9CJS LED says "F" - no boot

Nigel M

I've just got a 9CJS. I've connected up the CPU (2GHz) and memory, but
it won't boot, the LED says "F". Is it faulty?
--
Nigel Mercier

Lazarus

do the fans go on etc

by "no boot" do you mean you have no picture but everything else seems fine?

what vga card are you using?

i couldnt boot with a radeon but did with a ti4200

the display should say "FF" when everything is normal.

"Nigel M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've just got a 9CJS. I've connected up the CPU (2GHz) and memory, but
> it won't boot, the LED says "F". Is it faulty?
> --
> Nigel Mercier

Nigel M

In alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech, Lazarus wrote:

>do the fans go on etc

Yes.

>by "no boot" do you mean you have no picture but everything else seems fine?

No beeps, no video. Haven't got as far as attaching a drive to it.

>what vga card are you using?

Matrox Parhelia, but even without it there is no beep.

>the display should say "FF" when everything is normal.

Should the display change as it boots? It seems to say "F", but closer
inspection shows that the second digit is also F, but lower brightness.

--
Nigel Mercier

Lazarus

forget about the beeps you dont get them until you load bios defaults IIRC

What I do know is that I had the same as as you and I got no beeps either
until I finally accessed the bios.

Try a different graffix card. It wouldnt work with my ati radeon and the
card was fine and met all specs so a mate of mine said "look at the way they
sell g force cards I`ll bet a ti4200 will work"

So I bought one and it did first time!

So try another vga card!

"Nigel M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech, Lazarus wrote:
>
> >do the fans go on etc

> Yes.
>
> >by "no boot" do you mean you have no picture but everything else seems

fine?

> No beeps, no video. Haven't got as far as attaching a drive to it.
>
> >what vga card are you using?

> Matrox Parhelia, but even without it there is no beep.
>
> >the display should say "FF" when everything is normal.

> Should the display change as it boots? It seems to say "F", but closer
> inspection shows that the second digit is also F, but lower brightness.
>
> --
> Nigel Mercier

Nigel M

In alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech, Lazarus wrote:

>So try another vga card!

But shouldn't I see some activity on the LED without any cards in?

--
Nigel Mercier

Lazarus

I cant remember mate! Again, maybe it doesnt work right until you load bios
defaults.

Try swapping the vga card! 1.5v only remember!

.............I just searched through my email from the time I couldnt get a
picture either and the post DID display FF

BUT I would still try another vga card if I were you because this board is
pure class when you get it going!

"Nigel M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech, Lazarus wrote:
>
> >So try another vga card!

> But shouldn't I see some activity on the LED without any cards in?
>

> --
> Nigel Mercier

Nigel M

In alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech, Lazarus wrote:

>BUT I would still try another vga card if I were you because this board is
>pure class when you get it going!

I've tried another card (an old TNT2), same result ;-)

Any other suggestions? Something obvious that I've forgotten to do?

--
Nigel Mercier

Lazarus

No I`m out of ideas.

Tried ram in another slot? (I`m clutching at straws here.....)

You could try chaintech support....sometimes they are good sometimes not but
they reply quite quick...usually within 24 hrs

Do you have different ram you could try because bad ram can cause the exact
same symptom ......I was working on a build using a asus board and I kept
thinking it was the graffic card.....it was the same thing....no beeps but
motherboard appeared alive........then I discovered it had a voice post
system and plugged a speaker in the back of the board only to hear the woman
tell me "memory check fail"

replaced the ram and everything lit up as it should

"Nigel M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech, Lazarus wrote:
>
> >BUT I would still try another vga card if I were you because this board

is
> >pure class when you get it going!

> I've tried another card (an old TNT2), same result ;-)
>
> Any other suggestions? Something obvious that I've forgotten to do?
>

> --
> Nigel Mercier

Nigel M

In alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.chaintech, Lazarus wrote:

>Do you have different ram you could try because bad ram

The RAM works OK in another system. It's Corsair VS512MB400.

--
Nigel Mercier

Lazarus

Heres a strange one for you then

I too have a 512mb pc2100 ram

BUT

If you look at the manual it says that ddr400 on a p4 2ghz and with an 875p
chipset is NOT supported

Page 9 of the manual

Could this be anything to do with it? Like I said mine worked ok with same
setup as you but check the manual for yourself

If all else fails mention this to chaintech support and see what they say!