90 nm Opteron support?

Jeff 666

With AMD's announcement today that their entire line of Opterons have
migrated to 90 nm with 1 GHz HyperTransport (stepping E4), does anyone know
if Tyan have immediate plans to support 1 GHz, e.g. by replacing the
S2895's 8131 with an 8132?

Rob Stow

Jeff 666 wrote:
> With AMD's announcement today that their entire line of Opterons have
> migrated to 90 nm with 1 GHz HyperTransport (stepping E4), does anyone know
> if Tyan have immediate plans to support 1 GHz, e.g. by replacing the
> S2895's 8131 with an 8132?

You obviously didn't bother to check out Tyan's site and read up
on the S2895 and the S2891. A lot more has been changed in the
chipset than merely upgrading the 8131 to the 8132.

--
Every cloud has a silver lining, even if you sometimes
have to drop a little acid before you can see it.

Jeff 666

Rob Stow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> Jeff 666 wrote:
>> With AMD's announcement today that their entire line of Opterons have
>> migrated to 90 nm with 1 GHz HyperTransport (stepping E4), does
>> anyone know if Tyan have immediate plans to support 1 GHz, e.g. by
>> replacing the S2895's 8131 with an 8132?

> You obviously didn't bother to check out Tyan's site and read up
> on the S2895 and the S2891. A lot more has been changed in the
> chipset than merely upgrading the 8131 to the 8132.

Thanks for replying though it's not entirely clear what your point is. I am
familiar with what is and what is not published on Tyan's web site about
the S2895 and the S2891. Neither support the 1 GHz HyperTransport of the
new Opterons. I was merely asking if anyone had heard anything about Tyan's
plans for the new chips.

Rob Stow

Jeff 666 wrote:
> Rob Stow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>

>>Jeff 666 wrote:
>>
>>>With AMD's announcement today that their entire line of Opterons have
>>>migrated to 90 nm with 1 GHz HyperTransport (stepping E4), does
>>>anyone know if Tyan have immediate plans to support 1 GHz, e.g. by
>>>replacing the S2895's 8131 with an 8132?

>>You obviously didn't bother to check out Tyan's site and read up
>>on the S2895 and the S2891. A lot more has been changed in the
>>chipset than merely upgrading the 8131 to the 8132.
>>

> Thanks for replying though it's not entirely clear what your point is. I am
> familiar with what is and what is not published on Tyan's web site about
> the S2895 and the S2891. Neither support the 1 GHz HyperTransport of the
> new Opterons. I was merely asking if anyone had heard anything about Tyan's
> plans for the new chips.

Those two boards use the nForce4 Pro 2050 + 2200 chipset.

Everything review I've seen so far of the nForce4 Pro has said it
uses 1 GHz for the HT links.

The nVidia website doesn't specifically give a GHz or MHz number
for the HT speed, but it does give 8 GB/s as the bandwidth
(undoubtedly should have been stated as 8 Gb/s) from which you
can deduce the 1 GHz speed.

--

Rob Stow wrote:
> Jeff 666 wrote:
>
>>Rob Stow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

>>>You obviously didn't bother to check out Tyan's site and read up
>>>on the S2895 and the S2891. A lot more has been changed in the
>>>chipset than merely upgrading the 8131 to the 8132.
>>>

>>Thanks for replying though it's not entirely clear what your point is. I am
>>familiar with what is and what is not published on Tyan's web site about
>>the S2895 and the S2891. Neither support the 1 GHz HyperTransport of the
>>new Opterons. I was merely asking if anyone had heard anything about Tyan's
>>plans for the new chips.

> Those two boards use the nForce4 Pro 2050 + 2200 chipset.
>
> Everything review I've seen so far of the nForce4 Pro has said it
> uses 1 GHz for the HT links.
>
> The nVidia website doesn't specifically give a GHz or MHz number
> for the HT speed, but it does give 8 GB/s as the bandwidth
> (undoubtedly should have been stated as 8 Gb/s) from which you
> can deduce the 1 GHz speed.

Had a blonde moment there.

What is on the nVidia site is 800 GB/s, which I meant to post
here and suggest a correct value of 8 GB/s. Don't ask me how I
managed to type 8 GB/s with a suggestion correction of 8 Gb/s.

--

> Rob Stow wrote:
>> Jeff 666 wrote:
>>
>>>Rob Stow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> What is on the nVidia site is 800 GB/s, which I meant to post
> here and suggest a correct value of 8 GB/s. Don't ask me how I
> managed to type 8 GB/s with a suggestion correction of 8 Gb/s.

Thanks Rob. I noticed that the S2895's BIOS settings have a 1 GHz HT option
(800 MHz by default).

Rob Stow

Jeff 666 wrote:
> Rob Stow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>

>>Rob Stow wrote:

>>What is on the nVidia site is 800 GB/s, which I meant to post
>>here and suggest a correct value of 8 GB/s. Don't ask me how I
>>managed to type 8 GB/s with a suggestion correction of 8 Gb/s.
>>

> Thanks Rob. I noticed that the S2895's BIOS settings have a 1 GHz HT option
> (800 MHz by default).

You have an S2895 already ? Wow.

Someone I'm going to build a few systems for just ordered a few
and was told that it would be at least late March before they
arrived.

Where did you get them from ?
Did you get the kind with integrated SCSI ?
Discover any gotchas specific to building a system around the S2895?
Have you tried out the nForce4's SATA RAID features ?

--
Every cloud has a silver lining, even if you sometimes
have to drop a little acid before you can see it.

Erich

Just FYI (I work for AMD so am familiar with the HT options and what
they do):

The earlier Dual Opteron motherboards (at least the Thunder K8W and K8S
Pro, which I have) support 1GHz HT *between* the processors (look in
the BIOS setup), which is the most important part performance in
general.

1 GHz HT to the I/O subsystem just isn't necessary for PCI-X 1.0 or AGP
8x, 800MHz HT is already more than fast enough (3.2 GB/sec in each
direction full duplex, so 6.4GB/sec total).

In theory, the PCI-Express x16 could see the difference, but I bet in
general you would never notice the difference in usage considering, If
I Recall Correctly, PCI-Express vs. AGP 8x doesn't seem to make a
measurable difference in benchmarks either.

Erich Boleyn

Jeff 666 wrote:
> Rob Stow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
> > Rob Stow wrote:

> > What is on the nVidia site is 800 GB/s, which I meant to post
> > here and suggest a correct value of 8 GB/s. Don't ask me how I
> > managed to type 8 GB/s with a suggestion correction of 8 Gb/s.
> >

> Thanks Rob. I noticed that the S2895's BIOS settings have a 1 GHz HT

option
> (800 MHz by default).

Kingston DDR problems working dual channel on SK8N Opteron rodmont74 Asus 0 01-28-2005 05:56 PM
SK8V/Opteron performance issue Ivo Truxa Asus 0 01-24-2005 10:14 PM
Abit Dual Opteron? Damaeus Abit 0 08-18-2004 02:42 PM
Dual Opteron mainboard by Abit? Simon Howson Abit 0 08-10-2004 12:25 PM
opteron motheboard Simon Yee Asus 1 08-04-2003 05:03 AM