astro.org.uk/ Wessex Astro Society's Website
Dorset UK Info, Meeting Dates, Sites & Maps

BRH

Graham W wrote:
> BRH wrote:
>
>>I'm not sure whether this is a specific Epox question, but here goes
>>-- When starting up my 8kha+ system, after the memory check, I get a
>>listing of my PCI devices and a message at the bottom of the screen
>>saying "Verifying DMI Pool Data...." The system just hangs there and
>>never boots until I hit the reset button.
>>
>>This usually happens on the first system start-up of the day and
>>sometimes requires that I go thru the process 3 - 4 times before the
>>system finally boots up.
>>
>>Does anyone know what this error message indicates? Is it a memory
>>issue, a hard drive issue, or something else?
>>
>>The motherboard is a refurbished 8kha+ that I've used for about 10
>>months. I recently added a 3rd stick of 512M RAM, which I initially
>>had problems getting the system to recognize, but it turned out to be
>>that I didn't have it seated completely in the slot. However this
>>"DMI" problem started only after adding that RAM.
>>
>>Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

> It isn't an error message. It is simply saying what it is going to do
> next.
> The fact that you get a hang up there is somewhat a coincidence,
> however, if you say that you never saw the problem before before you
> added the last stick of RAM, try taking it out again.
>
> It actually sounds like typical 'bad caps' behaviour as you say it can
> get past the hang up after a few tries. I've had that too.
>
> It may be an idea to 'waggle' the last stick of RAM in its socket to
> ensure it is still making good contact.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> --
> Graham W http://www.gcw.org.uk/ XP1800+ Page added, Graphics Tutorial
> WIMBORNE http://www.wessex-astro.org.uk/ Wessex Astro Society's Website
> Dorset UK Info, Meeting Dates, Sites & Maps

Thanks for the info.

I sure hope that it isn't bad caps. My original 8kha+ lasted 5 years of
heavy use. I've only had this refurbished one for about 10 months or so.

Tommy

>I'm not sure whether this is a specific Epox question, but here goes --
>When starting up my 8kha+ system, after the memory check, I get a
>listing of my PCI devices and a message at the bottom of the screen
>saying "Verifying DMI Pool Data...." The system just hangs there and
>never boots until I hit the reset button.
>
>This usually happens on the first system start-up of the day and
>sometimes requires that I go thru the process 3 - 4 times before the
>system finally boots up.
>
>Does anyone know what this error message indicates? Is it a memory
>issue, a hard drive issue, or something else?
>
>The motherboard is a refurbished 8kha+ that I've used for about 10
>months. I recently added a 3rd stick of 512M RAM, which I initially had
>problems getting the system to recognize, but it turned out to be that I
>didn't have it seated completely in the slot. However this "DMI"
>problem started only after adding that RAM.
>
>Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

My 8HDA5+ does the same thing every few days only on boot up.
caps "look" fine. Bought it new wish I could find another.
Uses the 754 CPU.

finding z0

On Sep 8, 12:13 pm, BRH <BRH> wrote:
> I'm not sure whether this is a specific Epox question, but here goes --
> When starting up my 8kha+ system, after the memory check, I get a
> listing of my PCI devices and a message at the bottom of the screen
> saying "Verifying DMI Pool Data...." The system just hangs there and
> never boots until I hit the reset button.
>
> This usually happens on the first system start-up of the day and
> sometimes requires that I go thru the process 3 - 4 times before the
> system finally boots up.
>
> Does anyone know what this error message indicates? Is it a memory
> issue, a hard drive issue, or something else?
>
> The motherboard is a refurbished 8kha+ that I've used for about 10
> months. I recently added a 3rd stick of 512M RAM, which I initially had
> problems getting the system to recognize, but it turned out to be that I
> didn't have it seated completely in the slot. However this "DMI"
> problem started only after adding that RAM.
>
> Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

How about crazy thoughts

HAHAHAHAHAHAH.....Sorry, but i was gonna post the same problem. Almost
7 yr old 8KHA+ with an athlon 2400xp clocked at 2600. i.e. from 7.5X
to 8X times 133 (and doubled). Overclocking the cpu got rid of the
"hit the reset button" cause it won't entirely fire up the first time,
but it consistently fires up the second. My new problem with the OC'd
sys is that now, after several years, the cpu, which normally idles
between 47 deg C in Winter, to 51 deg in summer, now starts
heating to 54 deg C and everthiiiiinnnnngggggggggg
slooooooooooooooowzssss dooooown to an impossible crawl. It does this
every other time I use the rig. All the fans are working (haven't
looked into the PS). So I clocked it back down to 2400 and I suspect
that may solve the heat problem, but the double startup problem is
back. That's why I said HAHAHAHAHAHA,,,,,,it's enuff to drive one
mad..... A friend thought it might be the PS, but it seems to me when
I posted this problem years ago, someone tried a new PS and that
didn't solve the problem. I guess I can live with the double startup.
I don't remember if it also hangs on shut down. Now that would be too
much. These MB are artworks, not precision pieces. It could be
anything. Anyone know what the voltages in the bios should be? My core
voltage says "0"

Lee M.

<BRH> wrote in message news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm not sure whether this is a specific Epox question, but here goes --
> When starting up my 8kha+ system, after the memory check, I get a listing
> of my PCI devices and a message at the bottom of the screen saying
> "Verifying DMI Pool Data...." The system just hangs there and never
> boots until I hit the reset button.
>
> This usually happens on the first system start-up of the day and sometimes
> requires that I go thru the process 3 - 4 times before the system finally
> boots up.
>
> Does anyone know what this error message indicates? Is it a memory issue,
> a hard drive issue, or something else?
>
> The motherboard is a refurbished 8kha+ that I've used for about 10 months.
> I recently added a 3rd stick of 512M RAM, which I initially had problems
> getting the system to recognize, but it turned out to be that I didn't
> have it seated completely in the slot. However this "DMI" problem started
> only after adding that RAM.
>
> Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

I have a similar problem with an 8RDA3+ I bought off Ebay a few months ago.
About every 3rd or 4th start, it will hang on the BIOS screen. Sometimes it
gets to the "detecting IDE drives" message and hangs, sometimes I only get
part of the BIOS screen displayed. Always boots up the 2nd or 3rd time and
once running, I never have a problem. It has been suggested by other
posters that it is 1) power supply or 2) bad caps.

The caps look fine, no bulging or leaking (unlike the 8RDA+ I have with
leaking, bulging caps, which boots up fine but the Vdd voltage fluctuates
between 1.4 and 1.6). The power supply is a 6 month old Rosewill 430 watt.
Not a top of line PSU but should be robust enough for my system. At this
point, I'm just living with it though I may try a better brand power supply
in the future.

One other suggestion I had was to remove all the cards and memory stick and
re-install them and very all PSU connections are good and solid.

Good luck.