8RDA+ Firewire Connector

redehm

I have recently purchased an 8RDA+ off of eBay. The motherboard did
not come with anything but a driver disc.

I am attempting to track down the pin assignments and the connector
type for the internal firewire / 1394 header. Unfortunately it looks
like EPoX's ftp server is down so I am having trouble accessing
manuals.

Short of asking a friend who lives in the US to buy one of the 1394
back panels (I live in the UK, epoxstore.com does not ship to the UK
from what I can tell), does anyone have any suggestions for connecting
the 2x5 pin front-panel connector from my case to the motherboard?

I have already attempted to use this 8x1 connector:
http://frontx.com/cpx075_7.html
but it is too big.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Paul

redehm wrote:
> I have recently purchased an 8RDA+ off of eBay. The motherboard did
> not come with anything but a driver disc.
>
> I am attempting to track down the pin assignments and the connector
> type for the internal firewire / 1394 header. Unfortunately it looks
> like EPoX's ftp server is down so I am having trouble accessing
> manuals.
>
> Short of asking a friend who lives in the US to buy one of the 1394
> back panels (I live in the UK, epoxstore.com does not ship to the UK
> from what I can tell), does anyone have any suggestions for connecting
> the 2x5 pin front-panel connector from my case to the motherboard?
>
> I have already attempted to use this 8x1 connector:
> http://frontx.com/cpx075_7.html
> but it is too big.
>
> Any suggestions would be welcomed.

http://www.frontx.com/cpx105_2.html

Eventually, the FTP server will be available again, and you can
verify the pinout. I suspect you'll find it is similar to the
pinout on the left of this picture.

http://www.frontx.com/cpx105_2p4.gif

TPA+/- is one differential signal pair.
TPB+/- is the other differential signal pair.

VP is +12V, and there are two pins to handle the maximum current
expected by specification.

GND in the picture, would correspond to VG, as mentioned in
the standard. There are two GND pins to handle the max current.
The position of the two GND pins, is also used for crosstalk
reduction between TPA and TPB pairs.

In a proper implementation, I believe VP and VG are supposed
to be galvanically isolated from signal ground. On computers,
VG is the same thing as GND. In practical terms, that means,
if you are using "Firewire networking" between two computers,
you'd want to plug the computers into the same power strip.
That helps prevent ground differences from developing between
the two computers.

S-GND is intended to be the shield ground, and connects to
the outer foil on the cable. That is intended to contain
emissions that might escape the cable.

So when the Epox site is available again, verify that the pinout
is the same as the above figure. The FrontX CPX105-2 part might be
a good match for the job.

To convert a 1x8 to a 2x5, you need a nylon shell from this page.

http://www.frontx.com/order_c.html

The cpx075-4 for example, is a 2x5 shell. You move the wires and
pins, from the 1x8 to the 2x5. You may be able to scavenge a 2x5
from another cable assembly, if you have a lot of old motherboards
around.

This page, shows how to move wires from one shell to another.

http://www.frontx.com/head_con.html

Paul

redehm

On 6 Aug, 18:54, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> redehm wrote:
> > I have recently purchased an 8RDA+ off of eBay. The motherboard did
> > not come with anything but a driver disc.

> > I am attempting to track down the pin assignments and the connector
> > type for the internal firewire / 1394 header. Unfortunately it looks
> > like EPoX's ftp server is down so I am having trouble accessing
> > manuals.

> > Short of asking a friend who lives in the US to buy one of the 1394
> > back panels (I live in the UK, epoxstore.com does not ship to the UK
> > from what I can tell), does anyone have any suggestions for connecting
> > the 2x5 pin front-panel connector from my case to the motherboard?

> > I have already attempted to use this 8x1 connector:
> >http://frontx.com/cpx075_7.html
> > but it is too big.

> > Any suggestions would be welcomed.

