A21m power/boot problem -- what is it and how to fix it?

Mr. Bart

This is the oddest problem. I have an A21m that's been doing good service
for years.

Recently it started hanging up whenever it went into Standby. That is, it
would go into Standby and then wouldn't come out. You had to hold the power
button down 10 seconds to reset, then reboot, to get it to run.

Then I set it not to go into standby when on main power and it went into
Standby anyway! Or something liek standby, and wouldn't come out, as before.

Then, yesterday, when it was turned on it hiccupped and the drive and power
lights flickered in a cycling sequence for a few seconds, and it wouldn't
boot at all. I checked the power cable, of course, and reseated the battery,
but nothing would get it to boot.

So I removed the HD and attached it as an external to another machine so I
could copy the data off of it, then put it back in the A21m. Still no boot.
So I set it aside with the power cable plugged in.

Now, 24 hrs later, I started to look at it again, punched the power button
and it booted fine! Still on main power. I put the PCMCIA 601b/g card back
in and set up to my LAN, went online to a couple sites, and was just getting
ready to start a clean install of Windows XP . . . when it blacked out on
me!

I tried it on battery alone and as before, the flashing of the HD light and
other keyboard LEDs in sequence (all the other lights flash at same time),
and a coughing sound which is the floppy trying to run. Then the only way to
STOP the flashing light and the power to the floppy was to remove the
battery.

So far I've thought
(a) it's probably not battery since I don't run the machine on the battery
very often, and the main power cable is always plugged in.
(b) I don't think it's the power CABLE itself, cause I shook the cable and
it did not fire up the machine.
(c) I wondered if it could be the transformer, but I don't have another IBM
power supply to test with.
(d) the CMOS hasn't ever been replaced, but I can't see how it would cause
these symptoms.
(e) it won't boot off a floppy or a CD either, so it's some system-wide
problem, i'm guessing.

Anyway, does any of this ring a bell with anyone out there? THis machine is
an old favorite that is only used for email and minor web surfing, so is
easily replaced, but I'd prefer to fix it, if I had a clue how.

Many thanks,

Ted Frater

Mr. Bart wrote:
> This is the oddest problem. I have an A21m that's been doing good service
> for years.
>
> Recently it started hanging up whenever it went into Standby. That is, it
> would go into Standby and then wouldn't come out. You had to hold the power
> button down 10 seconds to reset, then reboot, to get it to run.
>
> Then I set it not to go into standby when on main power and it went into
> Standby anyway! Or something liek standby, and wouldn't come out, as before.
>
> Then, yesterday, when it was turned on it hiccupped and the drive and power
> lights flickered in a cycling sequence for a few seconds, and it wouldn't
> boot at all. I checked the power cable, of course, and reseated the battery,
> but nothing would get it to boot.
>
> So I removed the HD and attached it as an external to another machine so I
> could copy the data off of it, then put it back in the A21m. Still no boot.
> So I set it aside with the power cable plugged in.
>
> Now, 24 hrs later, I started to look at it again, punched the power button
> and it booted fine! Still on main power. I put the PCMCIA 601b/g card back
> in and set up to my LAN, went online to a couple sites, and was just getting
> ready to start a clean install of Windows XP . . . when it blacked out on
> me!
>
> I tried it on battery alone and as before, the flashing of the HD light and
> other keyboard LEDs in sequence (all the other lights flash at same time),
> and a coughing sound which is the floppy trying to run. Then the only way to
> STOP the flashing light and the power to the floppy was to remove the
> battery.
>
> So far I've thought
> (a) it's probably not battery since I don't run the machine on the battery
> very often, and the main power cable is always plugged in.
> (b) I don't think it's the power CABLE itself, cause I shook the cable and
> it did not fire up the machine.
> (c) I wondered if it could be the transformer, but I don't have another IBM
> power supply to test with.
> (d) the CMOS hasn't ever been replaced, but I can't see how it would cause
> these symptoms.
> (e) it won't boot off a floppy or a CD either, so it's some system-wide
> problem, i'm guessing.
>
> Anyway, does any of this ring a bell with anyone out there? THis machine is
> an old favorite that is only used for email and minor web surfing, so is
> easily replaced, but I'd prefer to fix it, if I had a clue how.
>
> Many thanks,

