9CJS + Win98SE = no sound?

Ian

Hi,

I have a Chaintech 9CJS mobo with Windows 98SE, and I'm having trouble
getting the on-board sound to work.

The drivers are apparently installed ok - the "Envy24 Family Audio
Controller WDM" device is listed in the Device Manager, and it says
"The device is working properly". But no playback (or recording)
device shows up in the Multimedia Properties. Also, if I try to run
the "Envy Audio Deck", nothing happens (no window appears).

I've tried the drivers from Chaintech and the latest ones from ATI.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has got the on-board sound working
under Win98SE? And if so, how?

Thanks for any ideas!

Ian

> I've tried the drivers from Chaintech and the latest ones from ATI.

Oops! That should of course say "VIA", not "ATI".

Ginchy

I use win98se with the board and had no problems?

After I loaded win98se i didnt let it load any drivers i just cancelled out
and let the desktop load

Then I insalled all the drivers from the chaintech disc one at a time in the
order they were on the menu.

Cant think of anything except try to uninstall everything in safe mode and
reload the drivers.....remove the soundcard in device manager and remove all
traces of the driver. Then when windows detects new hardware on reboot dont
let it look for anything just cancel it and let desktop load.........then
use the chaintech disc to reinstall the drivers.

Thats all I can think of.

"Ian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > I've tried the drivers from Chaintech and the latest ones from ATI.

> Oops! That should of course say "VIA", not "ATI".

Ginchy

Hang on a minute....what audio deck???

I didnt get any software installed other than the driver........this makes
me think you installed the wrong setup ?

"Ginchy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bsf9mj$l6t$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I use win98se with the board and had no problems?
>
> After I loaded win98se i didnt let it load any drivers i just cancelled

out
> and let the desktop load
>
> Then I insalled all the drivers from the chaintech disc one at a time in

the
> order they were on the menu.
>
> Cant think of anything except try to uninstall everything in safe mode and
> reload the drivers.....remove the soundcard in device manager and remove

all
> traces of the driver. Then when windows detects new hardware on reboot

dont
> let it look for anything just cancel it and let desktop load.........then
> use the chaintech disc to reinstall the drivers.
>
> Thats all I can think of.
>

> "Ian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > I've tried the drivers from Chaintech and the latest ones from ATI.

> > Oops! That should of course say "VIA", not "ATI".

Ginchy

ok I found audio rack and when i installed it it opens up ok but i get an
error msg saying "cannot execute all of the components of Audio Rack. Please
check program files and registry setting or just reinstall Audio Rack"

hmmm

tried it again and got same message but it does appear to work fine
regardless!

"Ginchy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bsfasr$mjl$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hang on a minute....what audio deck???
>
> I didnt get any software installed other than the driver........this makes
> me think you installed the wrong setup ?
>

> "Ginchy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bsf9mj$l6t$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I use win98se with the board and had no problems?
> >
> > After I loaded win98se i didnt let it load any drivers i just cancelled

> out
> > and let the desktop load
> >
> > Then I insalled all the drivers from the chaintech disc one at a time in

> the
> > order they were on the menu.
> >
> > Cant think of anything except try to uninstall everything in safe mode

and
> > reload the drivers.....remove the soundcard in device manager and remove

> all
> > traces of the driver. Then when windows detects new hardware on reboot

> dont
> > let it look for anything just cancel it and let desktop

load.........then
> > use the chaintech disc to reinstall the drivers.
> >
> > Thats all I can think of.
> >

> > "Ian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > >
> > > Oops! That should of course say "VIA", not "ATI".

Ian

Thanks, at least I now know it can work under Win98SE

At first, I suspected it may have been due to IRQ conflicts (for some
reason a load of things are assigned to share IRQs, while leaving IRQ
6 & 12 empty!). But even after disabling things (eg. LAN) to have the
audio on it's own IRQ, it still doesn't work. Can you tell me what
IRQs you have everything on? The audio shares IRQ 11 with the Intel
gigabit LAN here. These are all my IRQs:

0 System timer
1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
2 Programmable interrupt controller
3 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
3 Intel(R) 82801EB SMBus Controller - 24D3
4 Communications Port (COM1)
5 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
5 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
5 Creative SB Audigy
6 (free)
7 Printer Port (LPT1)
8 System CMOS/real time clock
9 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
10 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
10 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
10 NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
11 Envy24 Family Audio Controller WDM
11 Intel(R) PRO/1000 CT Desktop Connection
12 (free)
13 Numeric data processor
14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
14 Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
15 Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers

Btw, have you tried the latest drivers from VIA?