> http://www.frontx.com/cpx105_2.html
>
> Eventually, the FTP server will be available again, and you can
> verify the pinout. I suspect you'll find it is similar to the
> pinout on the left of this picture.
>
> http://www.frontx.com/cpx105_2p4.gif
>
> TPA+/- is one differential signal pair.
> TPB+/- is the other differential signal pair.
>
> VP is +12V, and there are two pins to handle the maximum current
> expected by specification.
>
> GND in the picture, would correspond to VG, as mentioned in
> the standard. There are two GND pins to handle the max current.
> The position of the two GND pins, is also used for crosstalk
> reduction between TPA and TPB pairs.
>
> In a proper implementation, I believe VP and VG are supposed
> to be galvanically isolated from signal ground. On computers,
> VG is the same thing as GND. In practical terms, that means,
> if you are using "Firewire networking" between two computers,
> you'd want to plug the computers into the same power strip.
> That helps prevent ground differences from developing between
> the two computers.
>
> S-GND is intended to be the shield ground, and connects to
> the outer foil on the cable. That is intended to contain
> emissions that might escape the cable.
>
> So when the Epox site is available again, verify that the pinout
> is the same as the above figure. The FrontX CPX105-2 part might be
> a good match for the job.
>
> To convert a 1x8 to a 2x5, you need a nylon shell from this page.
>
> http://www.frontx.com/order_c.html
>
> The cpx075-4 for example, is a 2x5 shell. You move the wires and
> pins, from the 1x8 to the 2x5. You may be able to scavenge a 2x5
> from another cable assembly, if you have a lot of old motherboards
> around.
>
> This page, shows how to move wires from one shell to another.
>
> http://www.frontx.com/head_con.html
>
> Paul

Paul, many thanks for your help.

Just to clarify, my case connector is the 2x5 one listed on the FrontX
site (CPX075-4). The problem is that the header on the 8RDA+
motherboard is an "unconventional" 1x8 pinout. It is too small for
the CPX075-7 part that I have already bought (a 2.54mm pitch). The
closest thing that I have come to is the back-panel connector that
EPoX sells:

https://www.epoxstore.com/Product_De...roduct_ID=1034

You can just make out the white connector out in the photo. As a last
resort, I can buy this soley for the connector, but would like to
avoid it if I can get the connector on its own.

Paul

redehm wrote:
> [...]

>> around.
>>
>> This page, shows how to move wires from one shell to another.
>>
>> http://www.frontx.com/head_con.html
>>
>> Paul

> Paul, many thanks for your help.
>
> Just to clarify, my case connector is the 2x5 one listed on the FrontX
> site (CPX075-4). The problem is that the header on the 8RDA+
> motherboard is an "unconventional" 1x8 pinout. It is too small for
> the CPX075-7 part that I have already bought (a 2.54mm pitch). The
> closest thing that I have come to is the back-panel connector that
> EPoX sells:
>
> https://www.epoxstore.com/Product_De...roduct_ID=1034
>
> You can just make out the white connector out in the photo. As a last
> resort, I can buy this soley for the connector, but would like to
> avoid it if I can get the connector on its own.

Measure the spacing from pin to pin, to get an accurate idea of the spacing.
The FrontX stuff could be 0.1" centers or 2.54mm. The Epox could be 2mm
spacing, which is a tighter pitch.

If could be that the pins are not interchangeable between the two systems.
The pins used on the 2mm system, could be different than those used on
2.54mm system. The retention of the pin, relies on its outer dimension,
and if the pitch of the pins is tighter, the pins themselves might be different
as well.

Outfits like Digikey.com or Mouser.com have a ton of stuff like that. So
much stuff, in fact, that it can be virtually impossible to identify just
the right one.

At this point, if Epoxstore has what you need, then buy it. Crimping
new pins on the end of the cable, just isn't worth it. I looked through
my copy of the Digikey catalog (2105 pages), and I cannot find a
single row 2mm nylon housing and associated crimp pins.

Paul

redehm

On Aug 6, 9:13 pm, Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]

> spacing, which is a tighter pitch.
>
> If could be that the pins are not interchangeable between the two systems.
> The pins used on the 2mm system, could be different than those used on
> 2.54mm system. The retention of the pin, relies on its outer dimension,
> and if the pitch of the pins is tighter, the pins themselves might be different
> as well.
>
> Outfits like Digikey.com or Mouser.com have a ton of stuff like that. So
> much stuff, in fact, that it can be virtually impossible to identify just
> the right one.
>
> At this point, if Epoxstore has what you need, then buy it. Crimping
> new pins on the end of the cable, just isn't worth it. I looked through
> my copy of the Digikey catalog (2105 pages), and I cannot find a
> single row 2mm nylon housing and associated crimp pins.

Measured the pitch on the header last night. You were right, it is
2mm and the pins are smaller than the ones used with the 2.54mm pitch
connectors. I had a quick look on the two sites that you recommended
as well as rswww.com and couldn't find anything similar. And ya, I
don't think that I want to go through the whole crimping exercise.

My plan is now as follows:
1. Buy the back-panel EPoX Firewire connector via my friend in the US:
https://www.epoxstore.com/Product_De...roduct_ID=1034
2. Buy a "6-pin male 1394 socket" to "2x5 header connector male"
adapter cable from FrontX:
http://www.frontx.com/cpx509.html

Bit of a round-about way of doing it but it should work.

I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again for your help.