Try the following process of elimination.
1. Use get or borrow a volt meter,
2. plug in the psu to the wall socket, and check the output DC voltage
then again say 20 mins later to ensure its still giving the right
outputas per the label. also the plug internal connections and fuse are
tight.
3.If its ok then
4. use the v meter to check the battery for voltage. you may need some
slim strips of metal to make contavct with the recessed terminals.
5.if all that looks ok then the problem will be in the laptop.
6. My gess is its a thermally related poor contact in the processor area.
Also then check and reseat the memory just in case its there where a
high rsistance contact is. also purchase a new cmos battery whilt your
getting everything together and fit that.
As it seems to have progessively gotten worse. its likely to be an
overheated contact thats become corroded. If its one of the microscopic
ones on a major connector its probably terminal for that part.
..
Now if youve never stripped down a laptop before its a tricky job. youll
need to download and print outof IBM's website the maintenance manual.
A lot of pages!! follow this exactly. A bit like a surgical operation!!
youll need a large table cleaer of everything with a good white table
cloth thereon. , and a good light .
If your going to strip down to get to the processor area youll need to
lay out in sequence all parts as you remove them inc the associated
screws. Otherwise youll find youve bits left over on reassembly.
7. youll need a pencil type glass fibre brush, some alcohol q tips
tweezers and the right size pozidrive/ phillips screwdrivers.
A daunting task.Also allow half a day at least for a job like this.
no kids , no cats nor pets nor cups of drinks etc near you during the
process.
there points others might have suggestions I missed.
Examine with a magnifying glass every connector/ contact or plug to
check for overheating discolouration corrosion. Also before dismantling
or removing anything look at it with your glass to dsee if you can see
discolouration . which might indicate the problem area.
Theres been a problem on desktops called chip grouth. thats a thermally
related fault where the alternating heating and cooling causes plug in
chips to slowly over time to climb out of their sockets. Not one ive
encountered in laptops. But might be the case in yours.
Ive cured!! several untraceable faults on other laptops by just
stripping down cleaning all contacts and reassembly. Never found out
what the problems were. However laptops and electronic gear in general
dont like living in damp. or cold or humid enviroments, especially if
you live near the sea. Its condensation moisture that causes the damage.
And good luck.
An A21p user and thinkpad enthusiast..

Mr. Bart

many thanks for this terrifying reply. will take it under advisement. on
the www.thinkpads.com msg board these symptoms seem to be a relatively
common issue with the A21 and A22. There are several threads there in which
users describe more or less the same symptoms I've mentioned here, but none
of the threads provides a clear resolution to the problem. Primary answers
have been the CMOS battery and failure of the power management chips
ADP3421 and the ADP3410.

Another interesting thing is that if I leave the machine alone for 24 hours
or so, then it will boot into windows as normally, but will only run
normally for a few minutes--5 to 10 minutes--before going dark again.

All made stranger by the fact that this is a "house machine," meaning it
NEVER travels, rarely moves off its desk into someone's lap, or downstairs.
SO it hasn't been knocked around at all to speak off. Mostly kid gloves.

news:j6PCd.50$(E-Mail Removed)...

Mr. Bart wrote:
> [...]

>>check for overheating discolouration corrosion. Also before dismantling
>>or removing anything look at it with your glass to dsee if you can see
>>discolouration . which might indicate the problem area.
>>Theres been a problem on desktops called chip grouth. thats a thermally
>>related fault where the alternating heating and cooling causes plug in
>>chips to slowly over time to climb out of their sockets. Not one ive
>>encountered in laptops. But might be the case in yours.
>>Ive cured!! several untraceable faults on other laptops by just
>>stripping down cleaning all contacts and reassembly. Never found out
>>what the problems were. However laptops and electronic gear in general
>>dont like living in damp. or cold or humid enviroments, especially if
>>you live near the sea. Its condensation moisture that causes the damage.

If you decide to have a go!!
lets us know how youve got on with it.
If you brought it to me what I outlined is what id do. however im in
the UK, and your across the water I guess.
good luck.

