9NDA3J Sata Support

BH2

Hi guys,
Still collecting parts for my new computer, I have notice that the are a lot
of new Sata II Drives, I know that Sata II is backwards compatible. Does
the 9NDA3J support Sata II in its own right, not just backwards compatible
to Sata I
Thanks Guys, your help is appreciated, between us we will build a great
computer Thanx. I just got a Snazzi III AV.DVD.Evo Capture Card for making
Dvd's, any experiences of this card
Regards
Bob

Jeff Heyen

Bob,

According to the 9NDA3J manual:

"Support Serial ATA, an evolutionary replacement for Parallel ATA IDE
storage
interface .Increases the peak data transfer speed up to 150MB/sec and allows
future enhancements to the computing platform."

The "150MB/sec" indicates that your board will support SATA150, or SATA I.
In other words, it will be backwards compatible with your SATA II drive.

Jeff

"BH2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi guys,
> Still collecting parts for my new computer, I have notice that the are a
> lot of new Sata II Drives, I know that Sata II is backwards compatible.
> Does the 9NDA3J support Sata II in its own right, not just backwards
> compatible to Sata I
> Thanks Guys, your help is appreciated, between us we will build a great
> computer Thanx. I just got a Snazzi III AV.DVD.Evo Capture Card for
> making Dvd's, any experiences of this card
> Regards
> Bob

Margaret Wilson

No, this board supports SATA, not SATA II. Epox's NForce3 boards
support SATA and AGP video. To get SATA II, you'll need to go NForce4
and PCI-E video. I just built a new system using Epox's 9NPA+Ultra
board. It's great so far. Specs:

Epox EP-9NPA+Ultra
AMD Athlon64 3800 (Venice core)
Kingston HyperX PC3200 512MBx2 (dual channel)
Asus N6600 GeForce 128MB video
Seagate 160GB SATA II
Seagate 250GB SATA
NEC ND-3540A DVD writer
Lite-On XJ-HD166S DVD-Rom
Floppy drive
Antec TrueBlue 480w PSU (with 20-24 pin adapter)
Cooler Master Centurion 5 case
Link Depot USB2.0 flash card reader w/ 3 USB2.0 ports

As you can see I used some older parts, as this was a rebuild of what
used to be my 8RDA+. (It's off at Epox getting its caps replaced.)

One of these days, I'll stop building systems with floppy drives, but
I've got so many lying around that I keep throwing them in. Besides,
the can be awfully convenient sometimes. :-)

Regards,

Margaret

BH2 wrote:
> Hi guys,
> Still collecting parts for my new computer, I have notice that the are a lot
> of new Sata II Drives, I know that Sata II is backwards compatible. Does
> the 9NDA3J support Sata II in its own right, not just backwards compatible
> to Sata I
> Thanks Guys, your help is appreciated, between us we will build a great
> computer Thanx. I just got a Snazzi III AV.DVD.Evo Capture Card for making
> Dvd's, any experiences of this card
> Regards
> Bob

BH2

G'day Jeff,
Thanks for the information, appreciated a lot
Regards
Bob
"Jeff Heyen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:KMBkf.3222$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...
> Bob,
>
> According to the 9NDA3J manual:
>
> "Support Serial ATA, an evolutionary replacement for Parallel ATA IDE
> storage
> interface .Increases the peak data transfer speed up to 150MB/sec and
> allows
> future enhancements to the computing platform."
>
> The "150MB/sec" indicates that your board will support SATA150, or SATA I.
> In other words, it will be backwards compatible with your SATA II drive.
>
> Jeff
>

> "BH2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi guys,
>> Still collecting parts for my new computer, I have notice that the are a
>> lot of new Sata II Drives, I know that Sata II is backwards compatible.
>> Does the 9NDA3J support Sata II in its own right, not just backwards
>> compatible to Sata I
>> Thanks Guys, your help is appreciated, between us we will build a great
>> computer Thanx. I just got a Snazzi III AV.DVD.Evo Capture Card for
>> making Dvd's, any experiences of this card
>> Regards
>> Bob

Fred Bloggs

"Margaret Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No, this board supports SATA, not SATA II. Epox's NForce3 boards support
> SATA and AGP video. To get SATA II, you'll need to go NForce4 and PCI-E
> video. I just built a new system using Epox's 9NPA+Ultra board. It's
> great so far. Specs:
>
> Epox EP-9NPA+Ultra
> AMD Athlon64 3800 (Venice core)
> Kingston HyperX PC3200 512MBx2 (dual channel)
> Asus N6600 GeForce 128MB video
> Seagate 160GB SATA II
> Seagate 250GB SATA
> NEC ND-3540A DVD writer
> Lite-On XJ-HD166S DVD-Rom
> Floppy drive
> Antec TrueBlue 480w PSU (with 20-24 pin adapter)
> Cooler Master Centurion 5 case
> Link Depot USB2.0 flash card reader w/ 3 USB2.0 ports
>
> As you can see I used some older parts, as this was a rebuild of what used
> to be my 8RDA+. (It's off at Epox getting its caps replaced.)
>
> One of these days, I'll stop building systems with floppy drives, but I've
> got so many lying around that I keep throwing them in. Besides, the can
> be awfully convenient sometimes. :-)
>
> Regards,
>
> Margaret

Hi Margaret,

Hope you don't mind me butting in on this thread but I have the same
motherboard as you, the Epox 9NPA+Ultra. I'm also new to AMD systems. I have
an Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego, 1 Mb Corsair TwinXL 3200 memory, a couple of
PATa HDDs and an Nvidia 7800 GT OC Gfx card.

