A7N8X Deluxe, "click" (on/off?) noise from RAID drives, PC freezes/unfreezes constantly.

YouKnow

A7N8X Deluxe, "click" (on/off?) noise from RAID drive, PC freezes
for 10-20 seconds then ok?

I found basically the exact same problem on a web site, getting the
exact same error message in event viewer. Another site mentions
similar problems, but none so far have a concrete solution. Any ideas?

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic24920-pg1.html

For me it's an Asus A7N8X deluxe board, 1 GB Kingston 3200 DDR. 400
Watt Antec Power supply. I'm going to try disconnecting a few things
just in case the PSU is going bad or something, but it is pretty new,
and like I said I haven't changed anything in a while (at least a good
year) My drives that seem to be going off and On are 2 Raptors 36 GB
connected to the onboard Raid SIL3112r. It seems, that when/if I try
to access this array that the click on/off/freezes occur. In fact now
Diskeeper 10 can't even defrag it.

The portion below (taken from the above URL) basically is exactly
what problem I'm having. I have not added any new hardware, or changed
anything in quite some time (at least a year), and this has otherwise
been a rock-solid system.

"Also very important details to this problem:
Motherboard uses nForce2 chipset
SATA Raid adapter is SIL3112r (though on POST screens is says 3112A)

THE PROBLEM:
This problem shows itself by freeze behavior and error log entries.

The freezing is just that, it will seem fine, then boom, it freezes
solid and you can't do

jack for a good 40 seconds. Then it unfreezes and comes to life and
acts like nothing ever

happened. This appears to be the only problem I know about. That is,
maybe it causes other

problems too? But the freezing is the main end result. And this
freezes all activity, not just

HDD operations. In other words, if I have an MP3 playing, it freezes
silent too. Then starts

playing again where it left off when it comes back.

Also, during the "freeze", keyboard strokes and possibly mouse
movements, are still cached. So

when it comes back, letters I was typing will appear, and the cursor
will jump around.

Lastly, it is extremely random. Sometimes it will freeze many times in
a hour. Sometimes it

will run good for days. I could be playing a game, or just reading a
text file and not doing

anything HDD intense. Nothing except the freeze period are timely. I
would venture to say that

the freeze time is dang near exactly the same each time. But
absolutely random to get there.

Promptly after a freeze an error log entry is created:
Type: ERROR
Source: si3112r
ID: 9
"The device, \Device\scsi\si3112r1, did not respond within the timeout
period" "

Thanks for any help!
"I say we create a new airline, called the ACLA,
the American Civil Liberties Airline where you
donít check anybody, you donít ask any questions,
and let those morons fly on that one".

-Dennis Miller

old man

HD noises often indicate a failing drive, youve tried the manu hd checking
utility?
There were acknowledged problems with Sil on this mobo, supposedly cured by
a bios update.
I had this mobo, had to dump it in the end, due to constant raid problems.

"YouKnow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>
> Lastly, it is extremely random. Sometimes it will freeze many times in
> a hour. Sometimes it
>
> will run good for days. I could be playing a game, or just reading a
> text file and not doing
>
> anything HDD intense. Nothing except the freeze period are timely. I
> would venture to say that
>
> the freeze time is dang near exactly the same each time. But
> absolutely random to get there.
>
> Promptly after a freeze an error log entry is created:
> Type: ERROR
> Source: si3112r
> ID: 9
> "The device, \Device\scsi\si3112r1, did not respond within the timeout
> period" "
>
> Thanks for any help!
> "I say we create a new airline, called the ACLA,
> the American Civil Liberties Airline where you
> don't check anybody, you don't ask any questions,

Bill Smith

You may have tried this, but I will suggest it anyway:

Try switching to another PSU power connector, it may be an
intermintant power flow problem due to a poor connector.

Try different SATA cables...

Is there anything at the WD / Asus / NForce site(s) which may relate
to a support issue ? It may be worth a search if you haven't tried it.
Maybe a specific issue with those drives and that chipset...

On Sun, 07 May 2006 07:32:19 -0400, YouKnow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [...]
>
>Lastly, it is extremely random. Sometimes it will freeze many times in
>a hour. Sometimes it
>
>will run good for days. I could be playing a game, or just reading a
>text file and not doing
>
>anything HDD intense. Nothing except the freeze period are timely. I
>would venture to say that
>
>the freeze time is dang near exactly the same each time. But
>absolutely random to get there.
>
>Promptly after a freeze an error log entry is created:
>Type: ERROR
>Source: si3112r
>ID: 9
>"The device, \Device\scsi\si3112r1, did not respond within the timeout
>period" "
>
>Thanks for any help!
>"I say we create a new airline, called the ACLA,
>the American Civil Liberties Airline where you
>donít check anybody, you donít ask any questions,

Paul

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, YouKnow
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> A7N8X Deluxe, "click" (on/off?) noise from RAID drive, PC freezes
> for 10-20 seconds then ok?
>
> I found basically the exact same problem on a web site, getting the
> exact same error message in event viewer. Another site mentions
> similar problems, but none so far have a concrete solution. Any ideas?
>
> http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic24920-pg1.html
>
> For me it's an Asus A7N8X deluxe board, 1 GB Kingston 3200 DDR. 400
> Watt Antec Power supply. I'm going to try disconnecting a few things
> just in case the PSU is going bad or something, but it is pretty new,
> and like I said I haven't changed anything in a while (at least a good
> year) My drives that seem to be going off and On are 2 Raptors 36 GB
> connected to the onboard Raid SIL3112r. It seems, that when/if I try
> to access this array that the click on/off/freezes occur. In fact now
> Diskeeper 10 can't even defrag it.

