A7N266-C and Matrox G450

Jens Mander

Hi,

is there a known problem with the A7N266-C board and the Matrox G450 graphic
card?

The graphicspeed under windows 2000 is not good. The cpu usage is 100% if I
start for example itunes. The mousepointer is flickering when I highlight
the menu.
So I suspected the graphic card.

BC

Jens Mander wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there a known problem with the A7N266-C board and the Matrox G450 graphic
> card?

It appears so....

> The graphic speed under windows 2000 is not good. The cpu usage is 100% if I
> start for example itunes. The mousepointer is flickering when I highlight
> the menu.

> So I suspected the graphic card.

Dear Jens,

from:

http://www.rme-audio.de/techinfo/rme_amd.htm

One user reports compatibility issues with Matrox G450 card and the
nForce 415 chipset (Asus A7N266-C; pops and clicks at lower latencies).
Editorís note: Matrox technicians confirm that they do not presently
test their graphic adapters with the nForce chipset

http://forum.matrox.com/mgaforum/For...ML/008781.html

You can search the forums from here:

http://forum.matrox.com/mga/

On the Asus A7N266-E the user needs to install BIOS v. 1001s or later
and manually set the FSB and memory speed jumpers to 133 to make the AGP
Bus run at nominal speed

Some specific suggestions:

http://www.asusboards.com/forums/sho...threadid=15297

On-board audio shares interrupt with PCI slot 5 and USB (Asus A7N266-C).

http://support.asus.com/faq/faq.aspx...Language=en-us

Question: Why does my system slows down greatly when I plugged Matrox
G450 on A7N266 series motherboards?

Answer
After confirming with nVIdia, it was determined that this is the Matrox
driver issue. The Matrox driver will disable Vgartd.vxd access (AGP
function) whenever Nvidia chipset has been detected. This will cause no
texture memory to be usable, and the 3D performance will be heavily
impacted. Please contact VGA manufacturer for detail information.

BIOS updated?

- Fix S3 resume issue with HDD in slave.
- Support 48-Bit Mode HDD.
- Support "Previous State" for AC Power Loss restart.
- Fix 3Dlabs AGP card display error.
- Patch G450 AGP card delay too long.
- Patch PS/2 mouse will be crazy after S1 resume in Windows

Download:
# A7N266 BIOS 1003
# A7N266-E BIOS 1003
# A7N266-C BIOS 1003

http://forum.matrox.com/mga/viewtopic.php?t=1623

Millenium G450 on Asus A7N266

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This
topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Matrox
Technical Support Forums Forum Index -> Bug Report
View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
RickMay

Joined: 02 Jul 2003

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:51 pm Post subject: Millenium G450 on
Asus A7N266 Reply with quote
According to the ASUS website:
Problem: Why does my system slows down greatly when I plugged Matrox
G450 on A7N266 series motherboards?

Answer

After confirming with nVIdia, it was determined that this is the Matrox
driver issue. The Matrox driver will disable Vgartd.vxd access (AGP
function) whenever Nvidia chipset has been detected. This will cause no
texture memory to be usable, and the 3D performance will be heavily
impacted. Please contact VGA manufacturer for detail information.

I have a G400 that does the same thing so I assume that it is the same
problem.

Is there a fix for this?
Back to top
Leo
Matrox

Joined: 25 Feb 2000
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:47 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

I will look in to this and get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

------------------
Leonardo
Matrox Graphics
Technical Support Supervisor
Back to top
RickMay

Joined: 02 Jul 2003

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 4:52 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Leo:

Are you still looking into this problem?
Back to top
Leo
Matrox

Joined: 25 Feb 2000
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:22 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

Support was dropped for this motherboard due to chipset forcing maximum
retries with bus mastering.

This causes the system to crawl!

The same problem can be found with ATI products in this system.

------------------
Leonardo
Matrox Graphics
Technical Support Supervisor
Back to top
Nick Boulter

Joined: 11 Dec 2003
Location: UK

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:19 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
I presume this would also account for my being unable to get a w2k
system to recognise G400 AGP4+ in A7N266-E. Hardware is recognised after
driver install, but no system resources are used (irq etc) and Matrox
install program says no Matrox card found.
It does not seem possible to make settings correspond to Matrox
recommendations (PNP not settable, USB not settable, AGP 512k ok, ) and
cannot disable onboard VGA from NVIDIA even when setting Display to AGP
mode instead of on board in BIOS.

Crying or Very sad :cry:
Back to top
Leo
Matrox

Joined: 25 Feb 2000
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:14 am Post subject: Reply with quote
This sound likes a different problem all together!

Did you try installing the latest BIOS for your motherboard?

As long as the on-board display adapter is enabled you will have a hard
time installing the drivers.
_________________
Best Regards,

Leonardo
Matrox Graphics
Technical Support Supervisor
Back to top
Nick Boulter

Joined: 11 Dec 2003
Location: UK

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:53 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your speedy response!

I have already upgraded motherboard BIOS to v1004, the latest on the
ASUS website.
it seems almost identical to the v1001 that preceeded it in my machine.
The 'onboard VGA' or 'AGP VGA' seem to have no effect whatsoever !

I read the thread here to indicate that if the Matrox drivers/install
detected an NVIDIA video chipset, there were problems, but I cannot get
the matrox card recognised at all. It works just fine in a system that
has no onboard video, but that m/c is far too slow now.

I have tried removing all trace of all video drivers, using your utilities.
the m/c has two Maxtor HDD, one CD reader, Netgear 311/312 network card
as well as that onboard, no sound at all.

Any further suggestions?

Many thanks

Nick
Back to top
Leo
Matrox

Joined: 25 Feb 2000
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:33 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Is the G450 listed in the device manager?

