9NPA+Ultra Won't Start

Jack Spencer

Assembled new system on Dec. 20 with Athlon FX X2 4200, and two 512MB
Corsair DDR 3200 dimms. I do not know if the ram is dual channel or
not. When I start the system, it runs maybe 0.5 sec, then shuts down.
Dimm and chip LED's light, but CPU LED does not. All fans start to
run. System will not attempt restart until power supply is switched
off. It can't be a heat problem, as the heatsink has no chance to warm
up. I reseated the CPU, heatsink/fan, vid card, ram. Quad-checked all
connections. Tried each of 2 sticks of ram, which work in another
computer, and tried different dimm slots. I have tried restarting about
12 times. System has never run more than 1 sec, so never gets to post,
beeps, bios or anything. AMD says it is not likely their CPU but
probably the mobo or bios issue. I would love to contact tech support,
but lost my login PW and can't seem to raise them by email.

Looking for suggestions.

Dennis Gordon

Wow... I put together a new machine yesterday as well and initially had the exact same problem. Lights and fans would come on for one secong and shut down. I needed to unplug the PSU for it to try again. I finally fixed it by wiggling the ATX connector a bit and the power stays on...

BUT

The machine will not POST. This is my 2nd build with the 9NPA+ Ultra and 3800 X2. The first machine is rock solid at 2.54ghz. Runs like a dream.

Here is the post I was about to put up here before I saw your message:

Hi everyone...

I just put all of the parts for a new build together today. It's for a colleague, and I pretty much duplicated the components of my current machine:

3800 X2
Epox 9NPA+ Ultra
LSI SCSI cxontroller
Nvdia Quatro video
2x512 Patriot CAS 2.5
Enermax 460W PSU

Unlike the first machine, which started right up, this one won't boot. With the 2 sticks in, I get a long beep and the LED code C1, which is memory detection related according to the Epox manual. With one stick in, the error code is 03 "Initial Superio_Early_Init_switch" Gee, that helps a lot.

I took the board out of the box and tried with just mem + video caard. Same results.

I tried using the identical Patriot modules from my machine with the same results.

Shall I assume this is a bad board and RMA, or are there any other things I can try first? Any advice appreciated. Thanks...

Given that we're both kinda in the same boat, I'm suspecting a bad batch of boards out there. I'm going to RMA mine back to ChiefValue tomorrow and try a replacement. I like this board a lot... but reading reviews at Newegg, it seems that quite a few people have had ones that were DOA or flaky.

Sorry I don't have any answers... since I have a similar problem... Try fiddling with the cable into the ATX connector and see if that helps you power up...

Dennis

"Jack Spencer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:8ylqf.41329$ih5.41010@dukeread11...
[...]

Thanks for the reply. I got mine from Chief Value also! EPoX tech
support seems non-existant - no contact after 2 days of trying. Guess I
will RMA mine too.

Dennis Gordon wrote:

> [...]
> 512MB Corsair DDR 3200 dimms. I do not know if the ram is dual
> channel or not. When I start the system, it runs maybe 0.5 sec,
> then shuts down. Dimm and chip LED's light, but CPU LED does
> not. All fans start to run. System will not attempt restart
> until power supply is switched off. It can't be a heat problem,
> as the heatsink has no chance to warm up. I reseated the CPU,
> heatsink/fan, vid card, ram. Quad-checked all connections. Tried
> each of 2 sticks of ram, which work in another computer, and tried
> different dimm slots. I have tried restarting about 12 times.
> System has never run more than 1 sec, so never gets to post,
> beeps, bios or anything. AMD says it is not likely their CPU but
> probably the mobo or bios issue. I would love to contact tech
> support, but lost my login PW and can't seem to raise them by email.

Dennis Gordon

This sounds eerily like my last 2 days...;-) I'm returning mine today unless some miracle happens...

Dennis Gordon wrote:
[...]

h2so4

I've just assembled a system using the Epox 9NPA+Ultra. I found that using the Corsair TwinXL 3200 Pro my Epox system suffered from random BSODs and other problems unless I underclocked the Corsair RAM from 400Mhz to 333Mhz. The Corsair memory was not faulty and had worked for 2 years in a Pentium system. I swapped my RAM out for 2Gb Patriot 3200LLK and my system now runs very well. You might try upping your DIMM voltage to 2.75 or 2.8 volts.

Good luck.

Dennis Gordon wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the advice, but our problems are with boards that won't get that far. I'm running Patriot DDR as well (good stuff) but it doesn't do much good if you can't POST...

Dennis Gordon wrote:
[...]

I heard from EPoX tech support today. Here is their reply:

"Dear Sir
Where are your location,Please let me know about your
CPU(ADAxxxxxxxxxx) code and memory type.
Please try to use one dimm memory for your issue chewck again.
Please try to do this and let me know above information for your issue
analyzed.

Thank you for your interest in EPoX products and contacting our support
department. If you reply ensure to include all previous E-mail text. It will
prevent unnecessary delays and guarantee the fastest possible response.

Best Regards,"

Dennis Gordon wrote:

> [...]
>> Assembled new system on Dec. 20 with Athlon FX X2 4200,
>> and two 512MB Corsair DDR 3200 dimms. I do not know if
>> the ram is dual channel or not. When I start the system,
>> it runs maybe 0.5 sec, then shuts down. Dimm and chip
>> LED's light, but CPU LED does not. All fans start to
>> run. System will not attempt restart until power supply
>> is switched off. It can't be a heat problem, as the
>> heatsink has no chance to warm up. I reseated the CPU,
>> heatsink/fan, vid card, ram. Quad-checked all
>> connections. Tried each of 2 sticks of ram, which work
>> in another computer, and tried different dimm slots. I
>> have tried restarting about 12 times. System has never
>> run more than 1 sec, so never gets to post, beeps, bios
>> or anything. AMD says it is not likely their CPU but
>> probably the mobo or bios issue. I would love to contact
>> tech support, but lost my login PW and can't seem to

Dennis Gordon

Well that clears it up....;-)

Dennis Gordon wrote:
[...]

DaveL

Could be a bad or inadequate PSU.

DaveL

KT7-RAID cannot start up? Gabster Abit 8 12-30-2003 02:27 PM
Abit KT7A Raid Hotkeys to start Chevalier D'Aour Abit 1 10-26-2003 02:08 PM
KR7A-RAID lost CMOS & XP fails to start nduffy@cix.compulink.co.uk Abit 0 09-23-2003 03:17 PM
KT7A (Rev1.0) / XP2000+ / WinXP doesn't start Surfwienix Abit 9 08-21-2003 06:15 AM
pc doesn't start up Lenni Abit 11 08-12-2003 05:11 AM