<<snip>>

There is a thread here you might want to look at.

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/54-v...=asc&start=530

I'd start by backing up the data on the array, just in case. It could
be that a drive is about to go bad. (And if a storage device
shows any signs of flakyness or instability, the last thing you
want to do is defrag it. That is "rolling the dice" thousands of
times in a short interval.)

If WD has a test utility that will work via the SIL3112, I'd
try evaluating the drives. If the drives have SMART stats, you
may want to check if a failure is predicted or not.

Check cabling and power. Pick up some spare SATA cables. Keep track
of which old cable was used with which drive. Replace one or both cables.
That board probably has first generation SATA connectors, and it may
be hard to find a cable that will make a difference with those
connectors. Some of the current motherboard connectors have room for
a "hook" on the newer cables, that gives a more positive retention
of the connector. Placing a new cable on an old connector won't help,
as there is no place for the hook to grip. But you have to try anyway.

It sounds like the driver for the array, is trying to access the disks,
and is not getting a response. The SIL3112 chip could be responsible
for the freeze. But knowing the reliability of disk drive technology,
it could very well be a drive is going bad, and the chip is just fine.
As long as your BIOS is recent enough, that is about the best you
can do for the SIL3112.

The fact that keyboard, mouse activity is queued, means the system
is still responsive to interrupts and really isn't frozen. Your
problem is down in the storage subsystem, somewhere...

Paul

YouKnow

Ok, so replaced the one Raptor, and all seems just fine now, so
indeed, as I suspected the harddrive was going bad, powering itself
off/on constantly.

However, upon testing the Antec true power 430 (it's about 1 1/2
years old) with the Antec PSU tester sold at Circuit City, it came up
as "marginal" (both pass and fail lights came on) So anyone know how
accurate these testers are? I really wouldn't want a dieing PSU to
start killing this replacement drive...maybe that was the cause of the
first one dieing?

Thanks again for those who replied!
"I say we create a new airline, called the ACLA,
the American Civil Liberties Airline where you
donít check anybody, you donít ask any questions,
and let those morons fly on that one".

-Dennis Miller

old man

No idea how accurate the tester is, but a failing psu can certainly give
rise to hd probs.
I know, my Antec did

"YouKnow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok, so replaced the one Raptor, and all seems just fine now, so
> indeed, as I suspected the harddrive was going bad, powering itself
> off/on constantly.
>
> However, upon testing the Antec true power 430 (it's about 1 1/2
> years old) with the Antec PSU tester sold at Circuit City, it came up
> as "marginal" (both pass and fail lights came on) So anyone know how
> accurate these testers are? I really wouldn't want a dieing PSU to
> start killing this replacement drive...maybe that was the cause of the
> first one dieing?
>
> Thanks again for those who replied!
> "I say we create a new airline, called the ACLA,
> the American Civil Liberties Airline where you
> don't check anybody, you don't ask any questions,
> and let those morons fly on that one".
>
> -Dennis Miller

Rob

YouKnow wrote:

>Ok, so replaced the one Raptor, and all seems just fine now, so
>indeed, as I suspected the harddrive was going bad, powering itself
>off/on constantly.
>
> However, upon testing the Antec true power 430 (it's about 1 1/2
>years old) with the Antec PSU tester sold at Circuit City, it came up
>as "marginal" (both pass and fail lights came on) So anyone know how
>accurate these testers are? I really wouldn't want a dieing PSU to
>start killing this replacement drive...maybe that was the cause of the
>first one dieing?
>
>Thanks again for those who replied!
>"I say we create a new airline, called the ACLA,
>the American Civil Liberties Airline where you
>donít check anybody, you donít ask any questions,
> and let those morons fly on that one".
>
>-Dennis Miller

WD drives like to use +5vdc a good bit. I've got an Antec TP430 also,
bout as old as yours and the +5 has been decaying lately. Maybe they had
some weak components around that time frame. They have a 3 year warranty
on them, so I guess I'll put my standby in, when I send it for repair.
Suggest you do that too. A spare PSU is always good to have.
Rob

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Ok, so replaced the one Raptor, and all seems just fine now, so
> indeed, as I suspected the harddrive was going bad, powering itself
> off/on constantly.
>
> However, upon testing the Antec true power 430 (it's about 1 1/2
> years old) with the Antec PSU tester sold at Circuit City, it came up
> as "marginal" (both pass and fail lights came on) So anyone know how
> accurate these testers are? I really wouldn't want a dieing PSU to
> start killing this replacement drive...maybe that was the cause of the
> first one dieing?
>
> Thanks again for those who replied!

That motherboard will draw most of its power from the +5V rail.
Get a cheap multimeter and connect it to a disk drive connector.
A disk drive connector has +5V, +12V, and two ground signals.
Set your meter to volts_DC, you can measure and see exactly how
far off from the ideal values it is.

The label on the side of the supply will say something like
5V +/- 5%. That means the voltage can range from 4.75V to
5.25V. You can use the meter to see if it is still meeting that
spec. Normally the supply should be doing better than that.

Paul

KT7A-RAID: non RAID disk on RAID port Oodini Abit 6 08-23-2004 11:52 AM
A7N8X, A7N8X-X, A7N8X-E, etc KWW Asus 14 05-30-2004 08:43 AM
noise noise please go away! 7xchamp Dell 12 01-26-2004 03:07 AM
A7N8X Deluxe: Possible to have IDE raid 0 AND serial ATA raid 0 at same time? How?? John Q. Public Asus 6 01-17-2004 08:23 AM
A7N8X deluxe sata RAID + ide RAID Spacey Spade Asus 20 12-07-2003 12:03 AM