JHEM

Mr. Bart wrote:

> All made stranger by the fact that this is a "house machine," meaning
> it NEVER travels, rarely moves off its desk into someone's lap, or
> downstairs. SO it hasn't been knocked around at all to speak off.

Pull the main battery and try running it just on AC. Report back.

Regards,

James

Mr. Bart

hey james--

have done this and have the same result. sorry, i should have specified
previously. today i bought the CR2032 battery at Radio Shack, but of course
IBM A21m has that special housing (shrink wrap etc) that somebody on
thinkpads.com says he sliced open to replace the cmos battery.

i may try that tonight. ted frater's process sounds daunting to me. i'm
not sure i'm up to that much careful work.

been trying to get some help (with some success) on www.thinkpads.com. My
threads on this subject are here
http://forum.thinkpads.com/search.php?mode=results

cheers--

"JHEM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Mr. Bart wrote:
> >
> > All made stranger by the fact that this is a "house machine," meaning
> > it NEVER travels, rarely moves off its desk into someone's lap, or
> > downstairs. SO it hasn't been knocked around at all to speak off.

> Pull the main battery and try running it just on AC. Report back.
>
> Regards,
>
> James

Ted Frater

Mr. Bart wrote:
> hey james--
>
> have done this and have the same result. sorry, i should have specified
> previously. today i bought the CR2032 battery at Radio Shack, but of course
> IBM A21m has that special housing (shrink wrap etc) that somebody on
> thinkpads.com says he sliced open to replace the cmos battery.
>
> i may try that tonight. ted frater's process sounds daunting to me. i'm
> not sure i'm up to that much careful work.
>
> been trying to get some help (with some success) on www.thinkpads.com. My
> threads on this subject are here
> http://forum.thinkpads.com/search.php?mode=results
>
> cheers--
>

> "JHEM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>>Mr. Bart wrote:
>>
>>>All made stranger by the fact that this is a "house machine," meaning
>>>it NEVER travels, rarely moves off its desk into someone's lap, or
>>>downstairs. SO it hasn't been knocked around at all to speak off.

>>Pull the main battery and try running it just on AC. Report back.
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>James

I know how you feel! you dont like giving up on it.
If your not too shure about doing it yourself youll need to take your
search a bit wider. As youve a Radio shack near you? youll need to
investigate through their shop staff wether there any laptop enthusiasts
near you, of some one thats a serious computer hobbyist or club/group
that would help you through the process of troubleshooting your problem.
Of course you could always ship it to JEM or B. Markowitz both reliable
Thinkpad technicians, but their expertise isnt cheap.

Do some more chasing first before getting out your tools.
As for the cmos batt, youll need a small sharp knife to open the
shrinkwrap and the bigger problem will be reattaching the 2 wires the
right way and to the nickel plated surface of the penny batt. To re
solder this youll need a reactive flux, a normal electronic one will not
do.Youll need to be very quick otherwise youll overheat the batt.
thats wy there resistance welded .
Again more complications for you im afraid.
Like anything else, if youve the right tools and expertise its an easy job.
Let us all know how you progress.

Mr. Bart

replaced the battery by carefully slicing the yellow plastic battery
shrink-wrap and prying off the two leads, then (temporarily) taping the
leads onto a new battery and replacing the carefully sliced shrink-wrap.

the computer booted fine, had to resent time and date, and that was fine.
then computer ran for about 10-12 minutes, then blacked out as before.

this is pretty much the same thing that happened when I tried to run the
computer yesterday after letting it sit 24 hrs.

not too encouraging. it does sound like a heat-activated deal, I guess.

news:Tu6Dd.9$(E-Mail Removed)...

Mr. Bart wrote:
> replaced the battery by carefully slicing the yellow plastic battery
> shrink-wrap and prying off the two leads, then (temporarily) taping the
> leads onto a new battery and replacing the carefully sliced shrink-wrap.
>
> the computer booted fine, had to resent time and date, and that was fine.
> then computer ran for about 10-12 minutes, then blacked out as before.
>
> this is pretty much the same thing that happened when I tried to run the
> computer yesterday after letting it sit 24 hrs.
>
> not too encouraging. it does sound like a heat-activated deal, I guess.
>

> "Ted Frater" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Tu6Dd.9$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Mr. Bart wrote:
>>
>>>hey james--
>>>
>>>have done this and have the same result. sorry, i should have specified
>>>previously. today i bought the CR2032 battery at Radio Shack, but of

> course
>
>>>IBM A21m has that special housing (shrink wrap etc) that somebody on
>>>thinkpads.com says he sliced open to replace the cmos battery.
>>>
>>>i may try that tonight. ted frater's process sounds daunting to me.

