A7N8X Deluxe BIOS Question

Hal Fore

I am using the A7N8X deluxe and recently just upgraded to an Athlon XP 2600
Barton processor. Can someone recommend the highest BIOS settings and still
have stability. I just don't know what each setting actually does. Also, I'm
using 2x 256 Corsair PC 3200 memory chips.

--
Kevin

KCB

"Hal Fore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am using the A7N8X deluxe and recently just upgraded to an Athlon XP

2600
> Barton processor. Can someone recommend the highest BIOS settings and

still
> have stability. I just don't know what each setting actually does. Also,

I'm
> using 2x 256 Corsair PC 3200 memory chips.
>
> --
> Kevin

Every chip behaves differently so you just have to use small changes in
speed and keep checking for stability. There really is no "set it here for
best performance" setting; you need to experiment. You'll also have to slow
down your RAM timings as the frequency rises. Check out
http://www.nforcershq.com/
and
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
and
alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
for loads of help and info.

Doug Ramage

"Hal Fore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am using the A7N8X deluxe and recently just upgraded to an Athlon XP

2600
> Barton processor. Can someone recommend the highest BIOS settings and

still
> have stability. I just don't know what each setting actually does. Also,

I'm
> using 2x 256 Corsair PC 3200 memory chips.
>
> --
> Kevin

Is it a rev 1.xx or rev.2 board?

A Barton 2600 clocks at 1917Mhz (166 x 11.5). Is yours multiplier unlocked?
--
Doug Ramage

Hal Fore

It is a 2.0 board. As for the multiplier being unlocked, I don't know.
"Doug Ramage" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Hal Fore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I am using the A7N8X deluxe and recently just upgraded to an Athlon XP

> 2600
> > Barton processor. Can someone recommend the highest BIOS settings and

> still
> > have stability. I just don't know what each setting actually does. Also,

> I'm
> > using 2x 256 Corsair PC 3200 memory chips.
> >
> > --
> > Kevin
> >

> Is it a rev 1.xx or rev.2 board?
>
> A Barton 2600 clocks at 1917Mhz (166 x 11.5). Is yours multiplier

unlocked?
> --
> Doug Ramage

Doug Ramage

As it's a rev. 2 board, it's more likely (but not guaranteed) to make
200FSB, which is the same speed as your memory.

If the cpu is a new purchase, then it's likely to be multiplier locked at
11.5x.

You may be lucky that your system will run at 2300Mhz, but that is a fair
overclock, especially if you are using a standard HSF.

Nforce2 chipset likes to run the cpu and RAM in sync for best performance.

I would start at around 170 FSB and work upwards. As KCB has already posted,
you will need to experiment.

Make sure your RAM is in the correct slots for dual channel operation.
--
Doug Ramage

"Hal Fore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It is a 2.0 board. As for the multiplier being unlocked, I don't know.
> "Doug Ramage" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Hal Fore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I am using the A7N8X deluxe and recently just upgraded to an Athlon XP

> > 2600
> > > Barton processor. Can someone recommend the highest BIOS settings and

> > still
> > > have stability. I just don't know what each setting actually does.

Also,
> > I'm
> > > using 2x 256 Corsair PC 3200 memory chips.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Kevin
> > >

> > Is it a rev 1.xx or rev.2 board?
> >
> > A Barton 2600 clocks at 1917Mhz (166 x 11.5). Is yours multiplier

> unlocked?
> > --
> > Doug Ramage

Hal Fore

Thanks Doug,
I have been running the FSB at 180 with no problems thus far. How can one
tell if the multiplier is locked?
"Doug Ramage" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> As it's a rev. 2 board, it's more likely (but not guaranteed) to make
> 200FSB, which is the same speed as your memory.
>
> If the cpu is a new purchase, then it's likely to be multiplier locked at
> 11.5x.
>
> You may be lucky that your system will run at 2300Mhz, but that is a fair
> overclock, especially if you are using a standard HSF.
>
> Nforce2 chipset likes to run the cpu and RAM in sync for best performance.
>
> I would start at around 170 FSB and work upwards. As KCB has already

posted,
> you will need to experiment.
>
> Make sure your RAM is in the correct slots for dual channel operation.
> --
> Doug Ramage
>
> "Hal Fore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > It is a 2.0 board. As for the multiplier being unlocked, I don't know.
> > "Doug Ramage" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > "Hal Fore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

XP
> > > 2600

and
> > > still

> Also,
> > > I'm

> > > Is it a rev 1.xx or rev.2 board?
> > >
> > > A Barton 2600 clocks at 1917Mhz (166 x 11.5). Is yours multiplier

> > unlocked?
> > > --
> > > Doug Ramage

Doug Ramage

You could try changing it to (say) 12x in the BIOS, and see what clock speed
is given at boot-up. And/or use a program like cpu-z to see what it reports.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
--
Doug Ramage

"Hal Fore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Doug,
> I have been running the FSB at 180 with no problems thus far. How can one
> tell if the multiplier is locked?
> "Doug Ramage" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > As it's a rev. 2 board, it's more likely (but not guaranteed) to make
> > 200FSB, which is the same speed as your memory.
> >
> > If the cpu is a new purchase, then it's likely to be multiplier locked

at
> > 11.5x.
> >
> > You may be lucky that your system will run at 2300Mhz, but that is a

fair
> > overclock, especially if you are using a standard HSF.
> >
> > Nforce2 chipset likes to run the cpu and RAM in sync for best

performance.

> > I would start at around 170 FSB and work upwards. As KCB has already

> posted,
> > you will need to experiment.
> >
> > Make sure your RAM is in the correct slots for dual channel operation.
> > --
> > Doug Ramage
> >
> > "Hal Fore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > It is a 2.0 board. As for the multiplier being unlocked, I don't know.
> > > "Doug Ramage" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Athlon
> XP

> and

> > Also,

> > > unlocked?

Hal Fore

OK, it appears to be locked.
"Doug Ramage" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You could try changing it to (say) 12x in the BIOS, and see what clock

speed
> is given at boot-up. And/or use a program like cpu-z to see what it

reports.

> http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
> --
> Doug Ramage
>
> "Hal Fore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks Doug,
> > I have been running the FSB at 180 with no problems thus far. How can

one
> > tell if the multiplier is locked?
> > "Doug Ramage" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > As it's a rev. 2 board, it's more likely (but not guaranteed) to make
> > > 200FSB, which is the same speed as your memory.
> > >
> > > If the cpu is a new purchase, then it's likely to be multiplier locked

> at
> > > 11.5x.
> > >
> > > You may be lucky that your system will run at 2300Mhz, but that is a

> fair
> > > overclock, especially if you are using a standard HSF.
> > >
> > > Nforce2 chipset likes to run the cpu and RAM in sync for best

> performance.
> > >
> > > I would start at around 170 FSB and work upwards. As KCB has already

> > posted,
> > > you will need to experiment.
> > >
> > > Make sure your RAM is in the correct slots for dual channel operation.
> > > --
> > > Doug Ramage
> > >
> > > "Hal Fore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

know.

> Athlon
> > XP

settings
> > and

does.
> > > Also,

Doug Ramage

Unfortunately, that's to be expected. The mobile Bartons are unlocked and
have a lower v-core (I am using a mobile 2500 at the moment).

That just leaves you with the FSB and RAM timings to experiment with.
--
Doug Ramage