I used my Corsair RAM in my previous Pentium 4 based system at its normal
(Auto) settings, I don't overclock, without problems. I now find that my AMD
system suffers from soundloop crashes if my Corsair RAM is run at its
default settings. The only way I can keep my system stable is to reduce my
memory from 400 to 333. I'd be happy to replace the memory as I've had the
Corsair modules a couple of years. I think this is a compatibility issue
rather than duff memory but I'd very much welcome your comments on this.
I've read some quite negative reviews of Kingston memory and I note its
relatively low price. I'd be very interested in more details of your RAM
settings and experience with the Epox 9NPA+9 and the Kingston memory.

Thanks for your attention,

Ron.

BH2

Thanks Margaret, next time I will try the PCI E and Sata II
Regards
Bob
"Margaret Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No, this board supports SATA, not SATA II. Epox's NForce3 boards support
> SATA and AGP video. To get SATA II, you'll need to go NForce4 and PCI-E
> video. I just built a new system using Epox's 9NPA+Ultra board. It's
> great so far. Specs:
>
> Epox EP-9NPA+Ultra
> AMD Athlon64 3800 (Venice core)
> Kingston HyperX PC3200 512MBx2 (dual channel)
> Asus N6600 GeForce 128MB video
> Seagate 160GB SATA II
> Seagate 250GB SATA
> NEC ND-3540A DVD writer
> Lite-On XJ-HD166S DVD-Rom
> Floppy drive
> Antec TrueBlue 480w PSU (with 20-24 pin adapter)
> Cooler Master Centurion 5 case
> Link Depot USB2.0 flash card reader w/ 3 USB2.0 ports
>
> As you can see I used some older parts, as this was a rebuild of what used
> to be my 8RDA+. (It's off at Epox getting its caps replaced.)
>
> One of these days, I'll stop building systems with floppy drives, but I've
> got so many lying around that I keep throwing them in. Besides, the can
> be awfully convenient sometimes. :-)
>
> Regards,
>
> Margaret
>
> BH2 wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>> Still collecting parts for my new computer, I have notice that the are a
>> lot of new Sata II Drives, I know that Sata II is backwards compatible.
>> Does the 9NDA3J support Sata II in its own right, not just backwards
>> compatible to Sata I
>> Thanks Guys, your help is appreciated, between us we will build a great
>> computer Thanx. I just got a Snazzi III AV.DVD.Evo Capture Card for
>> making Dvd's, any experiences of this card
>> Regards
>> Bob

Margaret Wilson

Sorry I didn't realize you already owned the board. Just saw it in
another thread. :-)

Regards,

Margaret

BH2 wrote:
> Thanks Margaret, next time I will try the PCI E and Sata II
> Regards
> Bob
> "Margaret Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> No, this board supports SATA, not SATA II. Epox's NForce3 boards support
>> SATA and AGP video. To get SATA II, you'll need to go NForce4 and PCI-E
>> video. I just built a new system using Epox's 9NPA+Ultra board. It's
>> great so far. Specs:
>>
>> Epox EP-9NPA+Ultra
>> AMD Athlon64 3800 (Venice core)
>> Kingston HyperX PC3200 512MBx2 (dual channel)
>> Asus N6600 GeForce 128MB video
>> Seagate 160GB SATA II
>> Seagate 250GB SATA
>> NEC ND-3540A DVD writer
>> Lite-On XJ-HD166S DVD-Rom
>> Floppy drive
>> Antec TrueBlue 480w PSU (with 20-24 pin adapter)
>> Cooler Master Centurion 5 case
>> Link Depot USB2.0 flash card reader w/ 3 USB2.0 ports
>>
>> As you can see I used some older parts, as this was a rebuild of what used
>> to be my 8RDA+. (It's off at Epox getting its caps replaced.)
>>
>> One of these days, I'll stop building systems with floppy drives, but I've
>> got so many lying around that I keep throwing them in. Besides, the can
>> be awfully convenient sometimes. :-)
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Margaret
>>
>> BH2 wrote:
>>> Hi guys,
>>> Still collecting parts for my new computer, I have notice that the are a
>>> lot of new Sata II Drives, I know that Sata II is backwards compatible.
>>> Does the 9NDA3J support Sata II in its own right, not just backwards
>>> compatible to Sata I
>>> Thanks Guys, your help is appreciated, between us we will build a great
>>> computer Thanx. I just got a Snazzi III AV.DVD.Evo Capture Card for
>>> making Dvd's, any experiences of this card
>>> Regards
>>> Bob