> i'm
>
>>>not sure i'm up to that much careful work.
>>>
>>>been trying to get some help (with some success) on www.thinkpads.com.

> My
>
>>>threads on this subject are here
>>>http://forum.thinkpads.com/search.php?mode=results
>>>
>>>cheers--
>>>

>>>"JHEM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>I know how you feel! you dont like giving up on it.
>> If your not too shure about doing it yourself youll need to take your
>>search a bit wider. As youve a Radio shack near you? youll need to
>>investigate through their shop staff wether there any laptop enthusiasts
>>near you, of some one thats a serious computer hobbyist or club/group
>>that would help you through the process of troubleshooting your problem.
>>Of course you could always ship it to JEM or B. Markowitz both reliable
>>Thinkpad technicians, but their expertise isnt cheap.
>>
>>Do some more chasing first before getting out your tools.
>> As for the cmos batt, youll need a small sharp knife to open the
>>shrinkwrap and the bigger problem will be reattaching the 2 wires the
>>right way and to the nickel plated surface of the penny batt. To re
>>solder this youll need a reactive flux, a normal electronic one will not
>>do.Youll need to be very quick otherwise youll overheat the batt.
>> thats wy there resistance welded .
>>Again more complications for you im afraid.
>>Like anything else, if youve the right tools and expertise its an easy

> job.
>
>> Let us all know how you progress.

Ok, youve made some progress.
Let it stand for 24hrs with the psu plugged in , ie your attempting to
charge up the battery.
In 24 hrs unplug the psu and see if it booots of the battery. this is
to check if the psu is doing its job and charging the battery when the
Thinkpad is switched off.
this will tell you if the psu the charging circuit and battery are in
good shape.
in the meean time some more info for you.
If as I surmise it might be a thermally related fault, these as I
mentioned are either in the connectors or where a solder joint between a
track and a component thats heating up in use,( could be the main
processor.) thats on one of the printed circuit boards.
these can sometimes be seen if you look at every joint on the main
board. Also it could be one of the daughter boards.
Im sure youll get there eventually, itl just take time.
If it was on an IBM corporate leasing It would be swapped out same
day with the hard drives changed over and the faulty unit sent to one of
IBM's leasing repairers. Weve one here that I use for my unsolvable
problem Thinkpads. Ive only had 1 in the past 12 months.

Mr. Bart

"Ted Frater" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:r5gDd.69$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> this will tell you if the psu the charging circuit and battery are in
> good shape.
> in the meean time some more info for you.
> If as I surmise it might be a thermally related fault, these as I
> mentioned are either in the connectors or where a solder joint between a
> track and a component thats heating up in use,( could be the main
> processor.) thats on one of the printed circuit boards.
> these can sometimes be seen if you look at every joint on the main
> board. Also it could be one of the daughter boards.
> Im sure youll get there eventually, itl just take time.
> If it was on an IBM corporate leasing It would be swapped out same
> day with the hard drives changed over and the faulty unit sent to one of
> IBM's leasing repairers. Weve one here that I use for my unsolvable
> problem Thinkpads. Ive only had 1 in the past 12 months.

Done that. Same results. Boots, runs a few minutes, dies. I have not
tried to reseat the CPU, though I have looked in the service manual and it
seems all that is required is pulling the keyboard? The difficulty in have
this fixed is that it'll cost as much to have it fixed as it would to buy a
used one off eBay. I have been wondering if I can sell it "AS IS" on eBay
and expect to get a couple hundred dollars? THat is, with the CPU, CD-ROM,
hard drive, etc. in place. A "for parts" sale.

I bought a pretty nice T23 off eBay last week, so I have that as well as my
main machine fo the moment, so I really don't need this one (the A21m) any
longer. I was hoping to get it running and then eBay it.