8x graphics card on 4x MOBO

Bob

can a SOYO K7Dragon MB with a Universal AGP Pro slot (support 1x/2x/4x
mode) accommodate an 8x graphics card? I bought said card for one of my
daughter's games however....

I notice that even with updated drivers, games that require 8x will freeze
midstream and mouse works only intermittently.

Bottom line; to use the 8x graphics card. is it necessary to have 8x
capability on MB?
thx

Custom Computers

On Jan 21, 3:45 pm, "Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> can a SOYO K7Dragon MB with a Universal AGP Pro slot (support 1x/2x/4x
> mode) accommodate an 8x graphics card? I bought said card for one of my
> daughter's games however....
>
> I notice that even with updated drivers, games that require 8x will freeze
> midstream and mouse works only intermittently.
>
> Bottom line; to use the 8x graphics card. is it necessary to have 8x
> capability on MB?
> thx

If it's strickly an 8X card then no its not going to work, you would
be risking damage to the video card by overpowering it. But most AGP
cards are a combination of 4X and 8X which means the card can sense
the power input and will run it at 4X mode.