Margaret Wilson

Hi Ron,

I have a matched pair of the HyperX PC3200. I'm running the latest
BIOS, just set the RAM to run at "auto," and on boot, "DDR400" is
displayed. I used this same pair in my 8RDA+, so when I ordered my
9NPA+Ultra, I went to the Kingston site to make sure it would work in my
board. The part number was on the list, so I didn't order new memory.
As this board is supposed to handle double-sided DIMMs in all four
slots, I figured I'd just order a second pair of the same HyperX PC3200
when I upgrade to 2GB down the road.

Anyway, I also have a matched pair of HyperX PC3000 (256MB each), and
one stick of 512MB Corsair XMS. I'd used all three in my 8RDA+ (running
at DDR333 of course), before I overclocked it. (That's when I upgraded
to the DDR400.) Everything worked great there too, although this HyperX
was underclocked. Never tried it without the Corsair stick, so I assume
it would run at spec.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've found HyperX to be great stuff. I also
like Corsair and would probably have gone with that had I bought new RAM
for this new board, as I too have heard some not good comments about
Kingston. But according to the Kingston site, the 9NPA+Ultra will use
their Value RAM. So I don't know why it's not liking the HyperX.

Re software: I installed v6.7 of the NForce4 drivers, but I didn't
install the storage drivers or the firewall, as I've heard some have had
probs with those. I'm running WinXP Pro SP2 with updates. The only
wierdness so far is that Black ICE caused random reboots, so I
uninstalled it and currently use the Windows Firewall (my LAN's behind a
router). I figured once I fine-tune my system, I'll try Black ICE
again, as it's probably conflicting with some service I haven't turned
off yet. :-)

Anyway, I hope the above provides some insight. Sorry I don't have a
magic fix for you. :-)

Regards,

Margaret

Fred Bloggs wrote:

> Hi Margaret,
>
> Hope you don't mind me butting in on this thread but I have the same
> motherboard as you, the Epox 9NPA+Ultra. I'm also new to AMD systems. I have
> an Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego, 1 Mb Corsair TwinXL 3200 memory, a couple of
> PATa HDDs and an Nvidia 7800 GT OC Gfx card.
>
> I used my Corsair RAM in my previous Pentium 4 based system at its normal
> (Auto) settings, I don't overclock, without problems. I now find that my AMD
> system suffers from soundloop crashes if my Corsair RAM is run at its
> default settings. The only way I can keep my system stable is to reduce my
> memory from 400 to 333. I'd be happy to replace the memory as I've had the
> Corsair modules a couple of years. I think this is a compatibility issue
> rather than duff memory but I'd very much welcome your comments on this.
> I've read some quite negative reviews of Kingston memory and I note its
> relatively low price. I'd be very interested in more details of your RAM
> settings and experience with the Epox 9NPA+9 and the Kingston memory.
>
> Thanks for your attention,
>
> Ron.

Margaret Wilson

Forgot to mention that my Corsair XMS is PC2700, DDR333.

Regards,

Margaret

Margaret Wilson wrote:
> [...]
>> I have an Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego, 1 Mb Corsair TwinXL 3200 memory,
>> a couple of PATa HDDs and an Nvidia 7800 GT OC Gfx card.
>>
>> I used my Corsair RAM in my previous Pentium 4 based system at its
>> normal (Auto) settings, I don't overclock, without problems. I now
>> find that my AMD system suffers from soundloop crashes if my Corsair
>> RAM is run at its default settings. The only way I can keep my system
>> stable is to reduce my memory from 400 to 333. I'd be happy to replace
>> the memory as I've had the Corsair modules a couple of years. I think
>> this is a compatibility issue rather than duff memory but I'd very
>> much welcome your comments on this. I've read some quite negative
>> reviews of Kingston memory and I note its relatively low price. I'd be
>> very interested in more details of your RAM settings and experience
>> with the Epox 9NPA+9 and the Kingston memory.

h2so4

Margarate,

Many thanks for your courteous and helpful reply. Although you didn't
provide a magic fix for me you did answer my question in exactly the way I
wanted. My Corsair is a 1gb pair of TwinXL 3200 Pro. These ran perfectly
well in my previous Pentium system. I don't overclock as I can buy the
performance I want. I have overclocked in my earlier and more enthusiastic
computing days but tinkering with my BIOS has lost its charms for me. I'm
far too busy plotting the downfall of Capitalism! I'm very new to AMD and
feel a trifle isolated as a non-overclocker in this unfamiliar milieu.

Anyway, I think I'll give the Kingston HyperX memory a try. Thanks again for
the friendly reply.

Ron.