When the system boots is the Image being displayed on the onboard or the
G450?

If the G450 is not the primary this play adapter you will have to
install the driver through the INF.
_________________
Best Regards,

Leonardo
Matrox Graphics
Technical Support Supervisor
Back to top
Nick Boulter

Joined: 11 Dec 2003
Location: UK

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:12 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
The G400 Max Dual Head is listed in Device Manager only after running
the Matrox setup program (although at the second stage of the program,
after selecting 'English', the program does not find a board and will
not progress)- it is not detected by W2k at any stage. Presumably this
is why it appears in device manager (it has the drivers) but does not
show any resources.

There is no image, ever, on the Matrox board from either output.

I have tried installing the driver by adding it through the .inf, but
still it is not given any resources, and no output.
Back to top
Leo
Matrox

Joined: 25 Feb 2000
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:53 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
If you canít disable the on-board card which card is the primary display
adapter?

Does it make any difference if you change the BIOS setting Primary VGA BIOS?

If the OS doesnít detect a new hardware when the G400 is in the system
then the drivers will never install, and youíre problem is low level (bios)
_________________
Best Regards,

Leonardo
Matrox Graphics
Technical Support Supervisor

I notice this recent thread concerning another older Athlon board:

http://forum.matrox.com/mga/viewtopic.php?t=22628

Did you contact Matrox support?

Also, is this a fresh install of Win2K, or was card added in?

Chipset drivers loaded, updated BIOS, no IRQ conflicts, G450 enabled in
device manager, etc?

Looks like Matrox tech support is pretty good...

HTH,

BC

BC

Jens Mander wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there a known problem with the A7N266-C board and the Matrox G450 graphic
> card?
>
> The graphicspeed under windows 2000 is not good. The cpu usage is 100% if I
> start for example itunes. The mousepointer is flickering when I highlight
> the menu.
> So I suspected the graphic card.

Dear Jens,

which driver did you download? There is a version that requires ".net",
which I refer to as dot nyet, and an "SE" version that does not:

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/co...drivers.php#SE

Drivers page: lots of differnt versions:

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/co...ivers/home.php

Good luck,

BC

Daniel Mandic

Jens Mander wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is there a known problem with the A7N266-C board and the Matrox G450
> graphic card?
>
> The graphicspeed under windows 2000 is not good. The cpu usage is
> 100% if I start for example itunes. The mousepointer is flickering
> when I highlight the menu.
> So I suspected the graphic card.

I think not. I came down to 10-25% usage, with one Window visible, drag
and moving. G450 and XP.
100% must not be the Graphic Usage, while archiving it shows also 100%.

Keep care about the installation and dual-monitor drive settings. Start
Windows with protected mode and delete all unneeded entries (VGA Card
and Monitor/s) in the device manager. Start the installation again...

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic

P.S.: Matrox Hotline, tech Support....

Jens Mander

"BC" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:kppah.31099$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> Jens Mander wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > is there a known problem with the A7N266-C board and the Matrox G450

graphic
> > card?
> >
> > The graphicspeed under windows 2000 is not good. The cpu usage is 100%

if I
> > start for example itunes. The mousepointer is flickering when I

highlight
> > the menu.
> > So I suspected the graphic card.

> Dear Jens,
>
> which driver did you download? There is a version that requires ".net",
> which I refer to as dot nyet, and an "SE" version that does not:

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/co...drivers.php#SE

> Drivers page: lots of differnt versions:
>
> http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/co...ivers/home.php
>
> Good luck,
>
> BC

I downloaded the 5.96.004 May 08, 2006 Driver.

BC

Jens Mander wrote:
> "BC" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:kppah.31099$(E-Mail Removed). com...
>> Jens Mander wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> is there a known problem with the A7N266-C board and the Matrox G450

> graphic
>>> card?
>>>
>>> The graphicspeed under windows 2000 is not good. The cpu usage is 100%

> if I
>>> start for example itunes. The mousepointer is flickering when I

> highlight
>>> the menu.
>>> So I suspected the graphic card.

>> Dear Jens,
>>
>> which driver did you download? There is a version that requires ".net",
>> which I refer to as dot nyet, and an "SE" version that does not:
>>

> http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/co...drivers.php#SE
>> Drivers page: lots of differnt versions:
>>
>> http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/co...ivers/home.php
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> BC

> I downloaded the 5.96.004 May 08, 2006 Driver.

Recommend you try:

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/co...Info.php?id=90

5.96.004 SE
June 29, 2006

The SE version: no ".net" "dot net" required.

From the download site:

"Please uninstall your current drivers using Microsoft Add/Remove
Programs before installing the new drivers. If your Matrox drivers do
not appear in Add/Remove Programs, please use our uninstaller utility."

I notice that the May 8 version is not WHQL, and works with Windows 2003
server too--I think that there is driver code added in that can't be all
that helpful to a Win2K system.

HTH

BC

Daniel Mandic

Jens Mander wrote:

> I downloaded the 5.96.004 May 08, 2006 Driver.

Try 5.93.009. Have worked splendid for me.

P2B-F, iP3, G450 (sold to a good friend, working good in a KT400 and
Athlon XP2600 166FSB now)

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic

VA-503+ and Matrox G450 gunnar FIC 4 02-07-2004 01:11 PM
Win2K SP4, Matrox G450 and DVD problems Dragan Cvetkovic Matrox 7 08-25-2003 12:38 PM
Re: Strange blur colors (Matrox G450) Arthur Hagen Matrox 2 08-21-2003 07:02 AM
Matrox g450 TVout georgess Matrox 4 08-14-2003 04:34 PM
Matrox Marvel G450 TV I/O vs NVIDIA or ATI Don Lindbergh Matrox 0 07-02-2003 12:36 AM