A7V8X and fsb200 cpus

pb

Although I know this board doesnt officially support fsb200 processors like
the XP3200+, is it correct that I could still use one at 166 and then
increase the multiplier to compensate (assuming its unlocked)?

Also, is running the A7V8X at an fsb of 200 reliable, of course using PC3200
RAM? Have people seen any problems due to PCI/AGP overclock? Then I guess
you'd be able to use an FSB 400 CPU properly.

My board is the newer version with the 333 sticker btw.

Hippy Paul

It just seems a strange way to go about things - ie buying a 350 processor
and running it like a 70 one.

The issue is that the via kt400 chipset does not support 200 fsb. Even
though the board may have settings for 230fsb it can not do it.

Due to the pci/agp issue you may if you are extremely lucky get to 185fsb
though more likely 180mhz or under.

I do not have ram that can run at 200fsb so I have never tried running ram
out of synch with the cpu, but it might be possible to run the cpu at 166
and the ram at 200fsb.

I would suggest that if you have the sort of cash to buy a 3200+, to buy an
nforce2 board and hunt about for an unlocked 2500+ (failing which maybe a
2600+ or 2800+ Barton) and overclocking that - it would work out cheaper and
be a better performing system than the kt400.

Even the locked 2500+ Bartons can do 200fsb - so that would still be an
instant 3200+ - if you had an nforce board (or something) that could do
200fsb.

news:_ryub.10209$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...