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=327

"Ginchy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bsf9mj$l6t$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I use win98se with the board and had no problems?
>
> After I loaded win98se i didnt let it load any drivers i just cancelled out
> and let the desktop load
>
> Then I insalled all the drivers from the chaintech disc one at a time in the
> order they were on the menu.
>
> Cant think of anything except try to uninstall everything in safe mode and
> reload the drivers.....remove the soundcard in device manager and remove all
> traces of the driver. Then when windows detects new hardware on reboot dont
> let it look for anything just cancel it and let desktop load.........then
> use the chaintech disc to reinstall the drivers.
>
> Thats all I can think of.
>

> "Ian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > I've tried the drivers from Chaintech and the latest ones from ATI.

> > Oops! That should of course say "VIA", not "ATI".

Conor

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Hi,
>
> I have a Chaintech 9CJS mobo with Windows 98SE, and I'm having trouble
> getting the on-board sound to work.
>
> The drivers are apparently installed ok - the "Envy24 Family Audio
> Controller WDM" device is listed in the Device Manager, and it says
> "The device is working properly". But no playback (or recording)
> device shows up in the Multimedia Properties. Also, if I try to run
> the "Envy Audio Deck", nothing happens (no window appears).
>
> I've tried the drivers from Chaintech and the latest ones from ATI.
>
> So I'm wondering if anyone else has got the on-board sound working
> under Win98SE? And if so, how?

You are of course using speakers with a built in amplifier aren't you?

--
Conor

"Cogito Eggo Sum" - "I think, therefore I am a waffle"

Conor

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Thanks, at least I now know it can work under Win98SE
>
> At first, I suspected it may have been due to IRQ conflicts (for some
> reason a load of things are assigned to share IRQs, while leaving IRQ
> 6 & 12 empty!). But even after disabling things (eg. LAN) to have the
> audio on it's own IRQ, it still doesn't work. Can you tell me what
> IRQs you have everything on? The audio shares IRQ 11 with the Intel
> gigabit LAN here. These are all my IRQs:

> 5 Creative SB Audigy

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So you're trying to run two soundcards in one box?

--
Conor

"Cogito Eggo Sum" - "I think, therefore I am a waffle"

Ginchy

you have a soundblaster installed?? isnt this whats messing things up? have
you tried the onboard sound after removing the audigy?

Your IRQ`s are different from mine ......envy 24 is on irq 11 but its not
shared with the gigabyte lan(in fact i disabled this in the bios as my
normal network would not work with both installed?)

How can I easily copy and paste my irq`s without having to type it cause i
have a whole lot more than you.

ok i sussed it

0 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
0 Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
0 System timer
1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
2 Programmable interrupt controller
3 Communications Port (COM2)
4 Communications Port (COM1)
5 Intel(R) 82801EB SMBus Controller - 24D3
5 Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
5 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4
5 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
5 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
7 Printer Port (LPT1)
8 System CMOS/real time clock
9 PCI OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
9 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE
9 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
9 Inno3D GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X
9 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
9 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
10 MPU-401 Compatible
11 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
11 Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
11 Envy24 Family Audio Controller WDM
11 Intel USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
11 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port

"Ginchy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bsgdtc$nt3$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> you have a soundblaster installed?? isnt this whats messing things up? have
> you tried the onboard sound after removing the audigy?

I've tried removing the Audigy, and also disabling the LAN and USB in
the BIOS, but with no luck.

Conor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) m>...
> You are of course using speakers with a built in amplifier aren't you?

The problem is that nothing shows up in the playback or recording
device lists, so I can't even select the soundcard as my "preferred
device". As I mentioned, "Envy24 Family Audio Controller WDM" does
show up in the Device Manager though, and is apparently "working
properly". It's very strange.

handigator 9cjs dodo Chaintech 0 11-03-2003 05:39 PM
9CJS blue led CN17 question Monkey With A Typewriter Chaintech 1 10-24-2003 12:43 PM
9CJS Trond Kristiansen Chaintech 2 08-06-2003 05:12 PM
Re: 9CJS Ricky Chaintech 1 08-06-2003 10:04 AM
Re: 9CJS - FF display on cbox Forbidden Donut Chaintech 1 07-20-2003 09:31 PM